1st smoke of the year!

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
I admit I have been lazy when it has come to my grills/smoker the last few months and have missed it. I have been on at times admiring what you all have been doing. Paid the price today when I took the covers off my Performer and WSM. Had a wasp nest under each cover waiting for me. Guess thats the price you pay for neglect.

The wife and I went with some friends at the beginning of the month to Florida while they took their kids to Disney. We stayed the first night in Jacksonville where we had some friends living. While there we were introduced to 4 Rivers Smokehouse. Holy crap! This was some of the best barbecue I have had. Their Santa Maria Tri Tip sandwich with chimichurri and brisket were amazing. We found another in the Orlando area and ate there two more times during the next seven days. Anyone living close to one is a lucky person.

Since that time, I have been itching to get to the toys. I found a prime packer at a meat packer on sale for $3.99. This is the best price I have seen around here in a long time, so I picked it up and will be throwing in on in the morning. I have been reading a lot of Aaron Franklins stuff about brisket and decided to do the pink butcher paper wrap method he uses. I pulled it out tonight and injected it with beef broth and some spices.

Will update through out the day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Got up at 4 AM to start the fire and get the rub on the meat. And while I am already up, I may as well have a spicy Bloody Mary.
Put the brisket and some sausage for a fatty on at 5:30. Have alarms set for the temps on my Maverick. Now time to back to bed for a while and let the WSM do its thing.

Looking REAL Good RJ!

And while I am already up, I may as well have a spicy Bloody Mary.... Now time to back to bed for a while and let the WSM do its thing.

hope that 4am BM don't make ya over sleep!

That fatty and the brisket make a great combo right there. Make Aaron proud with the brisket.

Fatty turned out good as always. It's great that something so simple produces such a great result.

At right about the 6 hour mark I hit the stall at 160. I pulled it and gave it a spraying with a mixture of worcestershire and water then wrapped it up. Forgot to take a pic before I wrapped it and back of the smoker.

Brisket was soft and jiggly after 10 hours. The paper was so full of juices I had to cut it open on the smoker and leave the paper behind. Heres how it looked before I wrapped it in foil and a towel to rest. You can see how soft it is by where my thumb went into the meet and left a hole.

Thats weird. The two on this page show up on mine. Even tried it on my iPad not signed in and it still worked.

I tried 2 browsers & my phone - no luck - could be my antivirus (same one on PC & phones/tablets), and my browsers are locked down I'm sure a little too much.

Here is the end result. Still not totally happy with the rub. I have yet to find one that I love. For the most part the brisket was pretty tender. Once I got into the middle of the flat, it was kinda dry. I am not sure why but I will have to keep trying. Between this and the high heat method, I would do the high heat again first but obviously brisket is not easy or we would all nail it. Obviously there is nothing wrong with the recipe because Aaron Franklin sells a ton of the stuff. The only other thing that came to mind is the side box smoker they use is more situated to be successful with the recipe.

Here is the end result. Still not totally happy with the rub. I have yet to find one that I love. For the most part the brisket was pretty tender. Once I got into the middle of the flat, it was kinda dry. I am not sure why but I will have to keep trying. Between this and the high heat method, I would do the high heat again first but obviously brisket is not easy or we would all nail it. Obviously there is nothing wrong with the recipe because Aaron Franklin sells a ton of the stuff. The only other thing that came to mind is the side box smoker they use is more situated to be successful with the recipe
It's beautiful, the smoke ring is as good as it gets. Sometimes you have to mop to bring out rub flavors. Anyway, that's a beauty

Back