18 Jumbo Joe vs Go-Anywhere

Lance L

TVWBB Fan
So I was gonna get a Jumbo Joe and then stumbled across the Go-Anywhere, I love the shape and design of the Go-Anywhere but I’m concerned it’s gonna be on the small size for me.

Given the shape and size difference of each, is the extra space of Jumbo Joe useable space or not so much? My goal is to pretty much split the grill in half direct and indirect heat and be able to fit 4 burgers OR 3 ribeyes on Half of the grill any suggestions would be great. (Unfortunately I can’t find either assembled in a store around me so I gotta place an order without seeing it in person).

Thanks

I think it depends on how you want to use the grill. I have both the Jumbo Joe and the GA gasser, so I can't give you an exact comparison. But given the option of cooking on one or the other, I would almost 💯 choose the JJ. It's built better and in my opinion cooks better. However, if you are using it strictly for camping then the GA is a great grill that packs up into a small package very nicely.

I have both and love them both, but if I could only have one it's the JJ no brainer! It has size going for it and it's portable just llke the GA.
Also for the 10.00 difference go for the Jumbo Joe it does everything the you stated you want for a portable grill.

I've had both and still do have two JJs. It's perfect for two or more people and can do direct and indirect with ease.
I noted where you live so the JJ probably wouldn't be a problem. Here in Arizona and most of the western states during the summer they have live fire restrictions in the campgrounds and even county or fire district wide. Which means no campfires or use of charcoal even in your own backyard due to wildfires, gas grills are okay. So, if that's not an issue I would definitely go with the JJ.

One thing I didn’t say is: I need a portable grill but only in the aspect of I need to be able to carry (not roll) it from the patio to the shed, it will never go camping or even take a ride in the truck.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I think the JJ is definitely the winner for my needs.

The JJ is definitely easier to cook on since it's just a smaller kettle so two zones is normal and you don't have to change how you normally cook. The GA is definitely more portable but real estate is an issue and it's really just for straight up hot and fast grilling so it's less versatile. The GA is really only for single or two person cooks. If you are cooking any amount of food above that, you would need the JJ, for sure.

The JJ is definitely easier to cook on since it's just a smaller kettle so two zones is normal and you don't have to change how you normally cook. The GA is definitely more portable but real estate is an issue and it's really just for straight up hot and fast grilling so it's less versatile. The GA is really only for single or two person cooks. If you are cooking any amount of food above that, you would need the JJ, for sure.
Thanks, That’s the route I’m gonna go. Weber needs to make a go-anywhere XL lol.

One thing I didn’t say is: I need a portable grill but only in the aspect of I need to be able to carry (not roll) it from the patio to the shed, it will never go camping or even take a ride in the truck.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I think the JJ is definitely the winner for my needs.
I can easily carry a 22 inch kettle. Worst case two trips and go back for the lid.

If you have space in the shed, maybe the an 18 inch kettle would work for you.

The fuel efficiency on the 18 compared to everything else I own is notable too.....
I get shocked every year when I take it out for it's first use.

I can easily carry a 22 inch kettle. Worst case two trips and go back for the lid.

If you have space in the shed, maybe the an 18 inch kettle would work for you.
I agree and used the 22” for years, it but it burned a good amount of fuel for my small cooks.

My two cents' worth to concur with everyone else on the Jumbo Joe. I wanted to buy a smaller grill a year ago so I could do small cooks (for one) without firing up my good old 22" kettle. I had never even heard of the Jumbo Joe until I came back to this website (after an absence of 20 years) for advice. Rich and others recommended the JJ. I bought one and used it ALL last summer, way more than I ever fired up my 22". I love it!! It handles just like the 22" kettle, except I had to adapt to the grate being a little closer to the coals. I love that there is enough space to cook direct and indirect. I also bought the mini version of the charcoal chimney starter so I use less charcoal. Very efficient. I plan on taking it camping this year even though I have a very small car. A great choice!!

Well I borrowed a Jumbo Joe today and quickly realized it’s not for me and my current needs. We are gonna get another 22”.

Now if we ever start camping like we want to I’d definitely own a Jumbo Joe.

Thanks for all the info and advice.

I work for Weber, so both the Jumbo Joe and the Go-Anywhere are like my children and I love them both.

Just so the Go-Anywhere gets its fair shake though, I've compiled a number of photos that have been shared by owners of it using it to cook a wide range of different foods. It's more than just a "hot and fast" grilling machine, and can do roasting or even low and slow to some degree.

1714403557532.png1714403565594.png1714403580647.png1714403608424.png1714403594569.png1714403586237.png
1714403614061.png1714403620235.png1714403655377.png1714403646521.png1714403638383.png1714403627864.png

Attachments

• 1714403599492.png
    1714403599492.png
    430.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1714403642691.png
    1714403642691.png
    508.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1714403650911.png
    1714403650911.png
    593.1 KB · Views: 1

Back