18" WSM Stainless Steel Door Replacement

Originally posted by Kit_R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan {dutch oven Dan}:
just tried to buy the knob only parts and was told it is not available without the door too
icon_frown.gif

I did not want to remove the knob from my old door....any ideas, or actual part #s?

I ordered all the door hardware for an old style (pre '09) 18" door from Weber about three months ago and got it all within a week. The customer service rep looked at a schematic and picked the individual parts from it (handle, washer, nut and maybe one other piece). Might wanna try again. I'll check and see if I still have the invoice at home, in which case I'll send you the part numbers, but I'd just give it another try. Feel free to tell Weber they took care of me (I even told them I was buying the parts for an aftermarket door and they were fine with that). </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I was trying to buy the new style and they would not do it, I will try again

Upon submitting my request for only the knob assembly, Weber sent me the whole door including knob at no charge.

Originally posted by Justin Toomer:
Why are you hesitant to transfer the door hardware?
don't want to booger the parts and then have NO door at all. I have the old parts coming and I just hit my current knob with a file so it is now marked for open close so I don't need the new style

I just got my 22" WSM door! Boy, this thing is heavy and quality. I'm gonna install it right now and use it tonight.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Wow Cajun Bandit customer service is phenomenal. My apartment # was left off the UPS delivery slip so UPS would not deliver the door (even when I called to give them the # they wouldn't accept it). I emailed Cajun Bandit and 15 minutes later got a phone call from them. They apologized and paid a $10 fine to intercept the driver and have the package still get delivered today. That is dedicated customer service!

Oh sure, like there is absolutely nothing wrong with the door that came with my new 2009 WSM.
It opens when I want it to, it closes just fine when I want it to... and it looks good. It's not bent outta shape, no stains on it from the 2 dozen times I've used the WSM.... yet, everyone here is going GAGA over this new stainsteel super cool looking door.

Fine.

I just placed my order
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Oh sure, like there is absolutely nothing wrong with the door that came with my new 2009 WSM.
It opens when I want it to, it closes just fine when I want it to... and it looks good. It's not bent outta shape, no stains on it from the 2 dozen times I've used the WSM.... yet, everyone here is going GAGA over this new stainsteel super cool looking door.

Fine.

I just placed my order
icon_razz.gif
I had an 18 inch WSM without any door problems. However, the new one is a solid upgrade. It seems to really make a difference. I now have a 22 and the door that came with it was just not the quality I was hoping for. It's just too big to be made from the same material thickness as an 18. The new door added quality. It now feels much more like the first class cooker that it is. It also holds heat much better. You won't regret your purchase.I will post a picture as soon as I take one.
icon_cool.gif

I work in a manufacturing plant with a talented fabrication department, these guys LIVE to work on "government" jobs (as long as they're paid back in smoked goodies).
I could have simply asked one of the fab-boys to "cut" me a door to these specs and "come back after lunch" to check it's fit... But not all my mods to this WSM should be made by them...
I'm certain this is a quality door and that I'll be very happy with my $25.70 spent.
Thank you much for the fun reading of the last three or four pages on this topic.
Cheers! and....
Enjoy
wsmsmile8gm.gif

To be honest guys even if the door improves nothing I am still very pleased with it for the aesthetic value alone. It's the door Weber should have made, it matches everything else from a quality standpoint.

And anyway I think there probably is a tighter seal.

Originally posted by Dan Moore:
I got mine this morning and it fits tightly along the sides but there is a significant opening on the top. I tried several washer configurations and even when I push hard against the knob, there is space to the right and left. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

I got mine in last week, same problem, very significant gap at the top. I contacted Cajun Bandit using the contact form on their website about two days ago and have heard nothing back. I'm going to put the knob back on my original door.

I have a slight gap on the left side. I was thinking that the cooker may be a little out of round. Maybe some gasket seal would help if it's not too big. Otherwise I would focus on the roundness of the WSM and try and fix that.

Originally posted by Justin Toomer:
Daniel do you have the 18 or the 22?

I have the 18" pre-2009.

And to update: When I came home today there was a message on my machine from Cajun Bandit. They said they check them all on a WSM, and that it must've got bowed during shipping. They suggested how to bow it to get it to fit properly. I tried that a little the other night, but am going to try again. I really like the door and want it to work. They also said that if I couldn't get it to fit that they would send me another one. So, that's good. I know things happen sometimes.

I got my new door for 22" WSM last week and when I put it on there was about a .25" gap on both sides. I put the door in a large vise tightened it up a couple of inches, took it out put it back on and it fit perfect.

...order one wednesday night... figure it should arrive tuesday, maybe wednesday... in time for more weekend fun.

Another update: I got the door to fit with very little gap. I got an adjustable wrench and bent in the bottom lip that slips inside the WSM. I believe it will do the job. I'll find out tomorrow when I smoke some ribs.

It Arrived Today....
But I can not try the fit because the WSM is full of meat and HOT!
gotta wait til later....

i think....

Back