Stainless Steel Cooking grates for the Q grills

I have been thinking about getting similar for the 320 but it has not progressed beyond "thinking" :D

Yah, they just seem to be almost no brainers if they are sturdy. Easy to clean and they won't corrode. That is the one issue I have with Q grills is that the grates are not easy to clean and the inevitably wind up rusting, flaking and chipping. If these SS grates would work good, a guy would have a nearly bullet proof grill that would perform well with just need a simple cleaning every so often.

I can sure see the advantages of stainless, but I guess that design doesn't really appeal to me. Too much flat area your food is directly laying on - almost like a griddle.

I am a cast iron fan, but agree that the some Q grates don't hold up as well. I don't know if it is another product that has gone downhill, but I can say that the grates on my 11 year old CharQ look almost perfect, and the ones that came with my first rather old Q200 were also amazing. On some of the new Qs it seems the coating is almost like thick paint that has dried but not really adhered - just begging to chip off. Maybe that isn't fair, but it just looks that way. I am avoiding hard brushes as much as possible and trying to use replaceable (or Dollar store throwaway) soft type scrubber pads on my current Q to extend the life of the grates.

I debated over buying a new grate for my Q300, but instead ordered GrillGrates to fit over the Q grates when there was a sale and haven’t looked back since. I was poo-pooed by people that don’t have them but I have forged on with them and enjoyed their use. Last nite I seared a nice thick ribeye on the flat side by turning it every couple of minutes til it reached 130* seasoned with just coarse sea salt, mmmmm good!! with crash potatoes and a green salad. They even out the heat well and work with anything that you cook on the original grates. Bonus is that I can adapt them for the Q220, and my 22” kettle and use either side of the grates to cook with. They will probably outlast the Q’s they are so durable. There must be a couple of others that are using them on this forum with the same results that I get!!

Tom,
I have had great experience with GrillGrates and have a set that replaces the regular grates for the Genesis grill. It produces hard to beat results as far as grill marks go (if you like that like I do). They also help even out temperatures and do reduce flare-ups.

7xX2DS8.jpg

3HUTsOJ.jpg

I also have a set that came with my used Rec Tec pellet grill where they help this type of grill deliver at least some higher heat and sear effect. I used them last night to grill chicken strips fairly successfully which is not a pellet grill’s strong point.

I have never used GrillGrates on a Q because the three Q’s I have owned and grilled on all still had perfectly good cast iron. However, I could see them working very well to put on top of a worn-out set of Q grates. They should last a long, long time and all the original grates would have to do is hold them up and continue to channel grease away from the burners like they were designed to do.

Critics have concerns about grilling with aluminum which I think cannot be either proven or ruled out. I am not convinced enough to get rid of mine. I don’t at all agree, however, with the assessments that they don’t produce real grilling results, are too expensive or that they are flimsy and won’t last.

Last edited:
I have a huge,thick commercial oven pan I was trying to get laser cut and that Amazon grill is what I was looking to create. I do have Grill Grates for my Jumbo Joe and it will fit on my Q220, but doesn't cover all the space. I too recommend to get Grill Grates as it evens out the heat and keeps flares down.

I thought about it until I checked the cost. $100 for the Q3xxx so I'm not liking that. They also look more like a plancha than a grate. Basically thick sheet metal

Yah, but if they work good and are sturdy enough, they would basically be lifetime grates. Q grills seem to eat CI grates.

Yah, but if they work good and are sturdy enough, they would basically be lifetime grates. Q grills seem to eat CI grates.

Yeah, but I am not very convinced by that design. If it were possible to mold stainless steel in the shape of the original cast iron, that would really be something. Since that doesn't seem to be on the horizon, here's a post from a while back by Tom Bauer where he decided to go with GrillGrates on his Q. Love them or hate them, if you put a set of these on top of an old rusted cast iron grate (as a platform) you would also have something that would last a lifetime and also is certainly sturdy - especially in this configuration.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74430-Q300-GrillGrates-on-a-Q200

Jon, how would those things be for cleaning? Wouldn't they slide around when trying to brush or scrape them?

Jon, how would those things be for cleaning? Wouldn't they slide around when trying to brush or scrape them?

I haven't used them in a Q, so I can't say for certain. Looking at Tom's picture it does look like they are pretty secure. Basic cleaning mean just scraping the tops of the rails. Those wooden paddle scrapers are perfect for that. To clean in between the rails, you can use the multi-pronged tool they provide or get fancier and buy their "valley brush." You just scrape the stuff pushing it to the back. If you do a burn off now and then, that will take care of them for a long time. However, they are light weight and easy to remove. Then just wash in soap and water in a bucket.

I have used GrillGrates on my Q for the last 2 months or so. (about 10 cooks)
They work great, and I am pleased. I ordered this set specifically for my 2000/3000.
I just take 2 panels and they fit nicely on the Q300. They would slide around if
I were to try to brush them hard, but so far there has not been any cleaning needed.
I spray them prior to using, and nothing sticks. Steaks cooked on the ridge sides,
and smash burgers on the flat side.

Yes, the two sides do give versatility. I agree that with some grill Crisco or other oil they don’t stick and do give very even results. Certainly a viable solution for rusty Q grates.

Those are interesting. I wonder how they would be to clean though.

They also have versions for the Q2xxx and Q3xxx as well for very reasonable prices.

Look at that spacing though. You could drive a Buick between those bars otherwise I would be all over something like that

Yah, and then you have that. The gap between the bars. But, what about the kettle grills, wouldn't their spacing be similar.

Yah, the spacing doesn't look too great but at least you have the guards under the rods that cover the burners so that should compensate a little.

Back