2nd Brisket...OH so good!

MAIhmels

We had some family in town for my sons second birthday so my wife and I decided a brisket would be a perfect dinner choice. We got a heat wave (45 degrees) so I had no problem with my WSM holding a nice temp all day. My son and I must of had the same wake up call of 5:30 because we were both up and ready to get started....him watching cartoons and me firing up the smoker.

For the rub I didn't use a certain recipe I added ingredients until I thought it tasted right....Here is what was in it (Brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Weber spicy Brazilian BBQ rub for some heat) I took the brisket out at 6 o' clock and rubbed it down and let it sit out until I got the smoker up to temp.. Sorry for the text in the pictures I was to busy sending snapchats and not focusing on the real goal of the brisket.

Here is the picture of the flat ready to get rubbed down with a vitamin water to try and cure my hangover.....

I was now exactly sure on how long it would take but I was planning on about an hour a pound from reading a couple other helpful posts and you were right on. I was able to maintain a temp from 225-250 all morning with 2 larger hickory chunks for the smoke. At 2 o' clock it was time to foil, so I added a little apple juice and wrapped it in foil. I needed to add a little more Royal Oak at this time and got the temp up to about 275 and let it cook.

After exactly 1 hour the temp brisket was up to 195 and time to wrap it up and let it sit in the cooler for a couple hours until it was time to eat!

I thought we were going to be eating a 5 but we spent to much time sledding and skating so it sat in the cooler for an extra 30 minutes. here is a picture of the beauty at it waited for me to slice it up.

I wasnt 100% sure on the grain pattern so I sliced it how I thought it went and acted like I knew what I was doing....

At last a picture of the smoke ring!

Sorry I didn't get a picture of it plated I seriously don't think the rest of the table had time to say grace before my first serving was gone. Overall I was very happy with how it turned out, maybe a little dry on the (point end) but with a little Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce it finished just fine. Thank you everyone on here that has helped me gain some "knowledge" with my WSM and I hope this helps someone else give that tricky brisket a try.

Brisket looks awesome. For your next one, prior to adding rub, determine the direction of the grain of the meat and cut a small slit against the grain at the end of the brisket so it will be easy
to determine the grain once cooked.

Back