Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Oak Charcoal

TVWBB Super Fan

Royal Oak Charcoal

I bought 3 twin packs at Wally World during the Memorial Day Sale and have been using this exclusively since then.

I really like this for smoking in the WSM. Works great for low and slow.

I put it through the tests for high heat grilling and so far it is working fine. Haven't noticed any difference in temp vs. KBB. Only issue with it is that it does burn down faster then KBB. This is probably due to the smaller size of the briquettes. With KBB, I would always have coals to re-use for the next time after shutting down the Performer. Not with this stuff. I tried it a couple times and the leftover coals were so small that they were unusable. So now I don't even bother with shutting down the grill after cooking is done.

That said, I'll go back to KBB for high heat grilling after I use up the remaining bags of Royal Oak. Hopefully the Labor Day Sales for KBB will at least be equal to what the prices were on Memorial Day. We'll see.
    Genesis EP-320 - steel gray (2010 model), Chargriller Super Pro, 22.5 OTG, 2014 Performer (Copper), 2014 Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Masterbuilt Pro duel fuel smoker, 18.5" WSM

TVWBB Pro
    Thanks for the review. Have you used the Weber charcoal before?

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
    Thanks for the review. Have you used the Weber charcoal before?
    You're welcome. No, I haven't used Weber charcoal.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    My experience is about the same as your's. I've been using it for some high temp sears and it seems to not burn as hot as some other charcoals I have. I haven't done a direct comparison with KBB, though. It's perfect for a lot of cooks.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

I've been using RO almost exclusively since the K changed the formula in 06.
    Never had any problems shutting it down and reusing unspent coals.
    But RO across the country is all over the place as far as packaging and product.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I really like royal oak, except for the burn time it's as good as KBB imho. The biggest difference was when I used it in the vortex the cook time was at least a third less than KBB and the heat level dropped pretty fast in comparison to KBB, but it got the job done.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

I like the Royal Oak bag color. Easier for me to find.

Here's a charcoal comparison. Royal Oak ridges came out on top
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...ign=RSS%20Feed

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    I've been using some RO briqs lately, and I agree with Dustin, it doesn't burn as hot as KBB and others, at least for me.

The only RO charcoal we have in stores around here (Salt Lake City) is RO lump, no briquettes.

I bought a bag of RO lump a few years ago when it was on sale at HD. Still haven't used it......
    (AH)-Black, ThermaPen Classic-Red, Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set, Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set, Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast