No. 5 Sauce

I'll be trying the #5 sauce for the first time later this week. We have a group of Canadians coming in to Tulsa this weekend, one of whom frequents the Canadian Prairie BBQ board where my husband hangs out. The #5 will be out on the table along with the Head Country and the Blues Hog. I'll mix it up in the next day or two so it can meld. I think I'll use Smokin' Guns rub and just a bit of extra heat, and blend in some drippings on Sunday before lunch.

Regards - Keri C

Keri, we've missed you on this board. Great to see your post
icon_smile.gif
I think you'll really love the no.5 sauce. It's easy to tweek to get what you'd like in taste.

OK, so I couldn't stand to go exactly by the base recipe. I doubled the recipe, used all the vinegar right up front, added extra brown sugar, upped the rub by 50%, and added a spoonful of low-sodium chicken base.

When I tasted it last night after simmering for a while, I thought "hmmm... what's all the fuss about?" When I squeezed out a taste onto my finger this morning, it tasted like a different sauce. Amazing what an overnight melding can do. Quite tasty this morning. I look forward to setting it out with the other sauces at our gathering this weekend.

-Keri

I have to completely agree with Keri. The overnight "melding" made a huge difference to me. Sauce became much more complex to me---glad I did a double batch!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I am so glad to see everyone is putting their own spin on this....

Today's version...using Christmas rub.

Double batch plus the following:

brown 1 piece bacon in garlic olive oil

add three slices onion minced to bacon

increase worchester to from 2T to 3T (this is a double batch)

add one cascabel pepper

simmer 20 min.

add 1/2 lemon juice

I'll know tomorrow how sweet it is. Enjoy!

When I make this sauce I do reduce the vinagar to a 1/4 cup, increase the brown sugar to 1/2 cup, and my secret ingredient is 1/4 cup cognac, and I'm sure brandy would work the same. I also add a few drops of hot sauce and a healthy amount of black pepper. Adding the cognac makes a big difference. Oh and dont forget them drippings
icon_wink.gif

Brandon

glad to see keri say that, I to exact same thing, maybe our taste buds are "slower" haha, but I thought "whats the big deal... but then next couple days... lovin it baby, lovin it. good job steve, I always try to make sauces simple and just frustrates me to find this... some of us get, and I cant even make toast. -Dan

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

I modified this slightly. I upped the vinegar to 2/3 cup and added a 3/4 tablespoon of Franks Red Hot.

Love this recipe!

I find some great additions to this sauce are. (In no picticular order or quantity)

Molasses
Honey
Ancho Chili
Aleppo Chili
Nutmeg
Allspice
Dried minced onions
Apple juice
Pineapple juice
An overnight stay in the fridge
And of course meat drippings or bacon

One time I messed up and put 1/3 cup of Dark molasses and it still turned out good. I think this is a great sauce because you can tweak it anyway you like and it wont be bad.

I like some extra juice sometimes to thin it out for squeeze bottle applications or glazes

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Of course Kevin is correct.
I have not changed the basic ingredients after cooking many batches. If I want heat, I'll add some of my smoked peppers. Or, if I am looking for a heartier sauce, add more rub.

does the coke add a coke caramel flavor and color, or is it just the sweetness that comes through, acheivable also by i guess more brown sugar? also, how about adding cider vinegar to this recipe?

Yes. You can add any of those including more cider vinegar. Since I have not tried coke I'm not sure if you will get much from it except the sweet and a little fruit. Try it and let us know.

Search for: No. 5.2 Sauce for my latest version....

Steve,

Too bad you gave us the recipe for free, you could bottle this stuff and make millions.

I tried something new tonight. I had a steak in the refrigerator and a bottle of No. 5, too. So I marinated the steak in No. 5 for about an hour before grilling it (I also added some steak seasoning before grilling).

The final product turned out terrific. No. 5 makes a first class marinade, too.

Jim

Well, I did some pork spares yesterday....tried "foiling" my ribs for the first time...

Only had 3 people for dinner....me, the wife, and a neighbor...laid out 3 sauces for a vote for the final un-foiled finish....put out Kevin K's "Kinda Carolina" mustard (my vote !), my "standard Floridian", and Steve's No. 5 sauce.....Steve's No. 5 won, and I gotta say....the ribs were GREAT !

I'm now a believer in the No. 5 sauce, as well as foiling ribs to get that FOTB texture that the un-knowing folks want (per Stogie's comments)

Thanks, Steve, for the recipe !!!

Dean...

Here's how I made it my own
Cider vinegar down to 1/8 a cup
Brown sugar up to 1/3 a cup + 2 tsp.
1.5 tsp of garlic powder.

(If foiling my ribs I'll add 1/4 a cup of the drippings.)

This is by far my new favorite for ribs.

Thanks Steve!

Back