2nd generation Weber Summit charcoal

I was hell bent on getting an egg.. now I'm totally confused on which to get ... cant really see this for a hands on like going to Ace to see an egg.. but it appears to be built like a tank.. i wonder if food would retain moisture like they say with ceramics..

Hmm I wonder if this is really a true second generation or just an addition to the existing line up. At least on the surface there is no gas assist, they simplified the triangle so it is less material, they removed the tool holder, and added casters to the back. The real question is did they remove anything else on the interior or modify the way it works.

I could see it being the "second generation" for the non cart version, but I wonder if grilling center is going to be sticking around or how they might modify it to get to a lower price point. I could also easily seeing this being a entry level Summit with the two other offerings sticking around with some changes. There are a number of people that don't even use the gas assist on their Summit and their competitors in the Kamado market do not have gas assist so it makes sense to axe it or at least make it an add on.

I was hell bent on getting an egg.. now I'm totally confused on which to get ... cant really see this for a hands on like going to Ace to see an egg.. but it appears to be built like a tank.. i wonder if food would retain moisture like they say with ceramics..

Supposed to very similar.

The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill is a metal, kamado style grill, and smoker. Instead of the traditional ceramic body, this unit has an 'air insulated' body, meaning there is an inner and outer body that is separated by a sealed space that promises the same heat retention.

Supposed to very similar.

The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill is a metal, kamado style grill, and smoker. Instead of the traditional ceramic body, this unit has an 'air insulated' body, meaning there is an inner and outer body that is separated by a sealed space that promises the same heat retention.
So if you were looking to get into the kamado world.. would you go for the summit or the egg?? Just curious on your thoughts...

In the automotive world this is known as decontenting. GM did it for years. Introduce a model with a top-level trim, like LTZ, and all the bells and whistles. Then, over the course of a few model years, take off a bell here, a whistle there.

Anyone else notice that on the "new" base model the tool holder is missing, too?

Edit: 🤦‍♂️ reading comprehension fail. Bill - MO already noted the missing tool hanger.

Last edited:
So if you were looking to get into the kamado world.. would you go for the summit or the egg?? Just curious on your thoughts...
I've heard nothing but good things about the Summit. I'd go with it simply because I love grilling/smoking on my Performer and I've heard the Summit is an even better experience.

I'd also be a little concerned using a BGE or other ceramic grills simply because they are more fragile than the Weber alternative. Love the Weber customer service as well.

I guess with the 2nd gen, they wanted to lower the price point and to do that they removed some features. Maybe they will/could sell those accessories as add-ons now.

I wonder if grilling center is going to be sticking around
Weber Summit Grilling Center will still be with us, still with gas ignition.

Don't know if other "content" inside the grill is being eliminated.
they simplified the triangle so it is less material, they removed the tool holder, and added casters to the back
Boy, that triangle is much less substantial than the current one. I wonder if the missing tool hook is just an error in photography? You'd think a grill of this caliber without a side table would include a tool hook.

Boy, that triangle is much less substantial than the current one. I wonder if the missing tool hook is just an error in photography? You'd think a grill of this caliber without a side table would include a tool hook.

Well, this would follow the BGE model of charging a high price point for the grill itself, then nickel and diming you for every accessory they can. This is definitely another sign that this grill is a direct competitor to the BGE and not necessarily targeted to typical Weber guys. Just my opinion.

You didn't ask me, but I'll give you some input anyway. Lol. My huge concern with the ceramic kamado grills are that they crack. Secondly, from what I've heard from people that have used them, while one of the advantages is that the ceramic holds heat so well, but to me all that really translates to is I would use less charcoal. That isn't anywhere near a good enough reason to spend that kind of money. And, if you overshoot the temp it is very difficult to get the temp back down. The Summit is marketed as far more workable since it's double walled metal (imagine a Yeti type tumbler), so it has the heat retention benefits, but also can be cooled down easier and won't crack like the ceramic.

But, here's what I keep coming back to. What can a $1000 Summit Charcoal or $1200+ BGE do that a Weber Kettle (~$100) and a 18 WSM (~$300) combo can't do? In fact, a case can be made that the Kettle alone can do everything a kamado can do.

I think the kamado grills are a bit of a marketing deal. They are big, shiny, and distinctively colored. Just looking at them, they are pretty. And, I can see the appeal for people that want to jump into charcoal and when they spend all that money and get the shiny, heavy grill they kind of feel like they made a good investment.

But, it all leads back to my question of why Weber is getting into the kamado market at all. I've said it since they first announced the Summit Charcoal. They aren't going to turn any of the cult-like BGE owners, and typical Weber owners aren't jumping in to get the Summit Charcoal grills, clearly. I've always said they would be far better off making a double walled Kettle, in a variety of colors, with the diffuser they sell in other markets. Slap a $400 price tag on it and you'll sell a bunch of those bad boys.

I can see how the Summit charcoal would be a nice alternative to the heavy crack-able BGE. But I don't really get the kamado thing either.

The only real advantage I can see is maybe cold/bad weather performance?

MikeLucky I agree. Course a couple Komodo Kamados would look nice. Not sure I like the idea of smoldering instead of burning in such well insulated cookers but people swear by them.
Ps. Anyone compare the taste of a smokefire to a Karubecue?

Well, this would follow the BGE model of charging a high price point for the grill itself, then nickel and diming you for every accessory they can. This is definitely another sign that this grill is a direct competitor to the BGE and not necessarily targeted to typical Weber guys. Just my opinion.

You didn't ask me, but I'll give you some input anyway. Lol. My huge concern with the ceramic kamado grills are that they crack. Secondly, from what I've heard from people that have used them, while one of the advantages is that the ceramic holds heat so well, but to me all that really translates to is I would use less charcoal. That isn't anywhere near a good enough reason to spend that kind of money. And, if you overshoot the temp it is very difficult to get the temp back down. The Summit is marketed as far more workable since it's double walled metal (imagine a Yeti type tumbler), so it has the heat retention benefits, but also can be cooled down easier and won't crack like the ceramic.

But, here's what I keep coming back to. What can a $1000 Summit Charcoal or $1200+ BGE do that a Weber Kettle (~$100) and a 18 WSM (~$300) combo can't do? In fact, a case can be made that the Kettle alone can do everything a kamado can do.

I think the kamado grills are a bit of a marketing deal. They are big, shiny, and distinctively colored. Just looking at them, they are pretty. And, I can see the appeal for people that want to jump into charcoal and when they spend all that money and get the shiny, heavy grill they kind of feel like they made a good investment.

But, it all leads back to my question of why Weber is getting into the kamado market at all. I've said it since they first announced the Summit Charcoal. They aren't going to turn any of the cult-like BGE owners, and typical Weber owners aren't jumping in to get the Summit Charcoal grills, clearly. I've always said they would be far better off making a double walled Kettle, in a variety of colors, with the diffuser they sell in other markets. Slap a $400 price tag on it and you'll sell a bunch of those bad boys.

Well said!!! That idea doubled walled kettle would be outstanding! You make some great points! Just wish weber made a larger performer and I would be all over it.

Weber Summit Grilling Center will still be with us, still with gas ignition.

Don't know if other "content" inside the grill is being eliminated.

I am just doing the math and from what I can see on the exterior it doesn't look like it warrants a $500 price drop. I mean removing the gas ignition and some of parts that made it look more substantial/premium quality might be $200 or $300. I will stay optimistic that this is a solid deal with all of the features/accessories as the previous version. If someone wants the more substantial lower rack then I wouldn't doubt if the old one could be ordered and installed.

Assuming these are the only differences between the new model and the old model then the new model is kind of a no brainer if paying full retail. Gas ignition really isn't worth the $500 upgrade. I mean I have parts to put it into one of my performers and just never got around to it because the chimney and a starter cube works just fine. Now I am just curious about what is going on with the Grilling Center and if we will see any substantial changes there.

To me, it seems to reflect Weber's regular kettle concept. None of the tripod kettles have the gas ignition system. You'd have to step up to the one mounted in a cart to get that (Performer), and that's a substantial price increase. The Master Touch front handle has built in hooks, but otherwise, you will need to buy an accessory. So, I think that Weber just decided to maintain the same idea for the Charcoal Summit, especially if Chris's sources are correct about the cart model retaining the gas ignition. If they are truly aiming to be more competitive in the kamado market, it'll probably still retain the two-level charcoal system, deflector plate, rear lid hinge, tilt and swivel top-centered vent, and double-walled insulation. Throw in Weber's legendary customer service, warranty, and the durability of porcelain coated steel, and this becomes a very compelling option for anyone looking to spend the money for a kamado. Here's the kicker: the ash sweeps. No other competitor has this (that I'm aware of), and being able to easily dump ashes is almost a rewarding experience. The Kamado Joe has a little ash tray that slides out, but I think all the others have just the small sliding door for the user to slide in a scoop to pull out the ash and try to not make a mess. I can't tell from the photos if the port is still there to attach a blower fan for use on long smoke sessions, but I'd realllllllyyy hope it is.

If Weber is calling something a Summit, it's meant to be their top-of-the-line offering for either gas or charcoal. I think this is grate (great) for a two tiered option. The Charcoal Summit, for a premium do-it-all; and the Charcoal Summit "Performer" for those who have the desire and pocketbook to have the luxuries.

Maybe there'll be some interesting things to accompany this. Weber lump charcoal? An easy-release hinge to facilitate a rotisserie?

I gotta wonder about the grates and the diffuser. That diffuser is probably ove of the coolest things about it.

I think they are smart to do this, now can they get it into a big box store like they did with their pellet grills at Lowes. It would be competitively priced against the ceramic grills a whole lot lighter no danger of it falling over and breaking in half. I kind of disagree with some of the comments where you could buy a WSM and kettle for a lot less money and of course you could but if you are space constrained one grill instead of two.

I have to say if I paid 1499 for the summit and of course we need to see how much they took out of certainly as Chris pointed out the triangle looks to be no where near as sturdy as the original I love the gas assist on my performer but as Bill said for 500 bucks I could live without it. In ATL these do not come up that often but certainly people who paid that price the used market would crater, lets say you decided to sell it well what are you going to get brand new a warranty 1000 bucks so you got gas assist maybe 700 who knows.

They have on occasion discounted the pellet grills so maybe you get lucky and grab one for 900 bucks at some point. Not for awhile but maybe next grilling season.

I agree with Bill I think he was the one who said it was a BGE hunter forget the people who own one they are not going to give them up but it is a nice alternative.

I think it's missing the hubcaps...maybe an assembly error. Missing the holder for the diffuser?

The missing diffuser holder doesn't bode well for the diffuser being included on the 2021 model.

It is also missing solid shelf on right side bottom and the charcoal storage bin.

weber-summit-charcoal-grill-center-gbs-1560865210_n.jpg

It looks like the new wheels are off the Master-Touch Premium
weber-master-touch-gbs-premium-e-5770-57-sm.jpg

Good catch! It's like the Hocus Focus puzzle I do in the Sunday newspaper..."Find at least six differences in details between panels."

If they're taking away the diffuser, wouldn't it stand to reason they're also taking away the two-level charcoal grate? As long as we're "decontenting", how about losing the GBS grate?

Back