No. 5 Sauce

I finally got around to making a batch of good ole No. 5. All I can say is it is a great sauce. This is going to be the starting point my sauce experimentation from now on.

Just wanted to say thanks, Steve. This sauce turned out great (didn't add any meat drippings, will def have to try, I'm sure its amazing) the couple times I made it. Definitely my go to for most bbq sauce needs now.

Having this recipe as a starting reference has made my sauces immeasurably better. Here is my latest try made specifically with beef brisket in mind:

1/3 cup of fresh brewed coffee
1/3 cup white sugar

Combine in a saucepan over low heat and make a simple syrup.

Add the following ingredients, blend over low heat:

1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp powdered rosemary
1/8 tsp white pepper
pinch of cayenne

The wife liked this one so much that she asked me immediately write down the recipe so I wouldn't forget it. Give it a try and enjoy.

Originally posted by Dan Krause:
Having this recipe as a starting reference has made my sauces immeasurably better. Here is my latest try made specifically with beef brisket in mind:

1/3 cup of fresh brewed coffee
1/3 cup white sugar

Combine in a saucepan over low heat and make a simple syrup.

Add the following ingredients, blend over low heat:

1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp powdered rosemary
1/8 tsp white pepper
pinch of cayenne

The wife liked this one so much that she asked me immediately write down the recipe so I wouldn't forget it. Give it a try and enjoy.

Dan, would you post this as a stand alone recipe. Would like to be able to look this up in the future. Hey, give it a great name while you're at it
icon_biggrin.gif

Dan, I think you've got one there. Gonna try this one out for my brisket turn-in box this weekend. Will let you know what the judges think.

Gonna try balsamic instead of the white vinegar (just cause I like the taste). Also, I've got a giant rosemary bush in the back yard that needs some trimming. So I'll grind up a few leaves instead of powdered.

Russ

I too have to report that I gave this a try and was impressed to have such a simple base to work from. I made mine as the standard base in order to better know what I might want to add. I did and 1/8t of liquid smoke for just a hint.

I also wanted to add for others that in this and all sauces, you should let it cool before making an assesment on the vinegar content, and before you rule out not liking a sauce, let it sleep in the refridgerator for at least a day. Magical things happen there and things really come together with a little time.

Update: Just made another batch with the following additions to the base.

1/2 t fresh cracked pepper
1 t lemon juice
2 t siracha

Was trying to get something like Famous Daves Devil Spit. It is bottled now. Will see next week when it gets opened.

Originally posted by Jeff R:
I too have to report that I gave this a try and was impressed to have such a simple base to work from. I made mine as the standard base in order to better know what I might want to add. I did and 1/8t of liquid smoke for just a hint.

I also wanted to add for others that in this and all sauces, you should let it cool before making an assesment on the vinegar content, and before you rule out not liking a sauce, let it sleep in the refridgerator for at least a day. Magical things happen there and things really come together with a little time.

Very true!!!

I have used Steve's #5 sauce several times and it has been an instant hit since the very first time I tried it. I smoked a butt this weekend, and wanted felt like a little sweeter sauce. I followed the #5 recipe, but added a (not quite full) shot glass of Captian Morgan Private Stock Rum. I now think this is the way I will make it from now on. Again, and instant hit with family and friends!!
Thanks again Steve!
Tim

Have to throw my hat into the ring and thank Steve for this mighty fine share.

The wife and half the kids love sweet and mild, I'm more partial to smokey and a bit of kick as are the other half of the brood and my brothers really like the fire. This excellent recipe gives me the base I need to make sure I have 3 variations on hand to please the whole crowd.

Thanks again Steve and all those who have added their thoughts to this GREAT thread. I'll post my variations when I finally peg 'em.

Rich

Steve,

I made my 1st pork butt yesterday. I used your recipe and a regular sweet recipe. No one touch the sweet recipe. Everyone raved about yours. Thanks for help making my first pork butt a hit.

Using my version of the No. 5 sauce (Steve's exact recipe actually, using my rub recipe) I won 1st place brisket at Smokin' in the Bogs Labor Day weekend.

I have cooked 5 comps, used the No. 5 sauce in every comp, and walked in brisket everytime.

Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
Using my version of the No. 5 sauce (Steve's exact recipe actually, using my rub recipe) I won 1st place brisket at Smokin' in the Bogs Labor Day weekend.

I have cooked 5 comps, used the No. 5 sauce in every comp, and walked in brisket everytime.

You've got the love the power of KISS

Great sauce. Just made it for some HH brisket. I already have some ideas on how to tweak it for my own (adding heat, etc).

can't believe I didn't see this before........or if I did, I forgot about it, LOL!

I'm doing a HH brisket this weekend for XMAS and I'm definitely using this recipe with the meat drippings.

THANKS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

icon_smile.gif

Well I finally took the plunge and made me some No. 5 sauce.. Not sure why it took so long since its soo easy to make.. But I decided to make it more to my liking.. So if you don't mind I submit my version which I aptly call "Dragon's Blood".

1 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup cider vinegar
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 Tbl spn Worcestershire sauce
1.5 dashes Liquid smoke
2 tspns Cayenne powder (roasted if possible!!)
1.5 tspns Habanero powder
3/4 tspn garlic powder
1 tspn onion powder
1.5 tspns Montreal Steak spice

Gotta say its delicious.. But not for the weak
icon_wink.gif

Have you been using some siracha-hot chili sauce?
I finally discovered it.....so it was time for a batch of No5.
I made the basic No.5 Sauce and added:
1 Tablespoon of prepared yellow mustard
1 teaspoon of Siracha

It just finished a quick simmer...tastes pretty good.

I've cut the vinegar back to 1/3 cup for our tastes.

With my last batch, I replaced a little of the vinegar with Wicker's marinade (clone here.)
The results were excellent.

My grandson likes making his own rubs and sauces, so I pointed out No 5 to him for a base to build from.
We'll see what he comes up with.

Back