2018 Done, 2019 Getting Started

I have delivered a few, however it is more of an issue with them not having a vehicle to transport the grill. I make them pay up front for the grill before I will deliver it. I have been burned too many times by CL and FB deals to drive somewhere blind and hope they show or don't change their mind after I get there.

When I have a bolt stuck in the cook box, I just pound it out with a punch. I know several have cautioned about "shattering" or cracking a cook box that way, But I never have damaged after doing at least a half dozen. Just don't go wild. You can also drill them out. No big deal. Either way, it should only take you 10 minutes. Just cut them flush with an angle grinder and cuttoff wheel and center punch the bolt, then drill it with a smaller drill first. Then graduate to a drill almost as big as the hole in the cook box. You might find the bolt pops out when you center punch it.

I have not been successful in punching them out. I always had to drill them out when stuck. But was also afraid of hitting it too hard. I even tried a blow torch to heat the area around the bolt. That did not work either.

This is how I suggest you punch them out. Cut them down near flush with the cook box, then lay the cook box on the side with the bolt. Lay it on a wood or similar soft surface and then grab a punch or bolt or something smaller than the bolt in diameter. Then punch the bolt out. I have never had one not come out. Some penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster a couple times over a few hours prior will help as well. I have just never found them to be a big issue after doing several.

This is how I suggest you punch them out. Cut them down near flush with the cook box, then lay the cook box on the side with the bolt. Lay it on a wood or similar soft surface and then grab a punch or bolt or something smaller than the bolt in diameter. Then punch the bolt out. I have never had one not come out. Some penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster a couple times over a few hours prior will help as well. I have just never found them to be a big issue after doing several.

Good point Bruce. Not sure why I did not think of laying the box on its side. This prevents the wall from bouncing when hitting it. I will try this method the next time.

:)

There is a maybe not so fine line between punching them out and BEATING them out.

Just sayin':)

Gerry

Trust me on the "punching" it out. I was using a VERY small center punch and the smallest ball peen Estwing Company makes. I know how and when to use a delicate hand. Old cast aluminum can get as brittle as glass

Old cast aluminum can get as brittle as glass

Yep. Especially once it got really at one point. I recently got this Silver C which had a huge grease fire at one point and must have gotten really hot. One lid pin was stuck in the fire box and by just punching it a little the hinge on the firebox just broke off. That firebox was extremely brittle.

*UPDATE* This year is off and rolling. I have turned 8 so far, with at least 2 more coming this week,
and the possibility of maybe another half dozen before the end of the month. This will
without a doubt be the best month I have ever had. I will also mention that since about the 5th, the weather
has been pretty miserable. 4 snow events, some ice, ZERO full days of sunshine, and today will
only be the 2nd day of partial sunshine in the past 14 days, and most days with highs below freezing.
In other words, what one would think would be terrible selling conditions. However, I seem to be the only
one putting anything up for sale. I am getting my asking price, and only a couple have even tried to
negotiate. My plan to have 30 or so ready when Spring hits is going right out the window, but selling is selling, right?
I am kicking myself for letting a few get away too cheap in the fall last year. I will not repeat that mistake
next fall.

Dave,
You are the champion for sure! That is some serious production. If I thought I could turn them out like you do I would give more serious thought to hanging up my now side job tax preparation shingle and do grills instead! I can’t crank them out to really test my market, but from what I see listed and then selling I think I could sell quite a lot at decent prices.

I don’t have the cold weather to deal with but I do lack facilities to be reasonably efficient. If I was going to do it as a serious business I would have to make arrangements to access a workshop where I could organize materials and tools into some kind of production line.

Trust me on the "punching" it out. I was using a VERY small center punch and the smallest ball peen Estwing Company makes. I know how and when to use a delicate hand. Old cast aluminum can get as brittle as glass

I trust you. I didn't know they got that brittle. Good to know,

Thanks!

Gerry

I would have to make arrangements to access a workshop where I could organize materials and tools into some kind of production line.

I sure wish I had a better area to work in besides my garage, but I make do with what I have.
Oh, and while the grill business is good for now, I will certainly NOT be leaving my day job
anytime soon. LOLOL!!

With your energy and determination you are probably maxing out what most people could do even if it was a full-time first job effort. I think we all realize that while you can turn a profit - sometimes even a good one - your average return on your hours worked is normally not going to be that great. That is figuring in ALL the costs, travel time, etc. (The very things I would be telling you guys to deduct if you report your grill activity as a business.) I think it still can make a nice second income or semi-retirement income, as long as you are enjoying the work. I do most of the time. I would certainly rather rehab grills than do more tax returns. But similar to Dave I can’t afford to give up the tax prep income to chase that dream.

Still, a well set up shop sure would help!

I have not been able to do any cleaning for a couple of weeks and had beeh watching the forecast for today's
weather for over about a week. It was to be low 40's, sunny, and very little wind. Perfect weather to scrub
a 26" inch kettle, 22 WSM and a couple other pieces I had been waiting to do. Unfortunatley, the weather
didn't cooperate early enough for me, so there I was just after lunch, it was still about 25 degrees, cloudy,
windy, and a few flurries. My Wife decided to have a little fun a snap a couple of pics.

lu1JD4Ml.jpg

q4Dkvg1l.jpg

As I stated earlier, the steam makes it very difficult to see what the heck you are doing.
But I was glad to get it done. We have a pretty wicked cold front heading this way tomorrow.
Single digit highs for a couple of days. However, we are lucky to be on the western edge.
I feel for Bruce and LM, as they are in the heart of it and will be seeing -50 windchills. Brrrrrrr!
Stay warm this week folks.

Dangerous wind chills developing tuesday into thursday morning, with readings from 40 to 60 below zero. **

Stephan, I'd be all over that one. The tank and cover are worth the asking price.
Consider the grill as a freebie.

Yeah they're now saying ACTUAL not windchill HIGHS Wed will be -17F!!!! I sure wish we really did have some nice global warming. :D My son in law is one of the "believers" and I swear he's worse than an IS fanatic about it. Right now temp wise not too bad but about 10" one the ground

Larry, it is -30 here on Wednesday.....NOT INCLUDING WINDCHILL.

Stefan, that grill is totally worth $20. If you got room, grab it.

TxzxwEL.jpg

Last edited:
Yep we'll be close behind they're saying between -20 to -25 my way but hell it's kind of academic once you go under -10 or so it's pretty hard to tell the difference between -15 and -25. Let's face it...................you go outside....................you gonna die :D

Back