$100 Sous Vide

Bob, so far, I've only bought the cookbooks. I've looked at prices and watched alot of You Tube video's, but have resisted the urge to buy anything else. I do have a small kitchen torch already, the kind you use for creme brulee, but have a feeling it wouldn't have enough power to brown meat. Like you, I figure I have enough grills around here along with cast iron skillets, I really don't need one. But. That's never stopped me before.��

I was just going to post about that! Get em while they're hot! I've got pork loin chops cooking sous vide as I type!

I was just going to post about that! Get em while they're hot! I've got pork loin chops cooking sous vide as I type!
Me too, but being a gold box deal thought most wouldn't see it in time.

So, did you order one Chris?
TVWBB SV'ers need a group to counter the naysayers. :)

edit to add, Mary, please let us know how your chops turn out.

Last edited:
I just ordered a couple more of the Anova NEW model for $119 for Xmas gifts for the kids. Couldn't pass up the deal, since I'm sure price will go up at the holidays. One never does know, I may keep one for myself, so I have both models!:)

Bob, I agree, we need a group for Sous Vide cooking and grilling afterwards!

And yes Bob, will let you know on the chops!

Thank you Chris.

This site rules because everybody wants everybody to get the best deal possible on everything from charcoal to a Weber Ranch Kettle.

Got in under the wire.

My old food saver doesn't work anymore what one do you guys recommend

Last edited:
Holy Smokes! Talk about FAST shipping! I ordered 3 of the newer models of the Anova's for $119 late yesterday afternoon.
This morning the dog was barking up a storm, went to see what all the fuss was, and low and behold, I had a front porch full of Boxes, filled with Anova's!

Holy Smokes! Talk about FAST shipping! I ordered 3 of the newer models of the Anova's for $119 late yesterday afternoon.
This morning the dog was barking up a storm, went to see what all the fuss was, and low and behold, I had a front porch full of Boxes, filled with Anova's!
Drone delivered maybe. :)

Drone delivered maybe. :)

..I wish! Seems they were shipped out of Washington State. Must have made good connections via air!

As promised, but really can't give a honest opinion on the Loin chops last evening.
Everything was going just fine and dandy, till just about 20 minutes before the chops were done in waterbath, then slowly everything went to chit! Seems, I forgot to eat anything yesterday, or take my meds, so my blood sugar started dropping like a wrecking ball! By the time I had dinner plated, I was in no shape to think, let alone take note of the cook!
I forgot to put olives in the macaroni salad, didn't start charcoal for the sear, so did a fast sear on a HOT cast iron griddle on the stove, and didn't taste chops without putting on SBR's Sweet and Spicy sauce on the meat on the griddle!
But ... the man having dinner with me thought the chops were moist, and juicy, and really tender, so tender, no knife needed... and the sear was perfect. But I remember saying, I thought mine was a bit dry, as mine was not as thick as his was, and too me, a bit too tender, not mooshy tender, but too tender for my liking. I didn't get any plated pics, cause I was worried I was about to do a face plant on the kitchen floor at any minute! I cooked on 140 for 2 hours as suggested in Sous Vide cookbook, but I think next time, I'll try 145 for an hour and half.
This morning I chopped the olives up and put them in the left over macaroni salad, for tonight's dinner, and I also ate this morning and took meds!

Be well Mary, take care of yourself.

Yes I think there will be a small learning curve to SV cooking.
One should probably keep notes, but I seldom do, and simply trust my no longer very trustworthy brain.

I was too late for the $100 sous vide but was able to jump on the Anova deal. Thanks Chris! I had some chops marinating in some soy, olive oil, chili paste, garlic and a touch of salt. So they got sous vided at 133 for an hour and then onto the grill for a quick sear. The chops were a bit thin but came out great. I think next time for chops that think I will use the vortex and some lump to get a rocket hot char....as you can see they didn't get much color, but I didn't want to over cook them. Final temp was 145 right off of the grill. Doing eggs right now, and I can't wait to try bscbs! Cheers!

IMG_3477.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3478.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3479.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back