Wazita's Carnitas

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Wazita's Carnitas.... I don't know anyone named Wazita (& if I did, I wouldn't admit it).
& these aren't the real carnitas - where chunks of pork shoulder are cooked in lard.
But they do fit the definition:

car·ni·tas .kärˈnēdəs.
noun
(in Mexican cooking) braised or roasted pork served shredded in small pieces, often as a filling in tacos, burritos, etc.

It was 113, 112, 110 & 110 the last few days. We don't have AC so I'm cooking outside as much as possible.
Wanted to make something EZ that complemented the ambient temps.

Chopped a small onion & 3 chipotles.

w8YkwDh.jpg

Had about 2 pounds of pork butt left over from from a previous cook - usually use 5-7 pounds.
Topped the roast with 3 - 4 tbs of adobo sauce from the can, added the chilis, onions & salsa verde.

IhYOxI9.jpg

Covered with foil & into the Performer to braise at 350* with the lid on until the meat falls apart - 3 1/2 hours or so.

rWEXYzQ.jpg

Removed from cooker.

RAKXg4G.jpg

Shredded in juices and put under high heat broil in the oven.

XlOZUgG.jpg

Let them get toasty.

6k7CcrT.jpg

Turned everything over.

AO2EJNQ.jpg

Repeated until things got to my liking.

AyqRSnO.jpg

Time To Eat!

90gMFwq.jpg

One of my wife's favorites. Enough left over for an EZ taco dinner tonight.

Last edited:
That high heat broil in the kitchen must have done wonders for your already warm house. Bet it was worth it though. Delicious looking meal on these hot days. Another nice job Robert.

That high heat broil in the kitchen must have done wonders for your already warm house. Bet it was worth it though. Delicious looking meal on these hot days. Another nice job Robert.

Haha... I can't figure a work-around for that with the outside cookers. Wasn't that bad, though. It only took a few minutes. & thanks!

Man that looks dang good to me Robert. We've been making a lot of different type tacos and I pretty much have you to blame. And I thank you :)

Wow, No a/c and temps like that, that's a tuff way to go. Great cook for sure under those conditions, looks super good.

Back