40-140-4 Rule ???????

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
Has anybody heard of this rule?

40F-meat temp when starting to smoke
140F-IT of meat
4-must reach 140 by 4 hours

I read this on a different site. I have never really paid attention to this. Do you fallow this rule? Wouldn't any little bad things die off at 160?

That's a very general rule based on safety measures described by the gov't. Basically it goes like this: if you remove food from a 40*F fridge, the surface of whole muscle meats should be raised to 140*F or above within 4 hours. 40 to 140 in 4.

Actually, various temps held at various times result in safe cooking. If you'll search for some old threads by Kevin Kruger you'll get a really good idea of food safety: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39803-The-Kruger-Safety-Compilation-v0-1

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...food-handling/danger-zone-40-f-140-f/CT_Index

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
In fact the little bad things die off at 127.5F or higher. It's just almost instant at 160.

This rule is WAY MORE important in reverse when cooling down for storage than for heating up/cooking. As there's no 160 temperature coming to kill anything that grew during cooling.

Jacques Pepin, on not washing raw chickens: if the bacteria can survive that oven he deserves to kill me

Last edited:
In fact the little bad things die off at 127.5F or higher. It's just almost instant at 160.

This rule is WAY MORE important in reverse when cooling down for storage than for heating up/cooking. As there's no 160 temperature coming to kill anything that grew during cooling.

Jacques Pepin, on not washing raw chickens: if the bacteria can survive that oven he deserves to kill me

I agree. I believe more folks get food borne illness from mishandling after the cook than before.

Gotta love Jacques.

Dwain,

What if you inject? Are you then introducing bad little things into your solid piece of meat now?

Thats only relevant for special situations like dry curing or low slow sous vide.

Cook your BBQ to proper temperatures and it doesn't particularly matter how long they take to get there within reason.

I agree with you Dave. I have never paid much attention to this rule, and nor have I ever gotten sick from BBQ.

I also agree that the rule is far more important when cooling down. The thread that Dwain referenced of Kevin Krugers compliation is a treasure trove of great info. I refer to it regularly.

Dwain,

What if you inject? Are you then introducing bad little things into your solid piece of meat now?

Some say injection pierces the food and drives pathogens on the surface deep into the food. I don't particularly subscribe to the theory. I say use a clean needle and clean injection material and you"ll benefit from the outcome.

The same folks will tell you not to insert your food thermometer in the food until the surface is at least 140*F. I don't subscribe to that one either. I clean my thermometer and insert it when the food goes on. ...if I use one at all.

...but I am not food scientist. I am a simple backyard cook. YMMV.

Last edited:
Some say injection pierces the food and drives pathogens on the surface deep into the food. I don't particularly subscribe to the theory. I say use a clean needle and clean injection material and you"ll benefit from the outcome.

The same folks will tell you not to insert your food thermometer in the food until the surface is at least 140*F. I don't subscribe to that one either. I clean my thermometer and insert it when the food goes on. ...if I use one at all.

...but I am not food scientist. I am a simple backyard cook. YMMV.

The concern isn't only about the thermometer. Theoretically, there could be bacteria right on the spot that you stick your probe/injector in. The bacteria could be driven down inside the meat where it would multiply until the internal temp reached 140ish. Additionally, while the bacteria itself would eventually be killed, some give off toxic spores that aren't destroyed by heat.

In my estimation, chances of this happening are about a bazillion to one. :D

Back