No. 5 Sauce

Any one tried Bad Byron's Butt Rub as the "rub" in the sauce?

I'm about to make this in a few minutes for guests tonight.

thanks

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Originally posted by Dave L:

How does Steve's No. 5 sauce work with spare ribs as a side sauce or slather? Personally I don't slather my ribs but was wondering because some people like it that way. All the threads talk about pulled pork.

I use this sauce on my spares.
I usually slather about half of the racks I make, just so the diners can decide for them selves and enjoy the flavour of the meat/rub/smoke.

Steve, I made your sauce this weekend for boneless beef ribs and cooked them in the croc-pot. All I can say is WOW
icon_eek.gif
. I added about two tablespoons of horseradish and about 1/4 cub sherry. That is the perfect base for any kind of sauce you want to make. Even my wife loved it and she can be very picky some times
icon_rolleyes.gif
. BEST homemade sauce I ever made.

Dave,
Im new to this forum... Excuse the ignorance, did you cook your ribs in the slow cooker with the No.5 sauce? or applied the sauce later when the ribs were served??

Sid

Hi Sid,
I cooked the meat in the sauce in the slow cooker. I made the sauce first on the stove then put the hot sauce and meat in the cooker and put it on low. It cooked for about 10 hrs. and came out nice and tender.

Tonight's version:

Double batch No. 5
1 small handfull dried cherries
1 small handfull craisins
(maybe a total of 1/4 cup of dried fruit)
1/2 cup fresh chicken stock
1 whole dried Cascabel chili pepper

I'll have to be honest.. I tried this sauce recipe about 18 months ago, and decided to have a little fun with it. My wife and I are garlic freaks, so I added some granulated garlic. We were sorta disappointed - it ended up tasting more like tomato/marinara sauce. We prefer a mustard-based sauce anyway (I had guests to whom I wanted to present the red sauce option). But I ditched it, and whenever I needed red, I had been using bottled tomato-based BBQ sauce since.

Well, after reading this thread a bit more, I decided to give it another shot. Last night, I cooked up a batch. Not sweet enough. Added more brown sugar. Almost sweet enough. Added a bit of honey and molasses. Sweet enough!
icon_smile.gif
I also added a bit of cayenne and 3 drops of liquid smoke.

Wow. That's all I can say. Again, I normally shy away from red sauces, but this is fantastic. Can't wait to actually use it next Saturday (butt and brisket cook). I still may keep a bottle of KC on hand as a backup for our guests, but I think this will go over superbly!

Thanks Steve!

Measurements, what are those?
icon_smile.gif

This type of stuff, I always do to taste. The little that I made last night was actually a quarter-batch, not even a half cup total. I probably added 2 tablespoons of honey, a tablespoon of molasses, a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne, and 3 drops of liquid smoke. I just guessed on those amounts.

Dan, thanks . I guess I've been hanging around some other cooking forums too long where cooking is like rocket science

I had not made Steve's #5 sauce since last summer and decided to make a double batch today.

I used Dr BBQ's rub and added 1/2 cup of molasses. I mixed in 3/4 cup of white vinegar and simmered the sauce for about 45 minutes. After removing the sauce from the heat I added the remaining 1/4 of vinegar to retain a little more of the vinegar kick.

The sauce is just wonderful. It is much better than any commercial or BBQ restaurant sauce that we have had during the past 6 months. Thanks Steve.

I agree with John. That is the best sauce I've had. Making up a batch tonight to put on country style ribs.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

P.S. My rubs are low salt.
I added 1 tsp red pepper flakes and 1 tsp Pickapeppa sauce (love that stuff!!) Turned out pretty good!

Ben

I made this yesterday with a brisket.

I made a single batch and jazzed it up with some Cayenne and Red Table wine.

1C ketchup
1/4C Cider vinegar
1/4C Red Wine (I had Petite Syrah open but drier would only get better)
1/3C Dark Brown Sugar
1T Worcestershire
1T rub (from the Savory Brisket Rub thread)
1t Cayenne Pepper
I had about a half-cup of drippings from the Brisket that I added.

Note without the Cayenne, I found the vinegar taste to be a little too strong. The Cayenne was a perfect add. The Red Wine really added something new. I simmered the sauce for about 30 minutes to reduce the liquid.

Awesome sauce. Easy and tasty.

I've made this sauce twice now using brisket drippings from the pan. This sauce is simple AND great. Very good taste while not overpowering the meat.

When I pull the brisket to finish in foil/hold in cooler I will collect the fat from the pan and put it in a cup.

I put the fat into a tall/thin cup and store in the freezer for about 20 minutes. By that time a good amount of the fat has separated and I remove the fat "disc" from the top of the cup. I will then put the cup back into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to do a second collecting of fat. By this time I feel most of the fat has been removed from the drippings. I will add 1/4 to 1/2 C of this to the original recipe, depending on taste.

I will make the sauce according to the recipe then add honey/molasses to taste. I like a sweet sauce. Awesome stuff! I feel the drippings add a smokier/fuller flavor to the sauce.

The drippings will turn into a jelly if left in the fridge overnight. To return to liquid it takes a small amount of heat.

I have a question concerning making the sauce from pan drippings from pork butt.

Should this work the same as when making the sauce using the brisket pan drippings? I would assume it would work exactly the same.

I'm usually worried about the drippings being contaminated, especially if they have been sitting in the pan for 8+ hours. I assume that the temperature in the smoker will keep the drippings hot enough to prevent any contamination, but I am not 100% sure.

Also, simmering the sauce for at least 20 minutes, I assume that any bacteria will be killed by the heat. I just want to be safe.

The reason I prefer to use pan drippings over juice collected in the foil while holding is simply a time issue. I like to have the sauce prepared before the final rush of getting the meal ready.

Back