47 wsm temp difference

Trialling my 47 wsm tonite but got grill probes on both racks just to work it out, seems to be a good,10-12 degrees difference between the racks obviously hotter on lower rack, is this normal. Screenshot_20210508-195633_Inkbird Pro.jpg

Just an edit , the top rack is the hottest, I'm using lump to season, play with temp control and filled waterpan up till about 2 inches from top

Doesn't surprise me that there is a small difference. I wouldn't be concerned with a ten degree difference, it's not really going to effect your cooking. Are you placing the probes in the center of the grates?

There is NO one set temperature difference.
Any temperature differences are modified by conditions within the WSM.
Those conditions include (but not limited to) :
If water is used or not used in the pan, Which grate(s) have meat on them, Position of measuring temperature instrument inside WSM, and at What stage of cooking you are at.

Last edited:
sometimes you can see the temps come closer together during the cook, I dont use water but use the water pan as a heat shield...Ive done muliple whole chicken on top and bottom grate and one would take the lead in temperature but the other would catch up to a few degrees difference near the end

Back