2018 Done, 2019 Getting Started

That is so true. I ended the season with 4-5 grills And told myself that that was all I was gonna have until next Spring. I've picked up a couple q's in 2 more Genesis grills since then. When people start buying new grills early in the Spring and dump and their old ones I'm probably gonna regret that I already have a whole stable waiting to go And have to pass on some of those great grills with great deals

Dave how do you actually clean the kettles? I have been using razor blade scrapers in the gassers but here the surfaces are flat. What is the most effective way to clean a round kettle? I want to clean my old one and sell since I no longer use it.

I would highly encourage you to read and follow most of the instructions listed here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

I use regular old oven cleaner, Dawn Power Disolver, Sams Club grill cleaner, and Simple Green instead of
the Weber cleaner, but whatever works for you. Razor blades and steel wool just as they say there.

I would also highly encourage you to restore your kettle, KEEP IT, and use it occasionally. I am all for
using my gasser, and even my pellet grill when hectic life needs you to move things along in a speedy
fashion. But Bro, you have to slow down every now and then, let the charcoals kiss your food with that
flavor, sit back and enjoy the Weber lifestyle. Just like they show in all the ads. :)

Dave I could not agree more slow down, the kiss of the charcoal on wings especially is a wonderful thing. I would never sell my performer but its a weekend grill for me. The 1000 carries the load during the week.

If the serial number is still readable try to register the grill. If you can successfully register it call Weber for a new firebox. Back then they had 25 year warranty on all the cast aluminum parts. I did this with Genesis Platinum I bought a few weeks ago.

Every single time I called Weber they have given me an attitude. Twice it was some guy and third time some lady. After I bought my new Genesis II brand new in 2018 and it came with SS grates I called to find out how much for the peci. They would not give me the part number. I explained I wanted to order the peci as it came with SS but she insisted i had to register my grill so she can get the peci part number. I call bs on that. Good luck with the 25 years warranty.

As far as I am concerned Weber not only has bad customer service, their reps have an attitude problem !!!

Chris, I cannot confirm this. Within the past few weeks I got a brand new Grillbox and a brand new lid from Weber. No questions asked.

Chris, I had that issue explained to me by a weber C/S one time. They said they need the grill to be registered so they have the serial number and model number so they can verify the correct part. The rep told me that they had way too many people not knowing what model and year grill they actually had and would order the wrong parts and then blame weber and it was causing a lot of bad customer experiences because of it.

It sounds logical to me, but it could just be BS. I accepted the explanation. It isn't hard to register the grill either. It is easily done on their web page.

As far as I am concerned Weber not only has bad customer service, their reps have an attitude problem !!!

You can also register and warranty parts online. I have had good and bad experiences when
dealing with Weber CS reps on the phone. Have not had a bad one yet online.

It's kinda like from back in the days when I was a mechanic. Back then Ford products were the biggest PIA to work on. If I was working on a Ford from the 60's and early to mid 70's (I learned my lesson after than LOL) I found out if you walked to the parts counter without the VIN you were screwed as almost every model had different part numbers even on the same model. I.E. if you were working on a 68 Galaxie 500 and needed say a Window regulator for manual window you quickly found out there were perhaps 3 totally different ones for the SAME car based on the VIN. As Mr. Codgers asked.........................Can you spell frustration boys and girls? Sure I knew ya could............It's spelled F.....O....R.....D

I would highly encourage you to read and follow most of the instructions listed here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

I use regular old oven cleaner, Dawn Power Disolver, Sams Club grill cleaner, and Simple Green instead of
the Weber cleaner, but whatever works for you. Razor blades and steel wool just as they say there.

I would also highly encourage you to restore your kettle, KEEP IT, and use it occasionally. I am all for
using my gasser, and even my pellet grill when hectic life needs you to move things along in a speedy
fashion. But Bro, you have to slow down every now and then, let the charcoals kiss your food with that
flavor, sit back and enjoy the Weber lifestyle. Just like they show in all the ads. :)

Thanks for the link Dave. Yes I still have a kettle I use. It is my performer. I just don't need two charcoal grills.

I can relate. I had to change out the window regulators on a 2004 F-150. Of course, a VIN search on NAPA Auto came up with 2-3 different ones from Doorman. And, or course, I ordered the wrong and got stuck with a restocking fee on return. Good to know some things have never changed.

*UPDATE* This year is off and rolling. I have turned 8 so far, with at least 2 more coming this week,
and the possibility of maybe another half dozen before the end of the month. This will
without a doubt be the best month I have ever had. I will also mention that since about the 5th, the weather
has been pretty miserable. 4 snow events, some ice, ZERO full days of sunshine, and today will
only be the 2nd day of partial sunshine in the past 14 days, and most days with highs below freezing.
In other words, what one would think would be terrible selling conditions. However, I seem to be the only
one putting anything up for sale. I am getting my asking price, and only a couple have even tried to
negotiate. My plan to have 30 or so ready when Spring hits is going right out the window, but selling is selling, right?
I am kicking myself for letting a few get away too cheap in the fall last year. I will not repeat that mistake
next fall.

Wow Dave that is cranking them out. How do you deal with the snow and cold when you have do stuff like run water to clean them up an that kind of thing? How are you painting in the cold? Do you work inside?

How far are you rehabbing them. I cannot fathom taking them down to bare metal inside the fire box and crank out that many grills that fast.

Bruce, fortunately, most of those the ones that I had ready and posted before Xmas. I did get a
stainless sidewinder, 5 WSM's, and a few kettles fully scrubbed and deluxed during the week between
Xmas and NY when we had some a few days up around 45 degrees. However since Jan 5th I have not
been able to wash anything. I have picked up a WSM, Silver C, one 900, and one 1000 that are just waiting
on a warm day so I can take them to the carwash. They are saying it may hit 40 here Sunday, so that
is my target date for now.

I have taken a couple of Performer frames to work and shot new paint on them in the warehouse, but otherwise,
everything I have needed/been able to do was at home. I had one-night last week that I busted out 16 grates that needed
grinding. I have a bright light outside the garage, bundled up like an Eskimo, and got after it. I also bundle up good when
I hit the carwash, and wear rain gear. The only real problem I have washing in the cold is the wash bay gets so steamy
that it is difficult to see. Otherwise, everything I do is in the garage. I bought a small propane heater that can get warm
it to around 50 fairly quickly.

I haven't done the inside of a firebox lately, and will not be doing many, if any, from here on. I am just not finding the cost/time
reward in the effort. I have been, and will continue to do the end caps however.

Dave, I may try some grills with just good cleaning inside and skip the angle grinder and wire cup brush. That would make rehabs much quicker and a less messy for sure. That is the worst part of the whole process. If I can sell them a little cheaper that way, I will probably go that route on the majority of my future rehabs.

Wow thats a lot ��
Where do you find them ?
Constantly scouring every available source.

There seem to be regional differences in the availability of some of the models of older Genesis grills as well as the overall availability. It also helps if you live in or around a larger metropolitan area. I basically expect to drive an hour to get most of my grills. If I find one closer, that is a a bonus, but the majority of my grills have me driving down to the Madison, WI area which is about 50-60 miles. Just from my looking, I can see that if I lived near Milwaukee, WI or Chicago, IL, I would be able to find more older Genesis grills than I could handle within 30 miles. But, the next biggest town closer to me than Madison would probably be a town of about 15,000 people.
And that certainly works the other way when trying to sell your rehabbed grills. I get a lot of interest from people an hour away, but get few to actually make the trip to check out and/or buy one of my grills.

Bruce, I am in a similar situation. I am 35-55 miles from 90% of all finds and sales.
I used to be a hard-a** and insist that people come to me to buy something. However,
I have started offering to deliver for a fee when the distance becomes an issue for someone.
I am typically going to within 5 miles of where these folks live to pick up something that I
am buying, so I might as well get paid to deliver something when I am on the way. Food
for thought.

How did you explain the need to Weber? I would love to have a new box and lid for my 2001 Silver B rehab this spring. I’m afraid I’ll have to cut the bolt from the cross member and box and may not be able to drill out the bolt hole in the cooking box. Just wishin’

Back