22" otg

James Payne

TVWBB Member
So I bought a 22" WSM over the summer and began to learn to smoke by reading forum posts here. Boy have a I learned a lot over these last few months!

However, I noticed more and more grilling and was getting very intrigued by all the recipes and pictures of glorious food :) I had a gasser but it just wasn't the same (Like I have to tell you that)

So last night I ran up to HD and bought me an early xmas present :)

22" OTG Black
Charcoal Holders
Grill Cover
and a bag of RO Lump

I broke it in this afternoon after putting her together. Cooked a couple of burgers and they were just as good as I had hoped they would be. Tonight, we shall sear some steak over the LUMP!

Thanks for all the information and pictures, it has inspired me to cook!

Happy to hear James. The 22 OTG is a great kettle. Now you have a wide range of accessories that you can put on your wish list.:)

That's exactly the path I took. Had a Genesis for years, but got back into charcoal via a 22" WSM. Not long after came the black 22" OTG.
And now? Well, just look at my sig line. lol

I have cooked up a passel of good food with my 22.5" OTG over the past few years. Everything from hamburgers, chops, steaks and chicken parts to cedar planked salmon and meatloaf. No doubt, they are the "best bang for the buck" when you talk about a REAL grill...:D

Dale53

Now that you have a smoker and a grill you can literally cook ANYTHING outside over live fire. Direct = stovetop, indirect = oven. Get you a 12" cast iron skillet and you're in business!

James congrats on getting a great Christmas present, hope you have many good cooks that you might feel you have too share with us.

Fellow Kentuckian

Same here James. I had a gasser for the last 20 years and when I stumbled onto this forum about a year ago I was so amazed at the talents of the members here and to this day I'm still overwhelmed by what people do on here. I also now have a performer and a mini now and learning new things every day. My gasser is pretty much a windbreak for the mini now and the performer is my main tool for every day use. Unlike a lot of other forums these folks are helpful, supportive and willing to share their knowledge but most of all just a fun bunch of people to be around. Still a lot to learn but if I don't have the answer I sure know where to go to get great help.

My gasser took a dump on me and I replaced it with a 22 OTG. I don't see myself ever moving back to a gasser.

I made the leap into charcoal this year also. After getting a hand me down 1990 kettle which wasnt in bad shape but not in good shape and learning that I loved cooking over charcoal I bought a 22 wsm and soon after that a new 22 otg. Charcoal may be a little more work but completely worth it. I had completely gone gassless until I won a summit s-470 from a sweepstakes, I typically only use it for hotdogs or cooking in the cold because I dont want to spend any more time outside in sub 10 degree temps.

Good luck with your new purchases and hope to see your Qview!

Back