smoking cheese with the A-Maze tube

Chris Hosston

TVWBB Member
Howdy. If I'm using the tube in the bottom of my WSM, do I leave all 3 bottom vents open or is it ok to just leave 1 bottom vent completely open? Thanks

I've not yet used my A-Maze-N tray, but my plan is to leave all vents fully open. The WSM generally limits combustion by controlling the amount of oxygen available. The A-Maze-N is designed to limit combustion by reducing the amount of fuel exposed to the heat necessary for combustion. There would seem to be no downside to providing as much air as possible, short of aiming a fan at it.

I need to get one. My coffee can with drilled holes in it is a little too much of a pain. But it works. You have to shake out the ash every now and then.

Thanks for the responses guys. On Friday I did it with all 3 open but it was a windy day and it was just white smoke and not blue. The cheese is SMOKEY and I just did it for 2 hours. I mean Smokey!

I do it in the dead of winter so all vents open equals more cold air which helps keep temps down.
I usually vac seal mine for a week or more in the fridge to let the smoke flavor mellow.
If you try it immediately it can taste like a smoke bomb.
I have the tray also so don't know if that works the same as the tube.

Tim

I keep all the vents open to keep the temperature under 80° F when using my A-Maze-N tray or tube.
You don't want the cheese to start getting oily or start to melt, then it can get a nasty bitter taste.
I 'age' my smoked cheese in a ziplock bag in the fridge for at least 2 weeks, this really helps with the flavor.

I have found my WSM really has a strong smoke smell after cold smoking. The smell goes away the next time the WSM is fired up with charcoal, seems to burn it off.

Thanks for the responses guys. On Friday I did it with all 3 open but it was a windy day and it was just white smoke and not blue. The cheese is SMOKEY and I just did it for 2 hours. I mean Smokey!

:)

slice it thinner. It will mellow a touch over time but not that much.

Let it rest for a few days in the fridge. Cheese & Fish need a couple days rest time

Howdy. If I'm using the tube in the bottom of my WSM, do I leave all 3 bottom vents open or is it ok to just leave 1 bottom vent completely open? Thanks

Chris, I've never used the tube in my bullet but have in my gasser. Did cheese and hard boiled eggs. Both came out great. I've got the 12 inch tube but I stuffed about half with tin foil so as not to over smoke. In the bullet, because the volume is much larger, I think a whole tube would be fine. Good luck.

Back