No. 5 Sauce

37 degrees.... but still fired up the Weber Gas grill... boneless pork chops and potatoes sliced about 1/4" thick grilled with No. 5 sauce plus my additions... used it like ketchup with the potatoes too.. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

i just recently found heinz one carb ketchup and plan to make a batch of no.5 using it and splenda brown sugar blend this week when i do a chuck roll. one qusetion about using the meat drippings. i like to make my sauce the day before i do my cook to let the flavors blend. should i do that and add the drippings to the bottle when the meat is ready or just wait until the meat is ready and add the drippings to the simmering sauce?

I'm sure someone else has tried this but didn't want to search through all the posts. Threw some Jack in my #5 the other day and really liked the results.

Tony, in regards to meat drippings or flavors, I like to add them when I make the sauce if available...no reason why you can't add later tho.

i've made this sauce several times and every time has been fantastic. the latest batch right now is the gates sauce clone recipe with the vinegar proportions of the no 5 recipe omitting the sugar from the gates and replacing it with the brown sugar in the no 5 recipe. it is awesome.

Nathan, after reading your other post mentioning your desire to omit sugar, I would recommend trying ketchup first as it does contain some sugar which I think is appropriate.
However, if you want no sugar use a tomato product without sugar.

I tried a small batch of this sauce today with my wife. I tried it first with no sugar...but I think my mouth was totally puckered due to the vinegar. I put in a T of brown sugar and that calmed it down very nicely. I added 1/2 T of Frank's and my pork rub. Think I'll tweak it a bit more tonight and see what comes of it. Planning to try it on grilled chicken this weekend.

Here's my "final" version of this sauce I will try on chicken this weekend. I believe I have found approximately what I was looking for. It's not sweet at all, except for what you get from the ketchup. It's vinegary and thick. Niiiiice.

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 T worcestershire
1 T rub
1/2 T brown sugar
1/2 T Frank's
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder

I like the add. of soy, a different twist. If you need to thin, a little water works.

Other potential adds: dried fruit (cherry) and meat drippings....

What rub are you using if you care to share?

I would share the ingredients of the rub, but I don't know them. I have a co-worker who makes it and distributes it for free, but refuses to disclose the ingredients.

It seems to be a pretty simple rub. It's obviously got some salt and is quite peppery. Beyond that, it's tough to describe.

I have a co-worker who makes it and distributes it for free, but refuses to disclose the ingredients.
Nothing against you Nathan but tell that co-worker to grow up. We are all in this together. If he thinks it's such a magical formula then he should bottle it and sell it. My brother-in-law does the same thing with a mac and chesse recipe and it gets my blood boiling. That's why I never eat it when it's offered. Look at all the recipes people put out on this site that they could make money on.

Hey Nathan, yes, I used paste after trying the kethup. I liked the paste better because I thought the ketchup made the sauce too sweet. A matter of preference. The paste is more concentrated so add until you like the taste/

hmmmm.... like the sweet but the ketchup has been a little dominant to me.... love the idea of tomato paste, will make it thicker too, a bonus! gotta try that... SOON!

Originally posted by Dave L.:
I have a co-worker who makes it and distributes it for free, but refuses to disclose the ingredients.
Nothing against you Nathan but tell that co-worker to grow up. We are all in this together. If he thinks it's such a magical formula then he should bottle it and sell it. My brother-in-law does the same thing with a mac and chesse recipe and it gets my blood boiling. That's why I never eat it when it's offered. Look at all the recipes people put out on this site that they could make money on.[/QUOTE

Yeah, it is kinda irritating, but doesn't bother me too much. I know a lot of BBQ heads out there who refuse to disclose recipes. Just makes it more difficult to have a pleasant conversation on the topic.

As for the ketchup being too sweet...I must agree. I cooked the tweaked recipe on some chicken tonight and liked the results. But I still had trouble telling it much apart from Sweet Baby Ray's. Somehow, the sweetness came through...or was released when cooked. Not sure which. I think I'll add a can of tomato paste to the next batch and see where that takes me. I could also probably add another 1/3 cup vinegar. I could not taste the vinegar at all once cooked on the food.

OK, not to sound clueless, but could you use this sauce while pulling, or is it just for afterward, on each sammy?

I'm looking for a finishing sauce to combine with my pulled pork, before it is served.

Make sense?

Originally posted by Chip H (Hersh):
OK, not to sound clueless, but could you use this sauce while pulling, or is it just for afterward, on each sammy?

I'm looking for a finishing sauce to combine with my pulled pork, before it is served.

Make sense?
Make the No 5 sauce. Then to make a finishing sauce to mix in when pulling, here's how I do mine. Take 1/4C BBQ sauce, 1/4C chicken stock, and 2 TBS butter. Microwave to melt the butter and incorporate everything. That's more than enough to do one butt. Then top your sammie with some of the straight No5. HTH

Chip, I take the #5 sauce and mix it with my pulled pork along with extra rub. I do it while it's still hot from the foil and I'm pulling it apart. Of course, I always add more to my pork sammy. My wife says the sammy is swimming in the sauce by the time I'm done.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks, B. Not sure what HTH means, but I call it HOB (Heaven On a Bun)!

When I first made it, I told my wife we probably won't like it, the cider vinegar had too much smell. We don't care for vinegar much.
But, while pulling it, I dipped a piece into the sauce, and it was the best I've tasted. Then, when I mixed it with the stock, and finished the pulled, and spooned some fresh on my sammie, oh man oh man! Ate too much, couldn't stop!
Thanks, guys!

Originally posted by Chip H (Hersh):
Thanks, B. Not sure what HTH means, but I call it HOB (Heaven On a Bun)!

When I first made it, I told my wife we probably won't like it, the cider vinegar had too much smell. We don't care for vinegar much.
But, while pulling it, I dipped a piece into the sauce, and it was the best I've tasted. Then, when I mixed it with the stock, and finished the pulled, and spooned some fresh on my sammie, oh man oh man! Ate too much, couldn't stop!
Thanks, guys!
Chip, glad to hear it worked out for you. HTH is short for "hope that helps"
icon_smile.gif

Back