Minion method question

Jim Mann

I have used the Minion method today in cooking two Boston Butts. I bought two Weber books, and both mention the opportunity for off putting flavors to be introduced to your meat by fresh charcoal being ignited. Both recommended that I let the charcoal fully ignite with a white ash covering. Yet, they also recommend using the Minion method, which has fresh charcoal being ignited while sitting under fresh meat. So, does the freshly igniting charcoal impart a nasty flavor to meat or not? Jim

Not in my experience. Only time I get the "white ash" is when I'm prepping the starter coals in the chimney. Everything else "goes with the flow".

Not that I noticed. I had the same question and there were a couple things that made it easy to accept. First, competitors use this method. I think Jim Minion was competing when he first used it (if I recall the story correctly) and Harry Soo uses the Minion method. Second, what is in the middle of a briquette if not fresh charcoal waiting to be ignited. I think any "off" flavors come from the smoke early on when the fire is not very hot. I don't notice any issues, but there are those that use minion and wait a little while to put the meat on. I don't wait, but it makes sense.

No off-taste here Jim.
My theory is that the unlit fuel is not in contact with any direct flames, therefore doesn't ignite giving off fumes.
The unlit is slowly heated up by the lit briqs before igniting.
I personally do not wait to put the meat on. As soon as the ashed over briqs are dumped I assemble everything & bring it all up to temp with minimal fuss.
I don't want to go chasing temps for second time after having removed the lid to put the meat on. Not the right way or the wrong way, just my way....(cue Frank S.). :)

I also have not noticed any off flavors using the minion method. When I start my coals in the chimney I don't wait till they're full ashes over. Once I see some flame starting to lick at the top coals as well as seeing a difference in the density of the smoke I dump them at that point.

Depends if you notice it or not, some do and some don't and the books are just giving you the worst case scenario.:)

Tim

I too really questioned using the Minon Method. Didn't sound good to me either as I had always lived by the rule of fully igniting the coals before putting the meat on. Now, having said that, I have used the Minon method several times now and let me tell you, on long cooks it is absolutely the way to go. I have not noticed any foul taste.

Back