304 Stainless Steel Charcoal Baskets Heavy Duty Premium

I got a pair for my birthday and have been busy using them and failed to post the triumphant arrival of these beautiful pieces of equipment! I might order a second set for my sister in laws cottage grill! Maybe I'll get a second for myself and take the old original set to he lake. I have until next summer to decide.
Tomorrow, I will be doing the bi weekly maintenance of the two kettles and get them ready for the rest of the week!

Hey guys!

I saw how much people liked these and ordered up another 500 sets. With any luck they should be available on Amazon in 3 weeks. I apologize for the delay :)

A massive request: If you are interested in these PLEASE order them through the initial link that Chris posted on this thread so this forum gets the financial support: <LINK DELETED>

Folks, I saw a few folks asking about timeline for availability so here is my best guess:

304 Stainless Steel Hinged Grate for 22.5 inch kettles: October 15th
304 Stainless Steel Charcoal Baskets: October 30th
304 Stainless Steel Grate for 18.5 inch WSM: November 15th

I will work with Chris (assuming he is agreeable) to get links posted when parts become available.

I deeply appreciate the interest and support. Thank you!

David, do you have the price worked out on the 22.5 and 18 stainless grates yet, also are you going to make the lower grate for the 18 wsm to?

David, do you have the price worked out on the 22.5 and 18 stainless grates yet, also are you going to make the lower grate for the 18 wsm to?

Steve, the final pricing is going to depend heavily upon freight shipping costs and I have not received final quotes yet.

Probably the hinged 22.5 will be in the $49 range and the 18.5 will be in the $39 range.

I haven't made up my mind about the lower grate. On one hand it needs to be available as a matter of principle. The WSM is such an amazing smoker it simply deserves to have these available. I have no idea if anyone would actually be interested in paying a premium for a lower grate.

Is it OK if I ask a silly question? What's the advantage of a stainless grate over the standard one?

Not a silly question at all!

The standard grates will start rusting as soon as the chrome plating wears out.

1. Some people hate cooking on a rusty grate and would prefer to cook on a grate that will not rust.
2. Depending upon how much you abuse your equipment the standard grate will rust out and need to be replaced every couple of years. Some people would rather buy a grate that they won't have to throw away in a few years.

Stainless steel grates do not give better grill marks, cook better, etc. Stainless grates perform the exact same as standard grates but last much longer.

Not a silly question at all!

The standard grates will start rusting as soon as the chrome plating wears out.

1. Some people hate cooking on a rusty grate and would prefer to cook on a grate that will not rust.
2. Depending upon how much you abuse your equipment the standard grate will rust out and need to be replaced every couple of years. Some people would rather buy a grate that they won't have to throw away in a few years.

Stainless steel grates do not give better grill marks, cook better, etc. Stainless grates perform the exact same as standard grates but last much longer.

I've had my 18.5"WSM now for about a dozen years... I'd guess that I have no less than 8 to 10 rusty gross grates piled up in my storage bin as I'm one of those folks that doesn't like to cook on rust. I've probably tossed a few others.

I'd certainly be interested in a stainless option once available!

I'm definitely interested in the long run, but having put so much into grills this year I don't think I'll be upgrading my grates just yet.. they're brand new mostly. I see the value in it in the long run though. The baskets though, I will think about. I have the weber ones but of course they started rusting almost immediately. Though, I made burgers on a cast iron griddle while the baskets were in there (empty) and the griddle wasn't the only thing to get seasoned :)

Last edited:
Nice! Will they be thicker than Weber OTG grates?

Hector, the 22.5 inch grates are the exact same thickness and dimensions of the Weber grates. The grate for the 18.5 WSM will be about 20% thicker than the original. The baskets are about twice as thick as the original.

Any more info on where and when I can purchase some of these products? That amazon link at the top just sends me to the baskets but only a third party is selling.

Alex,

The grates for the 22.5 inch kettles have been shipped to the Amazon warehouses. It usually takes 2 weeks for Amazon to receive and process a shipment.
The baskets will be shipped to Amazon next week.
The top grate for the 18.5 WSM will arrive in November.
A bottom grate for the 18.5 WSM (doubles as a charcoal grate for 22.5 kettles) will arrive in December.

Apologies for the delays....I am an old hand at barbecue but a rookie at international supply chain management.

Back