Do you use a different sauce for Brisket vs Pork Shoulder?

John_H

TVWBB Member
I'm thinking about doing a Brisket this weekend and was thinking about the sauce. I have a sauce for pulled pork I make (which has a fair amount of mustard) but I'm thinking it might not pair as well with the beef. Does anyone have a favorite bbq sauce they use with brisket? (links to the recipes would be appreciated!!) I'm new to Brisket but going to give it a try. Thanks in advance.

John, look no further than No. 5 Sauce. Goes great with brisket, especially if you mix in some of the drippings from the cook.... :)

Rich

Brisket Au Jus makes for a great pool for those brisket slices to briefly slip into ......

For me, I don't use sauces on my brisket or pulled pork. If I am making a PP sandwich, I just put the PP on a roll with a Carolina Red Sauce and coleslaw. For brisket, it is great all by itself. Why ruin the great taste of the beef or the pork? Just my 2 cents worth.

I like mustard and pork. That's a classic. I don't know about for beef. I would go with something more tangy and tomato based. I do agree with the comments that good bbq doesn't need it., but I like it available to complement the meat.

My opinion is that pork needs a vinegar based sauce. East Carolina style.
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™) to taste
1 teaspoon salt

Or South Carolina
3⁄4 cup yellow mustard
3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™) to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

A shot or two of rum in either of the above sauces would be historically accurate and pretty damn good too.

In Texas, where brisket is king - they use more of a tomato / pepper sauce:
16 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup beer
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbs brown sugar
1/2 fresh onion - pureed
6 fresh garlic cloves
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1+ tbs coarse black pepper
1 tbs paprika
1 tsp Tobasco sauce
1 tsp chili powder