Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacques Pepin makes me feel...

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar

Jacques Pepin makes me feel...

Incompetent! I decided that, after years of watching him de bone a whole chicken in under a minute, I would go ahead and try swimming in that end (very deep) of the pool. It probably took me the best part of 45 minutes. I think I just need a LOT of practice! Making the stuffing was a snap, the actual stuffing was not too tough but, my trussing needs more practice as well.
    End result wasn’t as pretty as his but, WOW! It was delightful! With practice I think it would be a real show stopper! I went basic indirect (22.5 kettle) and could have done three if carefully placed. The presentation is so pretty! Beautiful stuffed slices of boneless chicken in almost “loaf fashion” sorry about no pictures but, after the challenge of my first deboning project, I was happy that the flavor was as good as it was, and...it’s GONE!
    Thanks Jacques for once again showing me technical excellence!
    YouTube galentine recipe. I’m thinking by Thanksgiving I will try a turkey this way! If I get enough practice.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Pro
    Watching great knife skills is almost watching magic in action. This sounds almost like poultry in motion.....

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    That was just about what I’d expected from my wife! She just shook her head when I walked in the room and said it had been the most tense time I had spent cooking in forty years! I just need practice!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

HE definitely is a master of the art. I can debone one pretty quick but not a minute. One thing that helps him is he has an army of professionals behind him who keep his knives razor sharp. I have tried so hard and I can get nowhere near the sharpness and ease of use I see the TV folks get. I.E. they take and onion and the knife slides right through. Not mine, they can butterfly a roast with no hesitation of their blades. Not mine. I can go on but I'm sure you get the picture

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    A sharp knife is a safe knife.... mine are some of the most dangerous on the planet. I deboned a whole chicken once and it looked like a scene from a chainsaw horror movie. Tried every known sharping tool out there with little to no success. So I've become an avid fan of bone in chicken.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    So I've become an avid fan of bone in chicken.
    LOL! I am a horrible knife sharpener on my own, so I broke down earlier this year and now I use the Chef's Choice 130 and/or 15 Trizor; I have been extremely well-pleased with their performance.

TVWBB Pro
    I used to use a couple of different Chef's Choice sharpeners. They did okay, but one in particular would not sharpen all the way to the bolster.

I picked up a WorkSharp belt sander/sharpener a couple of years ago, I can put an edge on that's good enough to comfortably dry shave with, and it just about nothing flat.

Several years ago, after watching his video several times, I felt confident I could nail that boneless chicken. After about 40 minutes, the kitchen looked like a crime scene. I haven't tried it since.
    ; ; ;

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    I'm feeling a bit smug............I was always smart enough to know to not try it.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    LOL! I am a horrible knife sharpener on my own, so I broke down earlier this year and now I use the Chef's Choice 130 and/or 15 Trizor; I have been extremely well-pleased with their performance.
    I have a Chef's Choice 120 which is the best I have found so far. I think a lot of it has to do with most of my knifes are made probably from recycled Yugo body parts.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast