1985 Genesis Jr. Historian Needed!! is this original frame on this 85' Gen Jr.??

you ROCK!! 26.5L x 7.25W where in WI you from? I'm originally from Milw. Leinies Orig bottle is my #1 beer of choice!!!

Like TH said I think wide boards on the bottom from east to west like the thread above would look real nice. Maybe use some pieces of aluminum angle like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-x-96-in-x-0-050-in-Aluminum-Thick-Angle-802527/204273951 to use as z bars screw them in drop your boards on them. You would only need a few screws to secure them should be strong enough paint them black.

You could notch the under side of the slats to fit flush on the ends so they dropped over the screws.

I think Weber is incorrect also and I am no historian but what else could that frame have been for. Take a look at these pictures notice the wide vertical slats on the side shelf, on the bottom they were wide horizontal slats. The bottom I believe had z bars for those wide slats if you look at the frame on the bottom left and right side sometimes those z bars make a mark when you pull them off since they were there for so long any indication if that was the case.

A lot of people did not believe that Weber used wide slats at one point but this thread proved that they did at one time for how long who knows you might have something really rare there.

Notice that one had a t frame also.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74050-1987-Genesis-II-Redhead

Brian and others...per Brians link/pics w/ that older Gen 2000 w/ horiz. slats...sure enough!! I just picked up this Holy Grail...1987 (I believe) Brick Red GEN 2 w/ side burner LP. 1 Grandma owner PHX, AZ. .ALL ORIGINAL..she bought it in 87' Classic!!!

Mark,
Great find, that will look sweet next to your Junior.

Are you sure about the color though? It appears to be Brown like the lid I picked up as well as my Junior.

WSUxXS8.jpg

Jeff

Those are two sweet grills. We don't see them like that around here. In fact, we don't see them at all around here really! Lucky to find a 1000. Great score!

Mark,
Great find, that will look sweet next to your Junior.

Are you sure about the color though? It appears to be Brown like the lid I picked up as well as my Junior.

WSUxXS8.jpg

Jeff

who knows? per John--Mrk. rep at weber, (see below) they only made "red" in the 80's 90's...they're now telling me there was NO brick red? and they said NO brown made on the Gen Jr. every time I call them I get varied answers...so who really knows? I wish i did!!! yikes!!!!

John (Weber Grills)

Oct 31, 2:03 PM CDT

Hi Mark,

That is incorrect.

Crimson didn't come out until 2014 for Genesis 300 series models and was a direct replacement of brick red.

Genesis Jr. and Genesis XX, and Genesis XXI models only came in black or red.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you,

John
Marketing Associate, Online Consumer Care Americas Marketing

Mark

Oct 31, 2:02 PM CDT

did you by chance make Brown lids on the Gen. Jr.?

Oct 31, 2:01 PM CDT

weird? i was told that in the 80's early 90's you had Crimson Red and Brick Red? 2 reds? No?

John (Weber Grills)

Oct 31, 1:57 PM CDT

Hi Mark,

That's a red lid. We never made brown for that series of models.

Brick red wasn't introduced until 2010 for the Genesis 300 series.

Prior to that all gas models in red were just referred to as plain old "red".

Please let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you,

John

Mark,
Looks like Weber techs need a refresher course...

I have seen Juniors in Red, Black, Brown, and Gray. Maybe I'll send 'em a picture of my Brown Junior and see what they say.

Jeff

Brian and others...per Brians link/pics w/ that older Gen 2000 w/ horiz. slats...sure enough!! I just picked up this Holy Grail...1987 (I believe) Brick Red GEN 2 w/ side burner LP. 1 Grandma owner PHX, AZ. .ALL ORIGINAL..she bought it in 87' Classic!!!

Mark,

Congratulations! I was actually trying to get that grill, too.:eek: Of course, distance was heavily against me and it probably wasn’t practical. I AM glad that a fellow forum member was the one who landed it. I, and all of us, will look forward to you restoring it to what it deserves. Keep us posted!

I don’t think there are many left at Weber that actually know what they did back in the 80’s. What you just got is the very first Genesis. They only had the wide slats and black knobs for a fairly short period from what I can see.

Chris posted a beautiful two page ad Weber ran to introduce the Genesis that features your exact grill. You might want to reference it for coming up with a restore for the missing table. It is definitely different than the later and more common Genesis 1000.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74159-1985-Weber-Genesis-3-Print-Ads

Last edited:
I don’t think there are many left at Weber that actually know what they did back in the 80’s. What you just got is the very first Genesis. They only had the wide slats and black knobs for a fairly short period from what I can see.

Chris posted a beautiful two page ad Weber ran to introduce the Genesis that features your exact grill. You might want to reference it for coming up with a restore for the missing table. It is definitely different than the later and more common Genesis 1000.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74159-1985-Weber-Genesis-3-Print-Ads

THANK YOU!! Jon, Jeff, and Chris for ALL this great historical info.!! Chris..AWESOME/classic brochures! sure enough...brown!! and the burgundy/maroon color is actually called MAUVE. Jon, yes, I'll definitely add the lft side swing table to match original. 1st funny thing I noticed from the early GEN 2-3 ad per chris..is the large turkey/roast on the swing table!! come on!! we all know that sucker would break right off. We all know that swing tables are for show, and lucky to support a 6-pack of weight. It appears that grill pictured is red, so, with all your help and research I have the brown hood which is all good! more rare....again..thanks to all w/ your research!! I'll post my final restore pics when complete.

Remember too on those old models the swing table was on a steel rod that "locked" into a hole in the front leg of the frame. It would hold a lot of weight IMO much more than the later model with the sliding plastic collar

I agree on both points. The earlier design, though not as elegant, may well have been stronger. Still, the 1000 style ones are tougher than you think.

It would be nice if we could get Mark a picture of the underside of the Genesis I swing table so he would have more to work from. Anybody have access to one?

Jon, there isn't much out there that gets past you.��

It is one of the better things about OfferUp in that you get to see things listed for sale with shipping from all over the country. That is how I stumbled on that one. Realistically almost no one is willing to package up and ship an old gas grill. I was very blessed to have a guy in NJ do that for me so I could get my Skyline hood.

Our friends at the Weber Kettle Club help each other out by “agenting” grills in different parts of the state and even country on behalf of other club members. I agented a kettle for our fellow member Chiku who later helped me get a Broilmaster.

I agree on both points. The earlier design, though not as elegant, may well have been stronger. Still, the 1000 style ones are tougher than you think.

It would be nice if we could get Mark a picture of the underside of the Genesis I swing table so he would have more to work from. Anybody have access to one?

yes!! shoot me pics if someone has one...it looks like the side table support rod is a funky design? if not...i can swap a side table Z bracket and the other 2 stable brackets PLUS a rod with the flat NON stemmed end to use. Luckily, this older GEN has a pre-drilled inside rear frame hole I can use w/ an old school wrap around metal rod rear frame insert holder when table is down...weber no longer makes that bracket but I've got ample stock from older grills I've picked up for parts.

Back