No. 5 Sauce

This is what I've been doing for awhile now:

2 C ketchup
1 C cider vinegar
2/3 C brown sugar (heaping or tightly packed)
2 T worcestershire sauce
2 T rub (1/3rd-ish recipe of pork rub)
1/6 C raspberry-chipotle marinade
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 T Sriracha sauce

I have Sriracha sauce because I've been making these little guys! Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings (Except with apricot, not orange), and the rub is this:

1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons pure chile powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or double for a nice kick!)

I've been looking for a sauce for this weekends 2nd attempt at brisket - judging by the many, many positive reviews i can't think of a better place to start that with the "stock" #5 sauce.

thank you for this!

Originally posted by M Krulee:
I've been looking for a sauce for this weekends 2nd attempt at brisket - judging by the many, many positive reviews i can't think of a better place to start that with the "stock" #5 sauce.

thank you for this!

Great Choice! It goes very well with Brisket. I made a brisket a couple weeks ago and the sauce was a huge hit. My brisket was undercooked and a little tough but the sauce made it great!

Made a batch of this sauce yesterday with by brisket (posting that little story later tonight). This sauce is aweseome! I did cut the vinegar in half as my wife's not a huge fan and it was still awesome. The drippings really give it a wonderful rich flavor.

Reminds be aobut the tag line that i see here now and then (sorry don't remember who uses it) something about half a pound of meat waking up a veggie burger! Great Sauce! Thank you.

Originally posted by M Krulee:
Made a batch of this sauce yesterday with by brisket (posting that little story later tonight). This sauce is aweseome! I did cut the vinegar in half as my wife's not a huge fan and it was still awesome. The drippings really give it a wonderful rich flavor.

Reminds be aobut the tag line that i see here now and then (sorry don't remember who uses it) something about half a pound of meat waking up a veggie burger! Great Sauce! Thank you.

I'm certainly not a huge fan of strong vinegar sauces, but this really gets good the second day - it changes overnight. And when used to BBQ chicken drummies it REALLY starts rockin! It's all caramelized and sticky. yum. Try a half batch per the original recipe; give it a few days to rest in the fridge or on the counter, and see if she turns her nose up at it!
icon_wink.gif

Finally tried this today on some pulled pork. Great sauce, and oh so easy! Thanks Steve.

"Holy-Mud-in-Your-Eye" Steve. I am one of those that tries nearly everything in this forum at one time or other but I have to say your No. 5 with my personal tweaks have made me the hero of our local BBQ community and I owe it all to you. What I do is as follows:

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon everyday rub
1 tablespoon Franks Red Hot Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Pepper Flakes
1/3 cup tomato juice
1 tablespoon Honey
1/2 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
3/4 cup Beef or Chicken Stock

Brushing on three layers of this sauce at the end of the cook makes chicken or pork taste out of this world. It has just enough kick to please the big boys and gentle enough for the tender lasses. By my indredients you can tell I am not into real thick sauces. 30 minutes on simmer and clear me a path to the grill. Great stuff. Really great. Thanks. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great creativity! Glad the base is working for you guys. I like the heat.

P.S. Costco has dried cherries back in stock in Charlotte. They are a favorite addition.

Sorry for he long post....
I have 2 different rubs I use.
PopDaddy's Butt Glitter (Brisket), and a Nutmeg Cinnimon Thyme mixture (Butt).
I find the Butt Glitter quite earthy, with a extra serving of Funk, while the other is quite tangy.
Do you think the nutmeg will mix well with the vinegar?
I looked through, but nutmeg didn't jump off the page in previous posts. Has any one had it as a rub ingredient in #5?
I am smoking a butt this weekend.
The total rub recipe is:
½ C Paprika
½ C light brown sugar
½ C onion powder
4 T salt
4 t ground nutmeg
4 t ground cinnamon
4 t ground thyme

Tom, nutmeg worked just fine for me. I used "Hot Nuts Rub" that I posted earlier in this rub and sauce recipe section. Hot Nuts Rub has only 1 teaspoon of nutmeg in it.

Gonna use my new WSM for the first time this weekend (as long as the weather cooperates). Does the # 5 sauce work well with the Magic Dust rub on BB ribs? Thanks guys!

No 5 saved the day!!!

Ok. So tonight I decide to try some BB ribs with no rub...only salt and some pepper. I'm in the mood to sauce the babies up with some Stubbs Spicy!!

1. Adult beverage tasted (2-3 times). check
2. Grill lit. Check.
3. Ribs de-membraned and seasoned. Check.
4. Adult beverage replenished. Check.
5. Ribs on. Check.
6. More adult beverages. Check.
7. I do a more HH no muss no fuss type of rib cook so I break out the toothpick to check for doneness. Getting close..... check
8. Time to think about saucing these babies... Check.
9. Into the fridge for Stubbs Spicy. Not there...***....
10. Into the pantry for Stubbs Spicy. Not there...***....
11. Run to the store?? Nope the chef has had several adult beverages...what to do??
12. I've read about some No 5 sauce on TVWBB several times....search.....all items on hand, looks modifiable...burner on..
13. Whipped it up, spiced it up, simmered a bit and sauced the ribs.

No 5 saved the day. Bye Bye Stubbs!!

So is the #5 sauce the very first sauce listed on the 1st page? Also, any ideas on how I can make a spicy version of it?

Originally posted by Luis L.:
So is the #5 sauce the very first sauce listed on the 1st page? Also, any ideas on how I can make a spicy version of it?
Excellent sauce! I first sautéed a finely chopped small onion and a jalapeno fresh from the garden, decreased vinegar to 1/3 cup. Added a dash of Frank’s Hot Sauce. Fantastic!

Don
Luis, yes the #5 Sauce is the firest recipe listed on the first page.
Hope this helps.
Tim

Good looking out Tim. The recipe looks very simple. I'm going to give it a shot when I'm running low on my Head Country.

Back