Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon Bacon

TVWBB Fan

Bourbon Bacon

Just did my first batch of bacon and Im never going back to store bought! Next round, Id like to do a bourbon brown sugar. Can I put the bourbon in with the cure or will then screw up the chemicals reactions?
    Eric Mann
    Happy Beetle BBQ

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I googled around and I've seen some recipes for it so I don't why not.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

I like to dry cure bacon, adding any flavoring to the meat prior to smoking. I would probably baste the bourbon onto the meat right before smoking it, and possibly during the smoke process. Keep in mind that if you do it with the cure it may make the end product super strong. Cut your belly into 2-3 pieces and try it both ways. That's what I do when I want to experiment with flavors I haven't tried. Then if it doesn't turn out your not out a whole belly. I like to cut my belly into thirds, then cure. Then prior to smoking I cut those into thirds again. I cold smoke for 18-24 hours then let the meat rest 5-7 days uncovered in the fridge then I vac pack. I do not slice prior to vac packing as I like to have the option of using the bacon in other ways.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I do pretty much what Case said I cut the belly into thirds. I use Morton's tender quick as my curing agent and follow the directions that Bob Correll has in this forum at the top Bacon Made Easy.
    I have settled in on one recipe a bacon that uses brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon along with the tender quick I make a slurry and apply it when I start the cure and it works out fine. Everybody loves the stuff.
    Not knowing what curing agent you're using my only concern is how the alcohol would interact with the curing agent.
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 03-03-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

I just started my first attempt at bacon, cut the belly into thirds and squared up the edges so they would fit into 1 Gal zip lock bags.
    The maple syrup I bought was aged in bourbon barrels and it wasn't that expensive around $8.00 for a 12 oz bottle.
    I tasted it and it had a slight bourbon taste, not overpowering.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I just started my first attempt at bacon, cut the belly into thirds and squared up the edges so they would fit into 1 Gal zip lock bags.
    The maple syrup I bought was aged in bourbon barrels and it wasn't that expensive around $8.00 for a 12 oz bottle.
    I tasted it and it had a slight bourbon taste, not overpowering.

Tim
    Tim what is the brand name of the syrup you used?
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Tim what is the brand name of the syrup you used?
    I threw the bottle away because the size was perfect for three slabs. I bought it at Jewel and checking inventory this was it: https://www.instacart.com/jewel-osco...el-aged-250-ml
    The price was on clearance, so I grabbed it.
    Edit: checking the price on amazon I got a good deal https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...M6PUHC/tvwb-20

Tim
    Last edited by timothy; 03-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    I love bourbon, on the rocks, and I love bacon, cooked to just short of crisp, but I do not want the two together.
    Along with that, I will never put an egg on top of a perfectly good burger.
    But that's just me.

Well I'll let you-all know how my Bourbon Maple Syrup Bacon comes out in a few days.
    First try, so I can't really compare it to others

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I threw the bottle away because the size was perfect for three slabs. I bought it at Jewel and checking inventory this was it: https://www.instacart.com/jewel-osco...el-aged-250-ml
    The price was on clearance, so I grabbed it.
    Edit: checking the price on amazon I got a good deal https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...M6PUHC/tvwb-20

Tim
    Thanks Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast