1981 18.5 and parts

Thanks guys!

Weber finally shipped out the new grates. 12 days from ordering to my house.

I also went ahead and ordered the Cajun Bandit coal ring (3 bucks more than the Weber, why not?), and the Burnt End Paper pan.

It's pretty much set to go for it's first smoke for me. Looks like it'll be ribs, hopefully tomorrow! Eating meat the past month has been rough due to a root canal, and I don't get the crown for another two weeks. Chewing with one side of the mouth isn't the most fun but I need something smoked.

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

That was a great read! I just picked up my first WSM 14.. an EE. It's unmolested and generally in great shape sans a few chips in the porcelain on the top lip of the bottom bowl. I've decided to leave it as, in part due to your restore.

This was one of the coolest reads I've had the pleasure of enjoying. Great work Chris and glad this thing got saved! I did something similar to an old master touch i got for free last summer and it was some of the most fun i've had.

This was one of the coolest reads I've had the pleasure of enjoying. Great work Chris and glad this thing got saved! I did something similar to an old master touch i got for free last summer and it was some of the most fun i've had.

Thank you! If it wasn't for this forum with all the great threads and help, I wouldn't have or have an interest in my WSMs. Now I find myself looking at Craigslist and Facebook ads for deals. No great deals have popped up yet, but much like my radio control car hobby (I love old Tamiyas), I'm on the lookout!

It’s been a while since I used my 18. Replaced the door with that (kept the original) Cajun Bandit door. The original knob fell off this summer around 2am while smoking a pork butt which was not a fun moment trying to get that old door off with pliers.

After that fiasco, I decided to get the aftermarket one. Honestly, not super impressed due to it not fitting well (even after trying to bend it). I put a gasket around the edges and decided to finally try it.

Surprisingly, only some smoke out the bottom of the door and no terrible leaks. Much better than the original door.

Threw in a 12 lb Costco brisket (8 lbs after that fat was trimmed) and the smoke went great! 13 hours at around 250-275 and wrapped with butcher paper when it hit 170, then another 6 hours until 205. Now just resting in a cooler. The family all seems excited to have a smoked brisket in December!
2255FEC7-D36B-42BF-989B-CB68BD56A83A.jpeg

1742BC36-AEC8-421E-836A-C2A681456602.jpeg

613B9E89-7E99-4AF2-BC58-AB7D4EE10246.jpeg

Thanks! Family said it was the best one ever. I think they were just hungry.

I spilled the entire pan of water on the lit charcoal when I was prepping it. It didn’t put the coals entirely out out so I left it alone. Ended up being no issue at all.

FF4E291A-4820-4C4E-9FD7-C3DDF2447932.jpeg

I finally got around to doing a narrated video of Chris-P's restoration of this grill. No one can ever accuse me of being speedy when it comes to these things. :rolleyes:

I hope it inspires my YouTube viewers to undertake a restoration like this one. I'm glad to see these 1981 first-year "C" WSMs still making great barbecue! Thanks once again to Chris-P for making the effort to share these photos and his process.

Back