Fun with yellow jackets?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Never seen a yellow jacket nest anywhere except in the ground.
But I sure think that's what we have nesting in a cushion on the front porch.
Planning my next move, maybe some long range wasp and hornet spray.
Go full screen to see the little buggers better.

Last edited:
spray won't help. By the time you see them, there are +10x as many you don't see.

IMO, best soak it in that old can of bbq fluid you never use and burn it. If it's one thing I hate more than carpenter ants, its yellow jackets. Bald faced hornets are another. Had 'em, hate 'em.
Bald-Face-Hornet-1.jpg

Last edited:
Me , I would drag that cushion to a wide open area , douse it with some of that charcoal lighter fluid we all have hanging around and give them bugs a Viking funeral! Don't get stung!!
:cool:wow ,Len, great minds think alike , I guess.

Me , I would drag that cushion to a wide open area , douse it with some of that charcoal lighter fluid we all have hanging around and give them bugs a Viking funeral! Don't get stung!!
:cool:wow ,Len, great minds think alike , I guess.

Must be an echo in here :) roflmao.

Back in my surveying days I got stung by about everything capable of doing so.
Got nailed in the back of the head once by a hornet, it took me to my knees.
Looked up and my survey rod was inches from their paper nest.
Can't count the times I've been stung by yellow jackets.
Looks like the queen at the top of the nest.

IMGP3101.JPG

Don't use gasoline though. I made that mistake once (no dire consequences luckily). Had a small pile of brush I didn't feel like bundling so poured some gas on it. It was only about a minute after that I tossed a match on it. WOOOOOSH!!!! The gas fumes had spread into a 10' diameter circle around the pile and it caught faster than the brush did.

First and last time I used gas for something like that.

Buddy of mine was at a picnic eating a doughnut, felt the sting in his mouth from a yellow jacket.
He got even, chewed it up and ate it along with his doughnut.

Kind of got the same problem, we have a orange mini bell pepper plant in a pot on the front patio. For some reason the yellow jackets love hanging around it.

Gentleman, you have not experienced life until you have had yellowjackets inside your underwear, or in your beer.
Neither is anywhere even close to a fun time. Been through both. If they are in the ground some diesel poured into
the nest at night works. Then seal the opening. For Bobs cushion bring on the Gulflite!

Bob, I've spit them out of my beer before, never stung doing so, yet.
Underwear? No, hell no!

I hit 'em with some wasp spray, last check only saw two staggering around like drunks.
No bodies lying about, so I'm still not 100% sure they're jackets since I'm keeping my distance.

Back