Costco Report and it's not so good

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Barb and I went to Costco today and I thought I would check some prices in the meat department.

Baby backs $3.29lb
St. Louis ribs $2.99lb
Pork belly $2.99lb
Hang on to your hat!
Choice brisket $6.79lb

Looks like the brisket thing about prices going up is true. Cheapest one they had was $56.

The last brisket I bought at Costco a couple of months ago was a prime not choice I paid $4.29lb, choice was $3.49lb. The price of choice brisket has doubled in less than three months.

Prime whole brisket packers were $3.59/lb here last Wednesday, that could have changed by now.
I've only seen trimmed flats graded Choice at my store.

My grocer sells choice CAB brisket for $6.00 a pound, but its " market trim " . They've already trimmed most of the fat off. I've not looked at their packer cuts in a while.

Barb and I went to Costco today and I thought I would check some prices in the meat department.

Baby backs $3.29lb
St. Louis ribs $2.99lb
Pork belly $2.99lb
Hang on to your hat!
Choice brisket $6.79lb

Looks like the brisket thing about prices going up is true. Cheapest one they had was $56.

For the two Costcos near me at least, the only bargain is the Prime Beef. For everything else, the price/quality is better at Wegman's.

I have almost given up on our local Costco. Prices seem to be high on most of what I look at there.

I was at my local Sams this morning and they did not have any brisket out in the cases. Last time there, two weeks ago today, they did not have any brisket out in the cases.

Maybe Thursday's are not the best days for brisket at Sams. Or maybe Sams has not been getting any brisket. But I thought it strange.

Usually Costco has an end cap cooler full of briskets but this time they only had about five of them in the beef section of the main cooler. Was in Walley's yesterday and they had a couple of no name packers at $3.67 a pound. Quality is unknown to me, don't know if I would chance it.

Was in Walley's yesterday and they had a couple of no name packers at $3.67 a pound. Quality is unknown to me, don't know if I would chance it.

Prolly Select/no roll. WW always had those cheap when I first started for like $ 2.25 lb. Perfect for HH brisket.

Tim

Last week a local chain, of two stores, had CAB whole packers for $3.99/lb in their ad, I didn't see them in person.

Last week a local chain, of two stores, had CAB whole packers for $3.99/lb in their ad, I didn't see them in person.

Waiting to see if packers show up in our local stores on sale. They don't do it a lot, but they do put them on sale every once in awhile. In between sales they don't have any.

Jo actually prefers my tri tip cooked like a brisket over a real brisket, I'm a fan too.
Not as moist, but every bit as tender and tasty. Perfect for just the two of us.

My wife picked up a prime brisket from Costco approx 30 miles east of home for 3.59. They only had 2 in stock. She brought one home and it did not not look nearly as nice as the one i bought in May. Looks more like the choice I bought from Walmart last month.

Bob Correll told us about this and I just got around to looking for the article. Sad.....

First the Polish and now this!! :mad: Seriously though, we made our weekly trip to Costco on Thursday and got 3 beautiful Ribeye caps. Guess I was lucky.

Back