Chicken Chili Colorado - on the 22" & in the instapot

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I put up a thread in Just Conversation for good insta pot recipes & Rich G posted a link for Chile Colorado - today was the third time I made it :)

I started the 3.7# of chicken thighs on the 22" grill with a little mesquite for smoke, cooked for less-than 20 minutes because I wanted them to cook in the pressure cooker with the enchilada sauce.

26952493_10211224013858070_9057664260150890793_o.jpg

I ran the chicken direct for a while - this isn't the best pic of it, the chicken had some color on it when I took it off.

27164460_10211224014178078_2575877637767145290_o.jpg

Here it is after cooking in the pot - 10 minutes at pressure, 12 minutes at pressure still but off, then I released the steam, removed the chicken, hit the sauce with my new stick blender (the old one tried to stop working mid-batch the first time I made this). I pureed & the forced it through a wire sieve, then added some toasted corn tortillas & blended in batches in a blender.

26952296_10211224014498086_7375899263753955126_o.jpg

I really wasn't sure what to do with this - I mean, do I put it in the sauce, keep it out (the chicken was tender, juicy, delicious at this point). I was also glad that I cooked the whole package of chicken - I thought about only cooking 2/3 of it.

27021334_10211224014858095_2533867235918892268_o.jpg

I doubled the recipe, but only used 6 cups of water (not 8) & it made 8.5 cups of liquid, I think. I saved 4 cups worth like I save my soups in the freezer.

19575366_10211224015258105_9063390352535865529_o.jpg

with a little inspiration from Kemper, but less ingredients (& NO PIE!), I made some tostadas of my own...

27021778_10211224015698116_6169936274902789357_o.jpg

I wanted some heat so I added half a hab to be pressure cooked, and the other half when I started blending. It seemed about right, but next time I'll try 2 habs. Next thing I need to do is make up some Mexican rice & maybe turn this into enchiladas. *IF* I make enchiladas, I think I'll strain the chicken/sauce gently with a large colander, then see if there's enough sauce to work for enchiladas. I'll post them up if I do.

Last edited:
Being in East Contra Costa County, where numerous good Mexican restaurants are abound, Chili Colorado is one of my go to when ordering. While the chicken gives it a new aspect, one thing for sure, yours looks amazing. Count me in!

What's your favorite look? I was impressed with a plate ~10 years ago, but I've been let down with the quality & quantity each time I've ordered it after that.

A:
img_1419.jpg

B:
image.jpg

C: (this looks like Chili, the soup/stew, especially with the potato)
Chili-Colorado-with-Potatoes1.jpg

D:
chileColorado.png

E:
20130916113721908178.jpg

Seems like all the pics are the same other than C :) if I had to pick I'd go with D or E

I made it with cubed chuck roast & the meat/tacos were great, but I made enchilada soup with the leftovers & my brother (made it at his house) is on a low carb diet so I couldn't add corn chips to thicken it - it seemed a little thin, and a little greasy. I'll do it with chuck roast again but will modify a few things (pull the sauce earlier, put the chuck back in, and maybe cut the chuck roast into smaller cubes at the start).

Seems this isn't very far from Texas Chili (NO BEANS) - I've always liked my chili with beans but maybe I'll try a TX style chili.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/texas-chili-3232222

Very nice, Clint! That recipe is a keeper for sure! I'm guessing it's even better with pork or beef. Glad you're liking it!

R

Clint, you sent that over the top. That chili Colorado plate of food is outstanding.

Clint;
You guys are going to be the death of me, yet! As a result of watching this (along with the links), watching

https://Hippressurecooking.com and etc.

I decided during the Black Friday madness, to get an Instant Pot. My wife is a trained cook (was a Home Ec. teacher at the college level when I met her) and is old school (stove top pressure cooker). She is still quite leery of the Instant Pot (she uses a flip phone and is not computer happy). At any rate, I have "dragged her kicking and screaming" to the instant pot.

There are entirely too many choices but after considerable deliberation, I picked (right or wrong) the Instant Pot Ultra 6 qt. Our kids are grown and live all over the country, so we only get them in the house together, rarely. We are just two, a lot of our friends are gone, and it probably makes little sense. However, all of that said, I picked up the Ultra, today.

I will make a test run in the next day or so, then I'll start with something easy. However, I do have a hankering to try pulled pork, a rack of ribs, and I definitely will be adding "Butter Chicken" from the Butter Chicken Lady. I am seriously looking at short ribs, also.

A couple of days ago we had an ice storm (thousands in the area without power), I was left with an electrical problem (mine turned out to be those "Dern Tree Rats" knawing up my house power drop from the transformer. The City reacted in minutes, the job was finished in a couple of hours, but I had to take down my patio cover (just a quick set cover) but it looks like I am in winter mode. THAT is the motivation for my purchasing an Instant Pot.

I am NOT moving away from my grills and smokers, NO WAY! Yes, I have been known to shovel the snow to get to my grill...:rolleyes:, but I will be trying some normally grilled and smoked stuff with the "pot" when the weather is bad. Just to REALLY see, of course:rolleyes:,,,

I am aware this is an old thread, but it is a GOOD one!

I'll report my "pot progress" when applicable...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back