Old Genesis ('05) vs. newer Genesis ('11)

I did for Christmas back to back meats, the eve Ribeyes and the day Lamb chops this is on the 1000. I had cleaned the tray the week before did the Ribeyes at night probably never noticed before but looked out on the deck and that fat was in flames dropping into the tray. No fire since it was cleaned but maybe I never noticed it before since it was nighttime.

It did teach me one thing I clean that tray out once a month now and trust me we really don't use it all that much, maybe 3 times a month.

Brian,

Yes, we all need to be careful not to take that drip tray for granted. Keeping it clean - and scraping stuff from the firebox into it first (A small plastic scraper works great for that.) - is key to safely operating our Webers.

It sure is easy to take them for granted. I think I will clean mine out...tomorrow!

All of my flare up fires were due to the neglected build up in the slide out drip pan. When it comes to maintenance, I am the worst. I cleaned out that drip pan back in "05 or so (on a 1992 grill) just because I got a good fire that wouldn't go out.
Last year, it took an act of nature to tell me to clean out the drip pan. I would notice the drip pan pushed forward a bit the every time I used the grill, and once it was pushed damn near all the way out. Must be the wind, I thought.
Nope, there were raccoon footprints on the deck as well as on the side of the house where a raccoon had pushed against the house to push the drip pan from behind for his buddies. That was a good sign to clean the drip pan, for most people, but...

I am way smarter than that.

For me, and most other Einstein types ( You know who you are), the situation called for simply drilling a hole so I could drop a pin in the front of the guide to prevent the raccoons from moving the drip pan. Ha! Take that you raccoons!

Worked for a while.

Drip pan got heavy and was falling away from the bottom of the grill. The drip pan rails were rusting away.

That is what started my restoration work...

Head hung low
Gerry

I hate it when animals screw with me and my "stuff". Living in the country, it is common place. I would have live trapped those bastards and drove them ten miles and across a river to release them.

That's pretty funny! I had my old Coleman gas grill (yeah they made full-size gas grills for a while) on our rear deck when we lived in North Carolina. One night I heard a racket and went out to find a raccoon holding the bowl-shaped drip pan in his furry hands. He reacted by trying to make off with it:eek:. I shouted at him, and he dropped it to make his getaway. Good thing, because it would have been a pain to replace. Yeah, that is when I realized I needed to do better cleaning that drip bowl.

Several years ago, my family and I were camping in a campground with a tent. In the middle of the night I heard some ruckus and opened the door of the tent to see two raccoons up on the picnic table ten feet away with our family size bag of Doritos. They were taking turns pulling them out and eating them one at a time. I had a tactical flashlight right on them and they just stood there and looked at us as if saying "WHAT?". I yelled at them and they just went back to eating. I had to actually get out of the tent and walk towards them before they ran off....At least they left what remained of the bag of Doritos.

As cute as they look I hate it when they rip the trash bags apart and the whole campsite it littered in garbage the next morning. We even had one open the lid of the cooler and get a bag of Snickers out of the cooler. Next night I put a heavy cast iron Dutch oven on the cooler lid. These raccoons are pretty smart.

Several years ago, my family and I were camping in a campground with a tent. In the middle of the night I heard some ruckus and opened the door of the tent to see two raccoons up on the picnic table ten feet away with our family size bag of Doritos. They were taking turns pulling them out and eating them one at a time. I had a tactical flashlight right on them and they just stood there and looked at us as if saying "WHAT?". I yelled at them and they just went back to eating. I had to actually get out of the tent and walk towards them before they ran off....At least they left what remained of the bag of Doritos.

I had a very similar experience at Gulf State Park one year. Difference being one was on the table and the other came out of the cooler with a pack of sliced cheese. Both up a tree to enjoy my cheese!

We had one getting a bag of Snickers out our cooler once. After that night I placed a my box with Dutch ovens on top of the cooler lid.

Back