Brisket price???

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
How much should i expect to pay per pound for a brisket? I am in Wisconsin if that matters.

Judging by your avatar I'm guessing the western part of the state.;)

Where do you shop and what chains are in your area? My local Piggly Wiggly and IGA stores will sometimes have brisket on sale for around $3/lb but usually it's at least $4/lb and higher. Have you checked out any independent processors or meat markets?

Brad: I am actually just south of the very center of the state. But, I grew up in Winona, MN. Its a good time to be a Vikings fan. :)

I read an article that mentioned the price of the briskets being "low" at $1 per pound being a good price. I wonder if maybe the article was 20 years old??? I seemed to remember more but since I hadn't really been interested at the time, I didn't pay it too much attention. But, the lower price caught my interest and now I feel like I need to put one on my rotisserie.

Oh, and I typically shop for groceries at the local Walmart or Aldis, but I have Festival Foods and some other regional supermarkets in the area. There is also a meat market in the area I have been interested in checking out.

Last edited:
Hot Fish Shop!;)

I like Festival for some things but have found the beef prices there to be a bit on the high side, so I'm thinking it's not too likely you'll get a deal on brisket. Unfortunately a lot of major supermarkets these days no longer have cutters in the meat department, but if you can find a store that still does you might be able to get a special order at a decent price.

Thanks everyone. I will have to start really paying attention and shop around for a good deal on a Brisket. I may have to stop into that local meat market...you never know.

Just checked my local Walmart. $2.96/lb.

Does this look like a decent brisket or is that too much fat?

QV4hn80.jpg

Last edited:
Looks real good to me, Bruce. Appears to be a choice grade. I would buy it. All packers need a fair amount of trimming. Save the fat for the birds or mix it in with some lean beef and grind your own homemade burger.

Thanks, now I have a baseline. THey have briskets all the time at the walmart, so I don't think it is a rush. I have ribs planned for tomorrow, so it will be a while before I get to a brisket. But there is one on the horizon.

THanks,

I just checked this morning...Corned Beef Brisket is still $5.99/lb. It'll be 99 cents/lb the day after St. Paddy's Day. I haven't seen a packer brisket in months.

So, basically wait until after St Patricks day and grab a couple +???? What is the difference between a Corned Beef Brisket and a Packer brisket? Is it just added seasonings? Do you think the packer briskets will be reduced after St Patricks day as well?

The corned beef you get in the store has been wet-cured and is very different than a plain brisket. Still, having a couple in the freezer is never a bad idea, as they cook up great in the smoker, on the grill, on the stovetop, in the oven, and in the slow cooker.

Corned beef is cured, a packer is just removed from the beast and packed.
Corned beeves can be flats or points usually for the Feast of St. Patrick grocery stores will be double stacked with the “pre corned” variety. They are just fine but, throw the silly little package of “seasoning” away, it’s floor sweeping rubbish and use fresh goods to season.
If you want a real taste treat, do it all yourself! My sister in law did a feast at our parish for almost twenty years Corning the briskets from the “Cooks Illustrated” method, typically we did three full packers two large cauldrons on the Friday before, about seven hours cooking following the week of rubbing and turning. Feast for 60 with all the sides, “Black and Tans” Brussels sprouts, cabbage, baby potatoes, carrots, the whole shooting match! It was a great feast, the prep team on the afternoon before enjoyed hearty glasses of Scotch and laughter while setting the undercroft up for the celebration.
Sadly, We were exhausted after that many years with maybe two people helping so, we said we would be very willing to show how we did it and not one soul stepped up and it’s not being done anymore!
Bruce, PM me and I will shoot the recipe to you, it’s WELL worth the effort! I’ll be doing one again for the family this year.
I don’t use any pink salt so, it does not have the reddish hue but, the flavor is heavenly!

Brad is right, if you ve got the freezer space, get packers when they are “reasonable” and keep one or two around. I just used the last one I had on New Years Day and have not re stocked yet!

Last edited:
Tim, that sounds great as long as I can cook them on my gas brill. I have gotten so I don't want to cook anything any more if it doesn't involve my grills. Too bad your Brisket lunch didn't get enough support to become a yearly tradition that sustains itself.

You can as long as you can get the simmer to be nice and easy. If it just boils like mad, they seem to get tough.
We did it for 20 years and it was always well received but, no one wanted to take over when we retired from the ten days of prep, cook and cleanup.
I was bringing a Jeep load of dirty dishes home to wash most of the time. It was fun for a long time but, it was time for new blood to do something for the church. After we hung it up, they decided fried chicken from the factory was just great! Kind of breaks my heart.

OK, so you actually "boil" the brisket? That is probably something I wouldnt want to do on a grill. I know I made some corned beef a few years ago. I used a recipe that I found on line. I thought the meat was good, but not great. I think we did it in a slow cooker. I am going to look for ways to do my brisket on the grill itself. Probably rotisserie or indirect cooking.

Corned beef is kind of, by definition, a “Boiled dinner” so, yes you simmer the CORNED beef, read up on “Corning”.
Indirect or rotisserie cookery will render a fine product with care but, corned beef, it will not be. It will be a roast brisket of some stripe. Plenty of ways to cook a brisket are all over this site but, corned beef is not really the same thing.
Think about the concept a little, it makes perfect sense, the poor needed a fire to keep the home warm, the side benefit was the ability to put a pot by the edge so it would simmer unattended for the day while Work was being done.
Corning is not the actual method of simmering but preparing to slow braise.
It’s a perfect crockpot dinner! Set it up early, let it go all day. I take it out, rest it overnight in the fridge and slice cold, then gently warm with some of the braising liquid in the oven while I do the rest of the dinner.
Have you never had a “New England boiled dinner?” Not exactly my favorite example but, it’s a one pot dinner. For the big feed we did the beef the day before, pulled it when it was probe tender put the pieces in pans chilled overnight and sliced while we boiled the braising liquid and cooked the vegetables in the appropriate order, longest cooking going in first.
We for the last three years, we had a sister parish loan us the use of a slicer and my elbow was much happier for it! Slice, take a ladle or two of pot liquid and slip the hotel pans in the oven. Serve the masses and have a nice glass of Old Bushmills!

Last edited:

Back