27 Year Old WSM

MVrieze

Hello all! I just joined today. I've been on the hunt for a used 18" WSM. This past weekend, one popped up on Facebook Marketplace. I knew it was older because it had a wood handle on the lid, but I didn't know how old. I asked the seller to tell me what letter was stamped on the vents. It turns out that it was made in 1993. The best part..... it had never been cooked on! The seller knew they had had it at least 20 years. They put it together long ago, but never cooked on it. I'm now the proud owner of a used, but new, 27 year old WSM!

20200614_153311.jpg20200614_153328.jpg20200614_153334.jpg20200614_152950.jpg20200614_153502.jpg20200614_153532.jpg

What a beautiful find. I would get that WSM then I don't know if I could cook on it after all those years of it being clean. Lol

And with the requisite bent vent tab, too!;) Nice find!
Can you explain that to me? Are the tabs supposed to be bent all the way in? Or bent just a little bit so that the vents stay in position? I have 3 Weber Kettles and none have bent tabs.

What a beautiful find. I would get that WSM then I don't know if I could cook on it after all those years of it being clean. Lol
I was debating on if I should cook on it or not. I've decided that I'm going to cook on it, because I don't have much use for a smoker that doesn't smoke. I have decided that the I'm not going to put any additional holes in the bowl, center section or lid. Only mods I'll do to it is a Cajun Bandit Door (keep the original door of course) and put casters on the legs.

I was debating on if I should cook on it or not. I've decided that I'm going to cook on it, because I don't have much use for a smoker that doesn't smoke. I have decided that the I'm not going to put any additional holes in the bowl, center section or lid. Only mods I'll do to it is a Cajun Bandit Door (keep the original door of course) and put casters on the legs.

I would cook on it a few times with the original door. I've had 2 WSMs and the original doors always work very well after a couple of cooks and sometimes just some gentle shaping. The Cajun Bandit doors are pretty, but from what I've heard, if they aren't shaped perfectly you aren't ever going to get them there. Just a thought.

Can you explain that to me? Are the tabs supposed to be bent all the way in? Or bent just a little bit so that the vents stay in position? I have 3 Weber Kettles and none have bent tabs.
In your fourth pic, one of the two tabs on that bottom damper is folded over, rather than straight up at 90 degrees to the lower bowl. Easily bent back, so no issue, and you will bend them again.....all of us have! :)

Great looking smoker, and, for sure, COOK ON IT!!! :) That's what it was made for, and you and it will be way happier if it's churning out great grub under your control.

R

In your fourth pic, one of the two tabs on that bottom damper is folded over, rather than straight up at 90 degrees to the lower bowl. Easily bent back, so no issue, and you will bend them again.....all of us have! :)
Exactly! I used my WSM Sunday night and one of the vents had a bent tab, and I could swear it wasn't that way the last time I used it - sometimes it seems like it just happens!

Back