2.5" Porterhouse "Crazy" Reverse Sear

Craig Wallace

TVWBB Member
Wife and I went crazy the other day and ordered a couple custom cut porterhouse steaks, 2.5" thick. We've been doing the reverse sear methods for the last couple months, and we love it. It has worked great with London Broils, ribeye and thinner porterhouse steaks. The results of this cook was mixed.

We cooked them at 250F, it took an 1 hour and 45 minutes to bring the steaks to an internal temp of 120F. We pulled them off and built our hot fire for searing, usually taking 20 minutes tops. Then I seared each side 2:20 minutes. Two minutes probably would have been enough. Using fire bricks, I can get the grill real hot, the steaks sit about an inch off the charcoal.

Results: The steaks came out good, medium rare, tender and juicy; however, 2.5" is too thick. The thickness made the bone difficult to handle and separate from the meat. I think 2" would be about the max for a porterhouse. I will one day try a 2.5" ribeye and/or New York, but the bone in the porterhouse was a pain to eat around.

Naturally, we had a bunch of leftover steak meat, which we like anyway. We love to cut a couple slices and eat it cold right out of the fridge. You can also taste the smoke better on the second day. Forward, I'll keep my porterhouse steaks 1.5" to 2".

CraigW

Last edited:
Nice looking steaks, and fun to take the plunge and buy and grill something like that! That size of steak serves two people easily. After grilling I cut the strip and filet off the bone and slice each to serve.

They look pretty. A 2.5" thick Porterhouse is too thick for me. About an inch and a half seems much easier to grill and handle.

Nice looking steaks, and fun to take the plunge and buy and grill something like that! That size of steak serves two people easily. After grilling I cut the strip and filet off the bone and slice each to serve.

the "plunge" ain't that deep.... I just saw these ▼ at the local grocer for only $11.89 per lb...

3InchThickT-Bones.jpg

these were 3" thick... I believe they called them "Standing T-Bones"
when I arrived home, I googled the dang thing... came across this:
http://www.theawl.com/2012/07/t-bone-for-two

I like!

and Craig, you did a GREAT job (fun) grilling this monster!
This ▼ is a GREAT shot!

I would attempt to only carve away as much meat from the bone as you could, then treat the dog with the rest. ;)

Craig those are some terrific steaks. I like the color you achieved on the outside and the beautiful medium rare on the inside. Just like you get at a steakhouse. Great job!

I think you did an outstanding job on those porterhouses. They look perfect.
Chris A's suggestions are spot on.

Back