Paging Bob Correll - camera question

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Camera question for Bob or anyone other shutter bugs. Costco has the Nikon Coolpix A900 for $400

https://www.costco.com/.product.100315798.html?&EMID=B2C_2017_0217_1224_MattressEvent

Seems like a pretty nice camera for the price, it's WiFi. Just wondering your thoughts or suggestions

Specifications:

Sensor: CMOS 1/2.3 in.
Pixels: 20.0 million
Resolution: 16M (High) [4608 x 3456 ]
LCD Screen: 3.0 Tilt LCD
Lens: 35x optical Zoom-NIKKOR lens
Shutter Speed: 1/2000 –1 s, 1/2000–8s (when ISO sensitivity is fixed at ISO 80, 100, or 200 in P, S, A, and M mode), 1/4000 (Maximum speed during high-speed continuous shooting),
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 80-1600 ISO 3200 (available when using P, S, A or M mode)
Images Per Battery Charge: Approx. 300 shots when using EN-EL12
Media Storage: SD / SDHC / SDXC
Dimensions: 4.5 in.(113 mm) x 2.7 in. (66.5 mm) x 1.6 in.(39.9 mm) excluding projections
Weight: 10.2 oz. (298 g) with battery and memory card

Sorry Chuck, can't help you with this one since I'm a Pentax DSLR guy.
Reviews, as usual, are mixed about it on Amazon.
One thing about Costco is their excellent return policy.

That's the same price as buying direct form Nikon, but you get the case and memory card as a bonus. Amazon is a little cheaper, if you want to get those items on your own.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-a900.html

Reviews on the Nikon site are good, but there are only 5. What's nice about this is it is compact, like a point and shoot, but you can go full manual if you want.

Like Bob said, the Costco return policy is good. Might be worth a try.

Without looking at it in detail

A) what I do like

1)small footprint (a given though with a P&S)
2)wi-fi
3)great optical zoom (problematic though if you have "shaky" hands--consider a tripod if you're thinking you can get decent long-range shots)

B)what I personally don't like:

1)no viewfinder--don't like having to hold it a foot from my eye
2)no hot shoe--get ready for eliminating a lot of red eyes (built-in flash is too close to the lens--most (all?) P&S have this issue)

Have a look here for a comparison between the coolpix and a canon competitor. They list a few things that one is good for/the other is good for depending on what you want to use it for. I believe if you're going to spend that kind of money (yes, less than a DSLR but still a lot of cash), you need to know a bit about what you want to do with it (and no, not "I just want to take pictures"--there are cheaper options than this).

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-Coolpix-A900-vs-Canon-PowerShot-SX720-HS

Last edited:
If you want the hot shoe / a more "advanced" Point-and-shoot with good optical zoom and a lot of features that you can "grow-into" (or ignore if you so choose) -
I can personally vouch for the Canon G-Series (was a G9 Owner) They are usually a bit on the "big" size, but they are sturdy and fit the hands well.

Have since upgraded to Fujifilm X-Series after doing A LOT of research, but it's still kinda' difficult because I seem to live in Canikon/Sony World - where that's all that I can get my grubby paws on in a store...

I have a barely used Cannon G12 ill sell for $200.00, if anybody is interested.

B)what I personally don't like: 1)no viewfinder--don't like having to hold it a foot from my eye 2)no hot shoe--get ready for eliminating a lot of red eyes (built-in flash is too close to the lens--most (all?) P&S have this issue)
Agreed, the absence of the viewfinder is a deal killer

Thanks everyone! Jeff, I may PM you once I google your camera

Maybe consider an entry level DSLR like the Canon T6 https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01CO2JPYS/tvwb-20 It'll be a jump from a P&S but it's one I would consider if I were in the market such as you indicated.

AND it's expandable vis a vis lens systems which can be a big plus (no lens additions for P&S; what you get with the camera is all that's available).

Last edited:
I agree, I think a DSLR is the way to go. They seem to start at $1K for decent cameras. I still gotta check out Jeff's G12

You're really getting into entry-level semi-pro models at a grand. Nothing wrong with that but they have a lot more bells and whistles than what a beginner needs. You can always upgrade later.

I've got a $300 (new about 5 yr ago--new old stock currently sells for $500 on amazon--go figure) P&S that I still don't use (or found a need for) all the buttons and functions it has.

One thing to keep in mind: once you decide on a brand, the lens are not interchangeable with other brands. Think long term before you buy. See what lens are available and what reviewers AND regular users say about them before deciding on a brand.

It can get real expensive real fast.

But then, you already knew that didn't you ;)

Last edited:
I started out looking at Olympus Pens. Like the idea of being able to swap lenses for different situations. Size wasn't a concern. Ended up blowing the budget with a Canon 60d.

A DSLR isn't that bad once you get the hang of Aperture (amount of light), Shutter Speed, and ISO (sensor sensitivity) and how they affect the picture.

Understanding Exposure, and Creative Shutter Speed are the two books that helped me out.

I consider that there are mainly 3 grades of cameras.
Point & shoot, easy to use, not too costly, and improvements to them has been great.
Compact cameras, more control, usually have larger sensors, and can run in price from reasonable to expensive.
DSLRs, lots of control, some cost no more than good compacts, but the lenses, good ones, is where the real cost becomes a factor.

I would only recommend a DSLR if you want to take photography seriously, as a hobby.
Sure you can set it on auto and get great shots, but that kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

If you're use to using a cell phone, then one without a viewfinder probably wouldn't be a big deal.
In my opinion, if you're just looking to take snaps of family, food, etc (oh, and of your "girls") then a good P&S probably would suit your needs.

edit, here's a pic with my Pentax MX-1 (no longer being made) mirrorless, no VF compact, meant only to show how far small cameras have come.
I use it a lot for cook pics, like my dog dish wings post.
First natural, second one a heavy crop of the first.

204MvDJN2Fw_a6t_uO9Rsvlx_GRYwUx6w2ivhSbd0IDzJPNjU3N57x7ypmHukY0EiGpMG28WT_S0_KmqS7HxAzOXObQ6diZHXYKzfYfp_s2uDyh8bRM5A2rmGrRt3zlN2rScNQxwNKHG8AEsQ080LH4tDZ4E1pMqKpQNEd8Yd_olSQ5jMT4M7Cc4M-qsUs5HljElXtwVQPcM8Xe_FadyVTL5IM7hpWwlQ8BjX98yqbe3rq4BISwulF_VzD3b8T0jEvM02tcoS0Ccf14uVAYnvldnazfSH_v0qTD0EmFBtj8GgvumEx896BdnMrfWySLW3IOAKG7boPprTRM-Pj2m_J2Od3xKpAEBs2BTCsA-FtgGAeyHNmxUQGBuYkwD6E6i1kheLouxQVkIbqf9C6PRSRW1_TdMWN6gO8oRy1kodXVBJlCKKJjaZI5KWIB-LTphuUYMTedjRCuFO039y-nW_GNNdCi-J8uVPg4aB3t6m-RZ_CvVu7PlyCzCTbgt4PzS_0Gn8EzECd6x7HwtbiajadRFi2m3Uq7zMbwTTaPQJMCSvOFoLlbyGvAhPOfn_qw_en1WHv-l-9Mn18_10B5Bjy3JiiApA14ZjF5ncwZVx3vivBsLE86M=w897-h673-no

3gy3FNSpHvLB_bLLWqbIaVFB6tdspNXUYkSbV-Fr70jDZ6Sx5_bGsfr1a2IOjErUFeYL7CEUFAkp5YEQoaWkDYHou9ugexAU0ENL4AyejNHeT8BEcV7KM5gcCSCiMypn9igF80akyW1IN3Qj2T3f9Agweqpp4RdcTZpGmwsAXxHm1Gi1VaFjvUvvzfYHQzxBFZVCg0emss0uzQZ0J3BL2As5x05Fy9_1wIeYuxpK-oqukMiSmQHs1gsCXH5MbtIBSYDY0VrSavsLBzhGOe9cqgLkTQ_P-3EqJ3mtIU1dzG9XR9iL-oYspBAhzbUoWSeTwlhlhG3v_ibLLj2SojiRKk4LpOli1gbY1bBNfu5v4WYmULCR6NUd6j1Zlo3ynoonGdUBQ7Lb90kqc7nk3X-Tk9zg7jrxNKQSgfZXN1pG3HE9nb7wWbUCinqeny4IeTRHJtFusJFCeT5e4E3Dsi3QGGBl7qsuajF5Wb4FYEhObFQbZAag6mMAx3DED6wwqmmrb6DBAGq0h3igLo8jYvb1W6a1Vr4WcoB4zVVP6fYrwdu-lunvouGi6Qfxuvm3UvIbgj3gUNRDxHB2N2ior95vs_IvRkQ_qDcH0AXW2cHIzZI6uuVyUfK6=w667-h672-no

Last edited:
In my opinion, if you're just looking to take snaps of family, food, etc (oh, and of your "girls") then a good P&S probably would suit your needs.
Bob, that's what I was getting at with my last couple of posts (coming to the same conclusion but from a different angle ;) but not coming right out and saying it ). It's an expensive piece of gear for "food snaps" .

I think a problem arises when you're doing your due diligence and you read about a certain kit and then compare it to another because it can't do something and then another that can but can't do something else and you start thinking that you really should get a better unit and suddenly, you're up to a DSLR for a grand when in fact a $3-400 P&S is perfect.

Hence my suggestion for the T6 (other makes have differenct advantages/disadvantages). Just a 'fer instance. And it's in his price range (basically, the same price for all intents and purposes).

Slippery slope indeed. You won't necessarily go wrong getting a $1000 unit but you will go wrong if you only want it, not need it.

impressive pics Bob - what's the new model of that camera?

Chuck, I like the articulating lcd viewfinders if you can find them. I've had 2 cameras with them, the canon a95 & a640 (still have the a640).

like this:

6197OiIZC3L._SL1000_.jpg

Back