2010 one touch platinum?

KloeShuman

TVWBB Member
So not sure exactly what I have found...from the date code it's from 2010, the cart seems a little odd from others I've seen. All the parts seem to be Weber...can anyone help identify?
Thanks....now at least I have an idea

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_142624_746.jpg
    IMG_20221105_142624_746.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20221105_142633_001.jpg
    IMG_20221105_142633_001.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20221105_142717_914.jpg
    IMG_20221105_142717_914.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I believe it is a One-Touch platinum kettle. Some here call it a platypus.

@Jon Tofte recently did an amazing job updating one.

I always like free, but those upgrades add up... Char Baskets, Vortex, SNS, new grates...

Enjoy your new OTP

I had one of these I cleaned it up and put in a new grate and baskets. It cooks real good I liked that the lid goes straight back for easy access to the whole grilling surface. And the two side tables are so handy. But someone came to me with a I have to have this so now when we visit his house we eat from it there.

I have the baskets, grate looks good... although I do have one from a newer kettle if I want to swap it out. Don't need a SnS I have one of their kettles already....needs a good cleaning...oh! And the lid bail wire is missing

Curiosity got the best of me. Before heading to work, I went out to the grill - the lid slides back and rests on the spools
and the corners of the table help hold it in place.
So it seems a lid bail is NOT needed. I had just assumed it was missing since I had seen it on other models.

I am very happy to learn this - one less part to source!
Thanks for this thread and all the info!

And KloeShuman - good luck with your restore!

It kinda looked like it did...but that's what I'm after..... answers to those questions
You will not only get answers to questions you ask but, answers to questions you had not even considered from this place! Welcome to one of the most fun sites in cyberspace!
Yep, that’s one I would love to find and do a “Tofte” quality restore on…well, maybe take it to him!😉🤣👍

Last edited:
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I read that thread and watched Tom's video - and still didn't see confirmation that there was never a lid bail.

I've been trying to figure out how I will replace mine, but would love to find out it's a non-issue. :D
My platypus is also a 2010.
Yeah, from the history I can glean from online resources, it looks like Weber originally shipped them with a lid bail that bolted to the frame, If you look at Tom Horsman's videos on YouTube, his grill has the bail. There's another assembly video that shows the lower tab at 0:17, but with no bail in place at 0:26. I'd guess that Weber originally thought the bail was needed, and then probably got a couple of complaints about it causing difficulty in pushing the lid back, so they eliminated it. Either way, as you noted, the lid nests against the frame or table ends in the back, and it's secured side to side by the rollers.

Edit: The schematic on the Weber site shows the bail, but there's another schematic out there that has it omitted.
146261-1.gif

Last edited:
Not that I don't trust the board ....but without the bail wire the hot lid would sit against the (plastic) shelf's. So I called Weber today , they had me send pics.....and yes, this one did have a lid bail that attached to the bottom of the shelves. Also no longer available, so my thoughts are either try to make my own....or, add a lid hinge...not like it's under warranty and I want to use it.

If you don’t mind a little fussing, the hinge from “Unknown BBQ” is a fine design, not too difficult to install, and reasonably priced. I’ve had mine on my 18” for three years now and it’s very convenient! Jason is easy to work with too!

Back