14.5" WSM Door Gaps

Shawn Gardner

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone else with the new 14.5" WSM noticed gaps at the bottom corners of the door? I don't remember them being to big on my 18.5" but on the 14.5" there is a gap that has to be between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch in each corner. It is almost like where the bend in for the piece that catches on the inside was done wrong. Any thoughts on how to seal up the gap?

Mine is the same way. I also have an 18.5 & I noticed the difference right away. I contacted Weber & they sent me a new door but it was the same way. The only way I know to fix it would be with the gasket material.

I don't have the 14.5" WSM, but looking at the pics under "Product Info", the bend does look deeper than on my 18.5" & 22.5".
Marks got a good solution, I would add some gasket to the door on the bottom bend, that would suck it in tight when you close the door.

Tim

Here's a photo of the gaps on my 14.5" WSM. I noticed it before but discounted it to a manufacturing process variation. In my mind: no biggie.

Those pics show it perfect Dwain. I was thinking of the gasket thing but not sure how you could put it on to work. You either have to put it on the door and have some hang off downward with not backing so there would not be pressure to make a seal of your just put is right across the small gap. They aren't very big and I am not worried about them affecting cooking much, it is more when it comes time to smoother the flames at the end that I was thinking they might slow that process.

Cajun bandit makes a door for the 14.5 for 22 bucks

It's amazing how fast CB was able to come out with the new door for the 14.5. I just wish they would put similar effort into a real door latch, instead so forcing us to repurpose the crappy Weber latch.

You could fold up a small piece of foil and plug the gap, if it bothers you. That's what I do to plug the vent holes between cooks, when I have the Stoker adapter attached to the bottom vent.

I cooked yesterday and watched the gaps as at first I had alot of smoke, I couldn't see any coming out of it. At a guess it might be acting like an intake.

I got 8 hours at 240 out of a single load of KBB in the 14.5

Where are you guys finding the 14.5" Cajun Bandit door, I do not see it on their site and I have been checking religiously for one.

I ordered the door up from Cajun Bandit. With shipping it was $34.35. I will let you all know how it looks once I have it and have put it on.

I got the Cajun Bandit door installed last night. There are no gaps at all with this door. I have included pics of each corner and then one of the full smoker.

Thank for posting the photos. Looks nice. Looks like you're ready to smoke! What adapter did you with the Guru?

I just got the standard WSM adapter. It fits just fine. The inside isn't the tightest fit to the side of the bowl but the outside is flush and that matters most anyway.

Again, a reason I find I'm a fan of this site. Never heard of Cajun Bandit. Is there a page that I'm missing somewhere with other gems like this mod?

Back