Old Genesis ('05) vs. newer Genesis ('11)

That article just solidifies my opinion that the older Silver B's/C's and 1000-5000 Genesis grills are just plain better grills than their replacements.

I agree. While the article emphasizes heating time and BTUs, I think the construction quality is also important. The older Genesis grills do not offer as much “Wow” effect, but their rugged, simpler design is worthy of praise. And, if you choose a 1000 with wood slats you will have a grill with a timeless charm and beauty. Or, go for a Platinum if you really like stainless or one of those early Gold grills with the Summit frame if you want a more “formidable” look. All of these are better grills than the newer ones that replaced them.

Having said that, I would still way rather have a newer Genesis than any other comparably priced alternatives.

My sister and BIL went from an old beat up 1000 to a new (at the time) E3xx in 2011 qith front control. IMO the new one doesn't hold a candle to the old. I have grilled on both so it's not like I am speculating

Pretty interesting, but I think I'd like to see a comparison between the 1000 and the Silver B. My 1000 seems to take a long time to get to temp, but I also have the monster RC Planebuyer hardware. All that steel probably needs more time. My hunch is that the double layer of bars of the 1000 may prevent flareups and provide more even heating but at the expense of flavor and time to heat up. I can't say because I haven't cooked on both, but I've had food on a cheapo charbroil that seemed to have more grill flavor than what my far higher quality grill can produce (This could be in my head). Now clearly the sear on my grill will be better. I'm talking about the flavor of the drippings hitting the bars.

Pretty interesting, but I think I'd like to see a comparison between the 1000 and the Silver B. My 1000 seems to take a long time to get to temp, but I also have the monster RC Planebuyer hardware. All that steel probably needs more time. My hunch is that the double layer of bars of the 1000 may prevent flareups and provide more even heating but at the expense of flavor and time to heat up. I can't say because I haven't cooked on both, but I've had food on a cheapo charbroil that seemed to have more grill flavor than what my far higher quality grill can produce (This could be in my head). Now clearly the sear on my grill will be better. I'm talking about the flavor of the drippings hitting the bars.

Dustin,

I have a 3000 and Platinum C (basically a 1000 and a Silver) and I do notice that the Platinum does get to higher temps a lot faster than the 1000 and it's probably due less flavorizer bars. The flare ups aren't that bad but it is more noticeable on the Platinum than on the 3000. That's why the 3000 is used mostly for my rotisserie cooking (and backup) and the Platinum does most of the grilling.

Of course a 1000 will appear to take longer to heat than a slightly newer style like the C model or B. First look at the distance between the thermometer probe and the heat source. It's like 3x further away in the 1000. Now add in more material to heat up and again it will take a little longer. However that same thing will also make it way more stable. I have never noticed any real difference in flare up control between the newer and older style (double vx single row) Genesis. I have had both and actually in my 2000 I have custom made single row heavy gauge SS flavorizers. If anything with the single row bars installed it's more even.
As for your claim of "grill flavor" I don't have a clue here. Maybe you smelled and tasted more burning grease from the CharBroil and IMO that is NOT good flavor. But, to each their own.

I think it's definitely the grease drippings burning that causes the flavor I'm talking about. Some people can't stand it. It's why people cook directly on steel drums and the like. To me it's a lot stronger on charcoal. The taste on my Genesis is sometimes too clean to my liking.

Dustin,

I have a 3000 and Platinum C (basically a 1000 and a Silver) and I do notice that the Platinum does get to higher temps a lot faster than the 1000 and it's probably due less flavorizer bars. The flare ups aren't that bad but it is more noticeable on the Platinum than on the 3000. That's why the 3000 is used mostly for my rotisserie cooking (and backup) and the Platinum does most of the grilling.

Sam thanks for your comparison, I am doing a Silver C over now wanted the side burner and I was concerned about the flare up as I have a 1000. It sounds like and also taking Larry's comments into consideration that it is not a big deal.

I find the 1000 does a decent sear on ribeyes and lamb chops but quite frankly when doing something like chicken breasts not so much which my wife has commented to me and she eats a lot of those. Would you say that the Silver C does a better job on the sear side also?

Sam thanks for your comparison, I am doing a Silver C over now wanted the side burner and I was concerned about the flare up as I have a 1000. It sounds like and also taking Larry's comments into consideration that it is not a big deal.

I find the 1000 does a decent sear on ribeyes and lamb chops but quite frankly when doing something like chicken breasts not so much which my wife has commented to me and she eats a lot of those. Would you say that the Silver C does a better job on the sear side also?

Brian,

You need GrillGrates;););)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

20a9tft.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's definitely the grease drippings burning that causes the flavor I'm talking about. Some people can't stand it. It's why people cook directly on steel drums and the like. To me it's a lot stronger on charcoal. The taste on my Genesis is sometimes too clean to my liking.

Dustin,

I have a couple suggestions. First, let me say that I love cooking on kettles. Sadly, I virtually never do regular grilling, just BBQ on them, but I do really like the authentic flavor, too. I know Weber was trying really hard with the brilliant "flavorizer" design to create as much of the smokey flavor from burning drippings as possible while at the same time preventing flare-ups. It was a balancing act, but I think they did well, and for many people the "clean" gas taste is actually preferred. Myself, I like more smoke (while my wife has zero tolerance:rolleyes:).

So, anyway here are two ideas:

1) A smoker box or one of the newer "smoke tubes" can really make a big change in how your food tastes. Your neighbors will be more jealous whenever you grill, too! I know some don't feel that these make much impact, but that hasn't been my personal experience. I have never used the smoke tube, but I am really interested in using one with wood pellets.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07FMQ3PS1/tvwb-20

That leads me to the second idea:

2) There are pellets you can buy that have a high charcoal content.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07HX6RSGN/tvwb-20

Again, I don't have personal experience (YET!) but based on what I have read, mixing 1/3 or these with 2/3 of your favorite wood pellets in one of those smoke tubes sounds like an awesome way to make your gas grill produce a much closer taste to a charcoal grill (a smoker box would probably work fine as well).

You may well well have already tried some or all of this, but I toss it out for everyone's consideration.

Last edited:
Jon,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think you might be onto something there. I've tried the wood chip box thing and I can't ever time it right. I bought the crappy Weber one and it warps the hell out of it the first time you use it so even if I soaked the chips they eventually dry out and just burst into flames ( I know I'm probably doing something dumb). I think the smoke tube might be just the trick.

If you want pellets with real charcoal in them, this Char-Hickory is the finest pellet I have ever used.
$15 for a 20 lb bag, and if you check aroud you will likely find local distributors selling for around $10 a bag.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...qwiuNmzA8ovV3U0jQCt56Bizt3cVF8egaAp4TEALw_wcB

I also have the same smoker tube that Jon linked, and it works great.

Dave,

I had noticed those and understand that LumberJack is one of the finest maker of pellets. It's really helpful, though, when you have someone who has actually used something let us know how it goes. I will keep that one on my list!

That Amazon price on the Smoke Daddy is up in smoke, too!

Last edited:
I've had my 1000, now a 2000 for 20 years. I find that it is very good at not staring grease fires The silver B I had not so much, I had to keep an eye on it anytime I was cooking anything with grease drippings. On the other hand my sidewinder E320 has a single row of FBs and we use it a lot and have never had a grease fire using it. The design is very similar to the silver B what Weber changed to eliminate the problem I don't know.
Because I have a couple of WSMs my smoking wood is chunks not chips. If I want to get a light smoke on the gasser I just put a chunk or two on the flavorizer bars that are heated, seems to work really well.

In my Genesis 1000, which I have owned since I refurbished it a couple years ago is subject to grease fires. Of course, I don't clean the inside nearly as often as I should, but I know exactly what causes my grease fires. It is always after I slow cook something like ribs or chicken or brisket. While slow cooking, it allows a lot of the grease to drip off the meat, but it is not hot enough to "burn" it off. It simply collects in the bottom and edges of the fire box and many times, unused burners. Then, when I crank it up for something like grilled steaks or burgers and it gets up to 500-600 degrees is when all that grease combusts. If you always "Grill" at high temps, you are much less likely to see a true grease fire. Sure, you will get flare ups from drippings, but not those types of fires that envelope the entire insides of the grill.

You're right Bruce, most of my cooks on the 1000 are high heat. I always use my charcoal grills or WSMs for low and slow. But high heat chicken thighs I just put some heavy duty tin foil under the chicken and that catches most of the grease.

I did for Christmas back to back meats, the eve Ribeyes and the day Lamb chops this is on the 1000. I had cleaned the tray the week before did the Ribeyes at night probably never noticed before but looked out on the deck and that fat was in flames dropping into the tray. No fire since it was cleaned but maybe I never noticed it before since it was nighttime.

It did teach me one thing I clean that tray out once a month now and trust me we really don't use it all that much, maybe 3 times a month.

Back