2nd Smoke: 10# Pork Butt

CTobin

For my second smoke I decided to make a 10# bone in pork butt from the local butcher. I aimed to get the butt in the smoker on saturday at 5am and see when it would take me to. I ended up using the renowned mr brown recipe and rubbed the but friday night and let sit in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap for about 10hrs. Woke up and got the WSM goin and the meat went on at around 8am, a little later than expected.

Here's a pic of the rubbed meat all artistic in the morning light.
uP32YZd.jpg

During the day my temperatures were pretty consistent and steady between 230-240. I used natural lump charcoal which i have been pretty happy with along with apple and hickory chunks. Honestly the smoke went really well with some refills of charcoal. Where it became a bit of a pain was at night once the temperatures dropped and wind picked up a bit. I had a struggle with temps but i was able to get it under control and deal. The stall was so unbearable but I said I would not wrap and waited it out. It took a total of 19hours and 51 minutes to bring it up to 199 degrees before i threw in the towel and needed to get some sleep as I had work in 2hours. I took it off let it sit in foil for another hour and 15minutes and pulled my delicious piece of meat.

Here's the meat after taking it out of the smoker
hEpjWrO.jpg

Clean Bone
A4LBKyG.jpg

and finally pulled
h6MlkKO.jpg

Overall it came out AMAZING! easily the best pulled pork i've ever tasted which is surprising. Others have given me great compliments on it too so I guess it was pretty good. It was long and tedious and brought me into the wee hours of the day but in the end... I can't wait to do it again and smoke a ton more. Very excite about this new hobby of mine.

Happy smoking!

Same thing here, I did not know or understand the stall... I had to go somewhere and it was not done, so I just left it on there, came back it was almost there and pulled it anyway and was really good...

Hey CTobin, were your temps from the dome thermometer? My thought is your grate temps may be off a little (I know mine is off by almost 25 degrees). If you were actually running lower that 230, it does stretch out your overall cook times. Look into the Maverick wireless thermometers, if you don't have one yet. helps to know actual temps at the grate. At least for me. End results are what matters, looks darn fine to me. Well done Sir!

That looks awesome! I usually start my butts at 2am. That gives me a safety zone, so I know it will be ready for dinner.

Looks like it turned out great. I agree, you were probably at a lower temp than you thought. I cook 8-9 pound butts in 9 hours at 275*. A couple of questions:

- What is "I ended up using the renowned mr brown recipe"?
- What sort of grill / smoker were you using?

Looks like it turned out great. I agree, you were probably at a lower temp than you thought. I cook 8-9 pound butts in 9 hours at 275*. A couple of questions:

- What is "I ended up using the renowned mr brown recipe"?
- What sort of grill / smoker were you using?

The recipe is this link
and i'm using the WSM 18.5"

I was using my maverick et733 and recently used boil water test to check accuracy and both probes were reading close to exact.

Hey CT. That meteorite looks fantastic. Great cook.

haha yea looking back I see that it should not be that dark. I'm not sure how it got that way, in the beginning of the smoke I had a lot of white smoke. Do you think that would have contributed? I went till the bird hit 199.

20hrs is a really long time. Try doing a high heat cook 325-350°. Remove the water pan and start with a full chimney of lit on top of about half a ring of unlit. I start fat side down, flip at 100°IT foil at 160° and pull at around 200°. First butt i did that way was around 9 lbs and took about 7.5hrs. Was one of the best butts I've ever done! Its fun to do too.
Did a 15lb brisket for Super Bowl Sunday high heat too. Took just under 5hrs!

Last edited:

Back