No. 5 Sauce

Worcester is many flavors and the rub is usually a myriad of flavors.

No.5 is just a start. It is intended to be a fast and easy sauce made from ingredients always on hand.

The next step is making it your own...perhaps by using your rub. Or, perhaps you add onion or garlic cloves. I like to add dried fruit-cherries are my favorite. Fresh herbs...fresh or dried peppers.....The point is ketchup, vinegar and sugar are just carriers for the flavors you'll layer on.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
No. 5 Sauce: last night I added about a quarter of a cup of dried cherries to a double batch of sauce. I strained the cherries out after simmering. One could easilly have blended them in. The cherries added a v. good fruit note. Cinnamon would work with this too.

I've read through every post on this thread. I've made 3 batches (one 'stock' and two experiments - which I'll post soon!) But Q: how much cinnamon would you add? Not including the rub or anything. A teaspoon? I know it's per preference, but answer for someone who doesn't know
icon_smile.gif
Thats why I'm asking.

Oh, and kudos on a fantastic basic sauce! I've got so many ideas. I'll be sharing.

Michael, it would depend on your rub. You could start with a couple of pinches of cinnamon and go up to 1/4 teaspoon or more for a single batch.

I tried something similar to this last night. Since the wife doesn't like vinegar much, I used 1/4 cup ACV. I also didn't have Worecestershire so I subbed it with Soy Sauce. I added some granulated garlic and onion to the mix and some Jalapeno juice. I also added 1/4 cup of Bourbon to the fray.

Simmered the concoction and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I tasted it this morning and it is out of this world with a nice tangy heat to it.

I came across this recipe in an Outdoor Cookbook from the 1960's. I think the sauce that goes with it is surprisingly close to our beloved No. 5.

epson004edited.jpg

So last night I added (to the base No 5):

1 slice onion
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1T Lemon Juice
2T Apple Jalepeno Pepper Jelly.

I first tried it without brown sugar but added that back after I tasted it. Simmered as usual.

I ran it in the blender this morning to mix the garlic and onion. The sauce turned bright orange in the blender. Then I simmered again and it turned red again. Very strange.

Before dinner, I tasted the sauce, and I was really surprised at the heat. However, when I put it on pulled pork, it was perfect.

Next time, I have some Pineapple Habanero jelly to add. But I might just add some pineapples and some peppers instead of jelly!

Meanwhile, I always keep a bottle of the base No 5 recipe around. It is my son's all-time favorite barbecue sauce. He uses it on everything.

Made a double batch of this this morning for tonight's chicken drummies:

1 C ketchup
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/3 C brown sugar
1 T worcestershire sauce
1 T rub
1/6 C Allegro raspberry-chipotle marinade
(On right of picture)

And the Rub:

1 T paprika
1 T firmly packed light brown sugar
1.5 t pure chile powder
1.5 t ground cumin
1 t coarsely ground black pepper
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t ground cayenne pepper (or double for a nice kick!)
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder

All I can say is WOW! The raspberry really comes through. MAYBE, bring it down to 1/4 c instead of 1/3, but still. YUM!

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

Took some left over #5 and mixed some habanero sauce to kick it up a little. Marinaded some U12 shrimp in it for a hour than grilled brushing some more sauce on it. They where wonderful.

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

WOW good stuff I added 1 cup of Black Lable Jack Daniels to the mix for mine!! Thank you so much for posting this!!!

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

P.S. My rubs are low salt.

Originally posted by Michael Coumerilh:
Made a double batch of this this morning for tonight's chicken drummies:

1 C ketchup
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/3 C brown sugar
1 T worcestershire sauce
1 T rub
1/6 C Allegro raspberry-chipotle marinade
(On right of picture)

And the Rub:

1 T paprika
1 T firmly packed light brown sugar
1.5 t pure chile powder
1.5 t ground cumin
1 t coarsely ground black pepper
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t ground cayenne pepper (or double for a nice kick!)
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder

I wanted to report on how this went over with the Chicken Drummies. While it was VERY good/flavorful, it was not NEARLY as sticky as I would have expected it to be. I could have put less Raspberry/Chipotle marinade in it, and it would have maybe been better (more sticky).

But, still good!

Thank you Steve for this recipe!

It's been a few years since I've made bbq sauce.
For a time I was in pursuit of homemade KC Masterpiece.
I can remember using a long list of ingredients and getting fairly close.

Not a big fan anymore, but bet adding a little molasses, and gasp, liquid smoke would make the No. 5 pretty close.

That's one of the beauty's of this sauce, it's great as-is, but changing the rub, vinegar type, and/or sweetener should make for some interesting and tasty results.
A dash or two of Sriracha sauce may also go into a batch soon.

Thanks again!
Bob

Thank you Bob.
You will get molasses flavor from the brown sugar but you certainly can add some or replace some of the brown sugar with molasses.

Use good molasses. Of two available at Harris Teeter, Grandma's was by far the best. I'm sure there are local favorites....

For some smoke flavor, try some of those end of season peppers out of your garden that you have smoked and dried. My last year jalapenos fit the bill just fine.

Keep making it better.

No.5 Now....

When doing a double batch I most often make these additions:

2 slices of fresh sweet onion
1 clove of garlic
1/3 cup dried cherries (or dried cranberries)

You may strain or blend these in.

A finnish with the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/4 cup meat drippings.

Heat can be adjusted with your favorite hot sauce or fresh jalapenos.

The best tweak for me is the fresh lemon juice addition. Enjoy.

This recipe above is over-the-top. I always liked the base No 5, but the dried fruit and (like you say) the fresh lemon juice is a real winner. I added everything but the drippings and lemon, and simmered until the onions were soft. Then I blended, added drippings and juice. Served on brisket, and it was a huge hit.

Thanks yet again Steve!

Made this for the 1st time last night. I used 1/3 cup of the cider vinegar and added 2 tablespoons of EVOO and simmered. This is the best sauce I have EVER had! I can't wait to try it with drippings!

Thanks for sharing Steve!

made a double batch for a HH brisket and got raves for the sauce....so simple.....so beautiful.

Thanks for posting this recipe

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

P.S. My rubs are low salt.

Steve or Kevin not sure if this was asked or not. I made this last year and I did cut back on the vinegar some.It was just to strong for me. But when you use the meat drippings or stock do you lessen the amount of ketchup or cider vinegar? I ask this because I was thinking this might make the sauce a bit runny. TIA Vince

Vince, when I add drippings , I do not cut ketchup or vinegar. The vinegar twang, I enjoy. If anything, I add extra vinegar. But, please make this as suits you! What you like is what is good for you. You can simmer to thicken.

Indefinitely. Technically, it doesn't even need to be fridged, the acidity being high enough, but for quality I would fridge it. Over time flavors can mute somewhat, so if making a large batch I'd suggest freezing what you're not going to use within a couple weeks.

Thanks Kevin, I should add that I used 1/8 cup of cider vinegar and 1/3 apple juice. Still should be good for several weeks right?

Back