24” Aluminum Foil

Bob G.

TVWBB Member
I’m new to smoking last year and started smoking this year without water in the modified Smokey Joe lid water pan I did this year. It is shallow like the early 18” WSM water pans. I can cover it with 18” aluminum but the 18” width just barely covers the edges. I use 4 pieces of foil and alternate the direction of wrapping the 4 pieces.

I looked around the web and found 24” wide x 500’ aluminum foil. Figured it would make it easier to wrap the water pan. Told my GF about it and found out that she’s been getting some stuff from the same website. Had her get me the 24” foil on her next order. It arrived today but haven’t used it yet. Tore off a piece and GF and I compared it to RR 18” HD foil and we think they both feel the same thickness.

Price was $48.49 + $16.11 shipping to my zip code. I figured if I used 4 pieces 2’ x 2’each time, I can wrap the water pan 62 times. If I only use 2 pieces as the other 2 pieces are usually ok, I could wrap 125 times. Or less if used for other stuff or mess up wrapping. :)

7EBD7CC7-0615-4E98-823C-E20B38A82954.png

Yes, I've also looked into really wide aluminum foil, but as you found it's super expensive. I am lucky to have the original shallow WSM pan and just wrap with two pieces of 18" HD Reynolds Wrap and that seems to work fine for me.

Chris,

The 24” seems a little expensive but if you compare it to the 2 pack of 18” RR at Costco for $19.99 for 300 square feet total to the one I showed at 1000 square feet, it’s not that bad.

RR sells 24” x 500’ on Amazon for $199.

Edit: The 24” RR on Amazon is Extra Heavy Duty.

Last edited:
I’m in the same kettle with Chris BUT, I just run the foil over a terracotta plant saucer. I had a “damaged” 500’ roll (it had been dropped and one creased making unrolling a full width sheet impossible) GFS was out of any more 500’ rolls so, I have been whittling down a 1000’ roll for a while. I think this will be summer number three! Yes it kind of slapped me in the face when I bought it but, I have not run out!😁

Something to ponder. Be careful of where your foil is sourced from. A while back I read an article about how some of it has lead in it. IDK how false or true it may be but apparently much of the stuff sourced from Russia and China in particular was found to have pretty large amounts of lead

10 cents a foot for 24" Wide HD Foil is a pretty dang good price (imho) Check where it's from, I also heard what Larry mentioned above

Yes, I've also looked into really wide aluminum foil, but as you found it's super expensive. I am lucky to have the original shallow WSM pan and just wrap with two pieces of 18" HD Reynolds Wrap and that seems to work fine for me.
Yup! I do the same. I keep a couple of foil balls rolled up an put them in between the layers of foil to help prevent the drippings from burning.

I use the members mark HD 18" x 500' from Sam's club. I never had any problems foiling the top of my 08 18" WSM with a slight depression.
Now I would like to get 24" for my 22" WSM

Not sure where the 24” foil is made, doesn’t say on the box. Probably made in China! Plan is to wrap the water pan with it. Will lead content burning off of it effect me at 62yo? 😳

Edit: End of the box by the scan code says “Made in China”. :(

Not sure where the 24” foil is made, doesn’t say on the box. Probably made in China! Plan is to wrap the water pan with it. Will lead content burning off of it effect me at 62yo? 😳

Edit: End of the box by the scan code says “Made in China”. :(
Lead poisoning can affect anyone. I'd say simply be cautious

I agree with heavy metals including lead being a health problem. If you search the web for info about cooking with aluminum foil, it is believed by many that it is bad for you but not so much if it used for cold storage of food in the fridge.

Anyone here wrap their food in foil to get through the stall temp until it’s finished?

We still cook with cast iron. I’m sure someone finds it bad too. We got rid of all non-stick pan years ago.

GF contacted the company we got the 24” foil, might be sending it back.

I agree with heavy metals including lead being a health problem. If you search the web for info about cooking with aluminum foil, it is believed by many that it is bad for you but not so much if it used for cold storage of food in the fridge.

Anyone here wrap their food in foil to get through the stall temp until it’s finished?

We still cook with cast iron. I’m sure someone finds it bad too. We got rid of all non-stick pan years ago.

GF contacted the company we got the 24” foil, might be sending it back.
I wrap but over a layer of butcher paper. I don't allow the foil to contact the food.

Update:

GF heard back from Webstaurant Store. She informed them that the foil was not disclosed as being from China on their website. They are going to refund the price minus shipping and we do not have to ship it back. Use it or dispose of it.

Would you use it for foiling your water pan and never use on food OR would you not use it at all?

Update:

GF heard back from Webstaurant Store. She informed them that the foil was not disclosed as being from China on their website. They are going to refund the price minus shipping and we do not have to ship it back. Use it or dispose of it.

Would you use it for foiling your water pan and never use on food OR would you not use it at all?
Well, firstly the article I read (really wish I could reference it now) indicated the foils from Russia and China "can contain high amounts of lead" due to less stringent regulations. Sadly there is no way to actually test it for that. So who knows if your sample actually does or not? I would still use it for non food contact though. I could be wrong in that thinking. But, I don't think these materials would leach into food unless by actual contact with it. And even with foil I am sure of I still never put it in direct contact for storage or cooking. Long story why and will not go into it here. If I have to foil wrap anything, I use butcher or parchment paper in between the food and the foil

Webstaurantstore's customer service has been awfully good in my limited experience as well. Got an item damaged in shipping, 2 pics, & the rep promptly asked "refund, store credit, or ship you a new one?"

I’ve decided to keep the foil for water pan use only. Lead melts at 621.5*F and aluminum foil can withstand 1200*F. If I see metal dripping from the bottom of my water pan, I’ll stop using the made in China foil. :)

Reynolds’s Wrap aluminum foil is 98.5% aluminum, the rest primarily iron and silicon according to their website.

Back