3D printing an old part

Looks great and giving it a good test will show whether it is the answer it appears to be - unless you would rather get some of mine and clean them up!

View attachment 94277
Jon, you have a lifetime supply of those babies. I have a fair amount of them myself. I'm not sure what the end result of this little experiment will be yet, especially if the button can't be reproduced to my satisfaction.

Jon, you have a lifetime supply of those babies. I have a fair amount of them myself. I'm not sure what the end result of this little experiment will be yet, especially if the button can't be reproduced to my satisfaction.
Steve,
I like what you are doing and hope very much that you can expand into even more classic Weber parts as they get harder and harder to find.

My SIL and daughter are into all this fantasy stuff. So they like to hit these comicons or some such thing. Where they dress up like old times and carry fake swords and such. So he 3d prints all their props. They're really into Lord of the Rings type of thing. I really don't know better way to describe

Looks pretty darn good to me. Did you try to install it in a control panel and use it?

What is the time factor and cost to do that?
Not sure how long the printer took to make the parts. I walk away from it after it starts going. You can set it to make multiple parts at the same time though. The filament costs roughly $10 a lb. I'm totally new to this so I still don't really know what I'm doing yet.

That is cool Steve. Those 3D printers are amazing machines. I would love to pick one up, but I just can't really justify the cost and I cant really justify another hobby. BUt it would be nice for when we are in the off season for grill rehabbing.

The cost of capital acquisition of the printer and potentially some software may be the single biggest expenditure for most folks. Time to design and slice a model is also not necessarily short. The material cost per object may very be the smallest single expenditure, okay, maybe electricity. Time..... start the print and walk away, as @Steve Hoch has noted.

For anybody who's contemplating getting into this, check with your local library, they may have printers for public use. Fortunately, once you have the STL files, going from printer to printer shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Oh, and I do like how that switch looks.

My son has a resin 3D printer for making small detailed models. I wonder if it could use the same file as a filament printer and how different it would be.

I have several of those OEM ignitor switches only to have missing the outer piece which always seems to crack and break especially upon removal. Have you tested just the outer piece with the OEM inside part of the switch.

Back