Reverse cast iron seared ribeyes

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Two Creekstone Farms Black Angus ribeye steaks, salted for an hour in the fridge before grilling. Patted dry, applied a little ground pepper. Setup grill for indirect cooking with Burners #1 and #2 on OFF and Burners #3 and #4 on MEDIUM. Placed steaks over cool side, took about 16 minutes to bring them up to about 95°F internal measured with the Thermapen Mk4. Removed steaks from grill, turned all burners to HIGH, added a bit of peanut oil to the skillet. When oil was smoking, seared steaks for 3 minutes per side.

I didn't quite get the sear I wanted. In the past, I've had better results using the Lodge griddle and letting it get ripping hot without oil on the surface. Will probably go back to that next time.

Still, it was good eats. The internal temp was to my liking, something between medium-rare and medium.

VljalO7.jpg

3irsKcH.jpg

Csk7K1Z.jpg

3TFB0Y7.jpg

qNOubgo.jpg

qu8ntli.jpg

Man, my knees just got weak! Looking good Chris. The ribeyes I did the other night were almost pan seared, then I changed my mind at the last minute. Maybe next time!

Very nice cook Chris. I also have to try doing a pan sear. But being old, slow and full of fleas I always forget to do it.

Back