05 Summit Platinum\Genesis Platinum Frankengrill Build Thread

But now you have a point of corrosion
That's a good point. My initial thought was that these 2 pieces are going to be so thick and unexposed to the elements that a few coats of paint would be enough to last forever, but I've come this far, might as well see it through.

I no longer have access to a welder, so all work from this point forward is done by hand with only access to a Harbor Freight metal cutter.

Anyone see an issue using Aluminum for these 2 pieces? I think it would be fine for the back as it is just a filler plate, but not sure it would be strong enough for the H member that secures the firebox bolt. Lowes sells an 8 gauge Angle that looks pretty beefy...

The more I look at it the more I think I should get another piece of the 1" stainless square for the firebox cross member, cut 3 sides off, and bolt the overhang on top of the 2 welded bars to "hang" across.
1616678059793.png
The other options is to use something like this and tap some bolts through:
1616677536309.png

Finally had time to tinker.

Went with aluminum for the filler/firebox bolt mount and back spacer.

Cut everything by hand and then used rivets to bolt it all in place.
PXL_20210331_230552533.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20210331_230608494.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20210331_235846644.jpgPXL_20210331_235918040.PORTRAIT.jpg

Overall very happy with where the project has taken me. Major items left:
1) figure out the best way to deal with the front panel gap,
2a) how to mount the sparker,
2b) Rig up some kind of support for the burner hooks.
PXL_20210401_000038844.jpg

Also realized the grease tray isn't accessable from the front anymore. The factory cross bar is removable, so I can service it annually by simply removing the 2 doors and the cross beam.
PXL_20210401_000223491.jpg

Oh. OK that is the summit frame. Cool.
As long as you were doing all that fabricating, you should have considered doing a 13 flavorizer bar deep box.
This just popped up locally. I can't tell, but I think it is a deep box with a stainless lid.... Tempting, but they are asking way too much for donner grill status at this point so I might have to wait a little and lowball them.

1617285187079.png1617285228312.png

I just rehabbed and sold that exact same grill. But on mine the bottom pan was rusted out and I replaced it with composite decking. I probably paid $25 for mine. They are a great grill if you value shelf space. But, it is not a deep box. That is a Silver B.

I just rehabbed and sold that exact same grill. But on mine the bottom pan was rusted out and I replaced it with composite decking. I probably paid $25 for mine. They are a great grill if you value shelf space. But, it is not a deep box. That is a Silver B.

It is absolutely insane that you can sell a grill for that kind of money. Beautiful or garbage, 5 years or 25, everyone lists a Weber for $125 or $400 in these parts.

You would be lucky to sell that grill for $150 in Charleston. I flipped a 2018 Genesis with some surface rust around this time last year. Cleaned it up like new and it took me almost 2 months to sell it for $250. Fortunetly I got it for free, but I was blown away at the lack of interest.

Getting closer. Tapped the firebox bolt and mounted it. Hopefully tomorrow I can get everything back together and mostly functional.

Will figure out the sparker, front plate, and hangers under working conditions. I can't go another week without grilling.

PXL_20210401_214900739.jpg
PXL_20210401_214911191.jpgPXL_20210401_220940789.jpg

So, we are really going to shoe horn a Genesis cook box into a Summit frame?
Please keep detailed records. I am planning on trying to stick a 13 bar deep Genesis firebox into a SS Genesis Platinum frame. I am open to ideas that I can adapt to my project.

It looks like he has already done it, Bruce! Now it is just cleaning up the few gaps and challenges this unique conversion brings with it.

Yep, I knew he was in the process, but I almost expected the project to get stuck. Looks like it is going to get there and I really want to see the end result. That Summit SS cabinet will be the bomb.

So, we are really going to shoe horn a Genesis cook box into a Summit frame?
Please keep detailed records. I am planning on trying to stick a 13 bar deep Genesis firebox into a SS Genesis Platinum frame. I am open to ideas that I can adapt to my project.
Overall the project has gone a lot smoother than expected, however my measure of complete is not perfection, so the bar is lower. I'm really more concerned with long term reliability, so I'm willing to let a few fine details go for the sake of getting back to my 2 year old.

So far only 2 major project notes:
1) A Summit cart is about 1/8" wider than a Genesis (or my cart is bowed). You can overcome wider with spacers, so an easy fix.
2) The gap left to fill by the firebox/controls is slightly less than 2 inches.

In hindsight I prob should have done a double width spacer on the left side of the grill. That would allow me to wedge the control panel against the right frame panel and put the hangers within range so you could hook them to the frame. I may go back and drill out my rivets and do just that.

Brandon, thanks for the update and your thoughts.
With the spacer on the left side, will that be exposed when the grill is completed or will there be something hiding it?

Brandon, thanks for the update and your thoughts.
With the spacer on the left side, will that be exposed when the grill is completed or will there be something hiding it?
It will be exposed. In theory I could rivet some stainless paneling over it, but I wasn't planning on it as it is thick aluminum (as are the rivets)

OK, when I do my SS Platinum, I hope to use all SS. But, I do want to work it so I don't have exposed framework on the top if possible.

Watching this whole thread, I am not sure the idea of adapting Summit or other real stainless panels to replace the backs, sides and maybe bottom of the Genesis Platinum cabinetry isn't still the better plan. I love what you did. I am just thinking it might be quicker to cut flat panels then to do all that adapting of the Summit frame. Either way, you get an almost "bulletproof" Weber.

Watching this whole thread, I am not sure the idea of adapting Summit or other real stainless panels to replace the backs, sides and maybe bottom of the Genesis Platinum cabinetry isn't still the better plan. I love what you did. I am just thinking it might be quicker to cut flat panels then to do all that adapting of the Summit frame. Either way, you get an almost "bulletproof" Weber.
That was my original plan, but the side panels are actually structural to the frame on the Summit, so removing required more work than expected.

I'd like to try this project again with the 4 burner Summit cart, hoping that the panels would be more interchangable.

Slight update as I haven't had much time.

Had to work some magic at the hardware store to get the adapters all right so I could use the Summit hose with the side. Burner Y..
PXL_20210408_205404901.jpg

Finally got the doors back on, but not real happy with them. Prob swap out the Genesis doors. I think they are the same size...

PXL_20210410_213941390.jpg

Somehow, I think there is probably and adapter out there that would have combined all of yours into one. ..... LOL, I can't even tell how many you have there.
It looks like it would be a 1/8" male NPT to 1/4" male NPT..

I can't wait to get started on my 05 SS Platinum Genesis.

Back