No. 5 Sauce

Here is my second version of the sauce. Excellent IMO.

1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar, heaping and packed
1 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbls Rib Rub
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp liquid smoke

Add ingredients to sauce pot and simmer on low for 30 minutes.

just had to put in my response - made it w/ 1 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup ACV, 4 different hot sauces (habenero, schriaca, tapatio, dave's gourmet), cayenne, onion & garlic powder, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1.5 tbsp worchester, 2 beef bullion cubes, some yellow mustard, BRITU rub (w/o the MSG), & a couple of roasted chicken breasts that were cooked last night.

Good stuff. Wish I'd have treated my brisket drippings a little better, I'm sure that they'd have added a lot more to this. I'm impressed with it so far.

No.5 Now....

When doing a double batch I most often make these additions:

2 slices of fresh sweet onion
1 clove of garlic
1/3 cup dried cherries (or dried cranberries)

You may strain or blend these in.

A finnish with the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/4 cup meat drippings.

Heat can be adjusted with your favorite hot sauce or fresh jalapenos.

The best tweak for me is the fresh lemon juice addition. Enjoy.

Hey Steve,
I had some people over yesterday and whipped up a batch of sauce using your recipe. Everyone thought it was the best sauce they'd ever had. I cooked BRITU spares and let the guests compare this sauce with KC Masterpiece w/ honey (what BRITU calls for) and Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy. There was no comparison between the sauces, yours was definitely the best.

Using your original recipe, I used beef broth instead of drippings (didn't have any drippings), BRITU rub, and added:
-Couple extra tsp of brown sugar
-Little bit of honey (teaspoon or less)
-1 or 1.5 tsp of ancho chile powder
-.5 tsp or less of ground cayenne.

The sauce was excellent, my hat's off to you.

Thanks again!

Nick

ok.........so what is this #5 sauce? Is it a carolina type sauce? what makes it so special? I see that there are lots of versions of it here. Which one should i try? Im typically not a huge fan of the vinegar based type sauce. they all seem kinda potent. thanks

Originally posted by Corey Elks:
ok.........so what is this #5 sauce? Is it a carolina type sauce? what makes it so special? I see that there are lots of versions of it here. Which one should i try? Im typically not a huge fan of the vinegar based type sauce. they all seem kinda potent. thanks

Try the original #5 recipe first, and doctor it up from there if you like. I use the exact recipe for my brisket sauce, and add one more ingredient for my pork sauce.

The cool thing is that by changing the rub you add to the sauce, you change the flavor profile of the sauce. I make my own pork and brisket rubs, so the No 5 sauces I make compliment my meats perfectly.

Steve (Dude) - family favorite. Fantastic base from which tweak depending on meal and mood. I just don't buy BBQ sauce anymore. Quart mason jar with #5 at the ready. Thx.

Steve,

Just another "thanks" for this sauce...it's usually a staple in my fridge, but yesterday, I was going to do a tri-tip, and had nothing on hand
icon_eek.gif

With such a simple recipe, and no "exotic" ingredients, I whipped it together with stuff on hand...used McCormick Pork Rub, added a little Cholula, and it was great !

I'm not a fan of sweet sauces, but somehow, this one comes through with a unique taste...maybe it's the vinegar ? The stuff is addictive
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again !

Dean...

This sauce has made great barbecue almost too easy! I still use the basic 5 ingredients and as much as possible keep in hand. Adding brisket juices just takes it through the roof. I almost always use Texas BBQ Rub, and it's perfect for mixing in sauce.

Now, I have some Pineapple Habanero Pepper Jelly. I'm thinking of stirring in a tablespoon of that next weekend will add a nice little kick. Can't wait!

Hey all,

I'm reprising this sauce this weekend (for my Birthday smoke!), and had a quick question...

Currently, I only have organic ketchup at my house. Organic ketchup generally doesn't have the high fructose corn syrup found in traditional Heinz, and is not as sweet (I think the taste of organic ketchup is better).

My dilemma is that I love the No. 5 sauce, and am curious how different it's going to turn out if I use organic ketchup. Should I add some sugar? Should I play it safe and get 'standard' ketchup? Should I use the organic without any additional modifications?

Help!

Thanks.

Originally posted by CJ Eichinger:
Hey all,

I'm reprising this sauce this weekend (for my Birthday smoke!), and had a quick question...

Currently, I only have organic ketchup at my house. Organic ketchup generally doesn't have the high fructose corn syrup found in traditional Heinz, and is not as sweet (I think the taste of organic ketchup is better).

My dilemma is that I love the No. 5 sauce, and am curious how different it's going to turn out if I use organic ketchup. Should I add some sugar? Should I play it safe and get 'standard' ketchup? Should I use the organic without any additional modifications?

Help!

Thanks.

If you like the organic ketchup better, I bet you'll like the sauce better with it. I don't think it will hurt to add some extra sugar, but my bet is that you'll do just fine without it!

I'm with Steven. Further, sugar does not need much time to dissolve and disperse. In other words, taste after making. If you decide you want to add a little sugar then go ahead.

Made the original #5 w/ drippings last night and it is awesome. My wife and nephew loves Sweet Baby Rays and after trying the #5 they never even touched Sweet Baby Rays all night.

How is it possible for a sauce to have this much flavor with only 5 ingredients (well, 6 with the meat drippings)?

I compared this to another homemade recipe which has 3 times as many ingredients and I can't decide which I like better.

Back