First Try At Huli Huli Chicken

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I've been wanting to try doing Huli Huli chicken for some time and decided today was the day. It came out pretty good with good flavor though I think going forward I'll marinate it longer. It only marinated for about 5 hours. I may even try injecting. It got a bit darker than I would of liked. I guess 1 to many Huli's.

Looks good. I'd gobble that up.

All that soy and sugar makes for easy scorching. Gotta be careful. We lived in Hawaii when I was a kid in the early/mid 70's and Dad became obsessed with Huli Huli. He perfected a recipe over our years there, but started going indirect or very low heat with it in the last 10 years or so. Makes a big difference and a slightly easier cook. He marinates his overnight, BTW.

Oh, and Huli Huli works great on pork too.

Man that looks good, JR! Nice work! I would agree with Jim, more indirect cooking, with a final sear (being very watchful!)

R

Thank for the input Jim. Guess I'll just have to do some more. Strictly for research purposes of course.

That looks terrific, Barb and I make that quite often and like Jim said lower temps and indirect then a quick sear for some color. I marinate mine at least 8 hours but no more than 10 or it starts to get mushy. Try in on a pork steak. really good with that too.

Thanks Rich. Yeah I do think I got the temp to high. Luckily it didn't really taste burnt so it was more of an aesthetic issue. I'm going to try lowering the temp by around 50 degrees then finish of direct for the color/char I want. Thanks for the input on the marinating time.

Will have to try that. I'm sure it tasted good. Wifey likes chicken carbonato. Me... not so much.

Back