• (About 2 cups) cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1-2 teaspoons cayenne
  • 1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper
Add additional hot sauce and/or cayenne and/or black pepper to turn up the heat.

(The quick way)
Place all ingredients EXCEPT THE VINEGAR in a clean pint jar.
Add Vinegar almost to top of jar, cap jar and shake until everything is mixed and dissolved. It's slightly stronger this way.

(The Original way)
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, mix thoroughly.
Transfer to squeeze bottle.

Shake before using.

I <3 Vinegar, but are you sure you got the recipe right? Seems very thin, not that I'm opposed to trying it as written.... just seems thin.

And here's where they get you... What kinda hot sauce? So many different varieties .... What's the right one? And that does sound like a lot of vinegar...I do believe there are missing ingredients also.

I <3 Vinegar, but are you sure you got the recipe right? Seems very thin, not that I'm opposed to trying it as written.... just seems thin.

Hi Clint, here's the link to the original recipe on Food Network...
It's meant to be a thin Vinegar sauce, like the ones we got when we went to the old, cinder block take-out places to get "a pound o' meat and sauce".

Last edited:
Food Network is a great source for recipes. Thanks for sharing this one Charles. Being from KC, I've got to try it.

This is the only kind of sauce that belongs on pulled pork.

I don’t even put ketchup in the version I make. Vinegar, salt and hot peppers are all pulled pork needs.

I don’t think it’s thread jacking to post on an old thread. I’ve been making East Carolina sauce for years. This is a Sam Jones recipe that is on FN and in his book. Everyone loves it except the Sweet Baby Ray/Kraft folks.
4FFC0805-111F-47F1-BCA0-A12557315CCD.jpeg0E46EA3F-65FA-4A8D-B912-EFC145A3D3C6.jpeg

Back