1985 Genesis Jr. Historian Needed!! is this original frame on this 85' Gen Jr.??

Remember too on those old models the swing table was on a steel rod that "locked" into a hole in the front leg of the frame. It would hold a lot of weight IMO much more than the later model with the sliding plastic collar

I kind of disagree with that the rod is shorter on the one with the sliding collar my 1000 had the lock in one the rod was slightly bent. I saw no difference as I believe the new design the rod was steel also no reason to believe it was not and it is way more convenient to move that table up and down. This is me I did not like the fact the table would be slightly down trying to describe it I moved my brackets on the drop down table so it was maybe a 1/4 inch maybe not even that from level. That way when you put some weight on it sat at level. I also am confident a 12 pound turkey would be fine funny thing is I rarely swing that table up use the top table.

With the grills that don't have the slide, how much of a PIA is it to get the rod into that little hole when putting the shelf up. It just seems so much simpler to lift the table and have it hold there with the slide mechanism.

I agree with you Bruce it was a design improvement and a good one. The silvers really had the best design not wood of course but that drop down table is solid.

I really like the slide design but IMO once you lock that rod in that little hole it's not going to drop unless everything bends.

Mark,
Here is the Swing Table set-up on my Junior.

Front view:
T0pJU4j.jpg

Rear view:
dDxQGwT.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
THANK YOU!! sure as sh*&....mine too has the side rt. table shelf mount screw hole in ft. most are in the rear of post...now .. HARD TO FIND table hinge support bracket needed!! time to fabricate one...ugh.....

- - - Updated - - -

Mark,
Here is the Swing Table set-up on my Junior.

Front view:
T0pJU4j.jpg

Rear view:
dDxQGwT.jpg

Jeff
THANK YOU!! sure as sh*&....mine too has the side rt. table shelf mount screw hole in ft. most are in the rear of post...now .. HARD TO FIND table hinge support bracket needed!! time to fabricate one...ugh.....

How true are date stamps on inside of hoods? of course, considering they haven't' been swapped...found these 2 on my Gen. Jr. and the T frame Gen 1 we've been discussing.....86'.s not too shabby!!

My guess is that they are accurate to the year/month that the end cap is marked to. But, that doesn't mean it didn't wind up on a grill put together a few months later. I would say the grill was packed up and boxed up for sale in 1986 or at the latest 1987. But, since the same parts were used for many years, who knows for sure. I would check the firebox. It should have a stamp on the bottom. If it coincides with the end caps, then I think you have at least a year of manufacture if not month and year. While lids and end caps are easily swapped out, the firebox is not.

Mark,
Looks like Weber techs need a refresher course...

I have seen Juniors in Red, Black, Brown, and Gray. Maybe I'll send 'em a picture of my Brown Junior and see what they say.

Jeff

I recently read an article that stated that the original Genesis I first came in red, brown or black. It makes sense that the Jr. which followed shortly after would come in those same colors. My guess is that the light gray came a little later in the Jr.’s short run.

http://www.webergrillreview.com/Genesis1_5.html

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

I have been studying up on these very first Genesis grills. Not a lot out there, and as this thread has noted even the people at Weber today don’t know...I noticed that the special metal table bracket used by Weber before they went with a plastic end cap bracket must have been custom made. It looks to me like they made it so that the screw-in part would be concealed on a typical left hand swing table. I guess they went to that trouble because a regular L shape corner bracket would be hard to access with the table installed. I think when they added a swing table to the Jr. they just had to use what they had so the screw that attaches the bracket is exposed on the front because the Jr. table is on the right. I think the Genesis IV and V probably would be the same since they had right hand tables (I think!).

Last edited:
Jon,
As seen in this pic Weber used the same style of shelf brackets on other models. My 1988 Genesis 5000 shares the same brackets as my Junior.

4of960Th.jpg

Jeff

Jeff,
That 5000 is a treasure and beautifully restored. Thanks for posting!

If you have time and the winter weather isn’t in the way, would you mind posting some closeups of the brackets including measurements?

I am contemplating how to make an early version Genesis 4 with those original brackets. To make it authentic will take some fabrication, but maybe my sheet metal friend can help. He just sold out but is still working there during the transition.

Jon,
Actually that is the picture the day I brought the 5000 Home after a quick bath and cleanup.

It is currently all apart in my cellar waiting a complete restoration with most parts put away in boxes. I might be able to get you some pics of the brackets this week.

Jeff

Jon,
Actually that is the picture the day I brought the 5000 Home after a quick bath and cleanup.

It is currently all apart in my cellar waiting a complete restoration with most parts put away in boxes. I might be able to get you some pics of the brackets this week.

Jeff

** GEN 5000...AMAZING!! RARE!!!!!!!!!! great find.........**

well gents..here is the completed 85-86' GEN JR. All in all...very happy w/ how it turned out!! Uncountable labor hours..ugg!! Dirtiest grill I've ever restored..this was a 1 owner grill (GRANDMA in Mesa, AZ). I don't think she EVER cleaned it!! After tips on this forum, I have now discovered oven cleaner..amazing!! works awesome on the porcelain...just beware..it will strip paint. NOTE: the bottom "H" split frame. no where could i find in the weber history how this frame coincides w/ the Jr.? we all concluded its a rare beast. Luckily, NO rust, cleaned up, sanded, and painted like a champ! was able to reuse survivor handle, control knobs, warming rack, cooking grate, and flavorizer bars. Had NO manifold bracket--discovered weber #83705 manif. bracket for a sprit 500 works perfect. Transported yesterday to my storage unit to add to my private collection.

Well, Mark, that is an awesome looking grill. You really did a nice job on that thing. What about the left hand side. Is there supposed to be a shelf there? Or is that just handles to move it around?

Well, Mark, that is an awesome looking grill. You really did a nice job on that thing. What about the left hand side. Is there supposed to be a shelf there? Or is that just handles to move it around?

Per all weber schematics, owners manual pics, its just handles w/ no shelf. I wanted to keep it as true to original as possible.

Back