New Guy w/ Question

HJustin

Hello!

Long, long time lurker. Was looking at purchasing a new Spirit this coming weekend when I found out a friend has a Genesis that's in excellent condition that they want to sell. It's an espresso E310 they purchased at Lowes on Memorial Day in 2012. They're asking $400 and that includes a cover. So for the same price as a new 2-burner Spirit, I could have a nice 3-burner Genesis. $400 is all I have budgeted for this purchase.

I do know the warranty will not transfer to me and my question is, should I be concerned about that? I don't know if my friend registered it when they bought and was told by Weber customer service that I might be able to register it if they had not.

Is this a good buy? Or should I just stick with a new Spirit?

Thank you!

GvnTkBM.jpg

Much rather have genesis than a spirit from what I understood genesis is made stronger .. You're talking half price already and I bet you could get it for 300 if you say " we'll I can go buy a new spirit for 400 so I'm not going to spend that on a used grill" as bass acwards as that may sound it will probably work

Your friend has paid most of the depreciation on the Genny so for $400 you're getting IMHO a better quality 3 burner vs. 2 burner.

Most grill owners don't register which means if you do, the warranty goes to you (I think) - at least what ever is left. Having said that on such a well kept grill I doubt you'll be needing any parts for many years to come.

If the body has no rust or damage, check the burner tubes, flavour bars and grates, if they all check out I say take it.

Last edited:
I bought an E320 off of CL about a month or so ago and absolutely love it. $400 is about half price for a two year old grill and a great deal. Check the bottom for rust that’s where they seem to be the most venerable. If you do get it make sure if you have it parked on a cement slab to buy a mat to sit it on as the moisture vapors coming off the cement is pretty caustic and will start to attack the metal on the bottom. This wasn’t much of a problem on the earlier Genesis grills because there wasn’t any metal close to the bottom and they weren't enclosed like the newer ones.
Plus the three burner is so much more versatile then a two burner.

Thank you all for replying.

Found out today that the current owner did register it with Weber so I would have no warranty. Also a tiny bit of corrosion on the grates. Will have to look at it to see if there is rust elsewhere on the grill.

Am I better off with a grill with front controls rather than the on the side? Doesn't that affect burner placement?

Thank you all for replying.

Found out today that the current owner did register it with Weber so I would have no warranty. Also a tiny bit of corrosion on the grates. Will have to look at it to see if there is rust elsewhere on the grill.

Am I better off with a grill with front controls rather than the on the side? Doesn't that affect burner placement?

Yes the side control grills have east/west or right to left burners and the front control have north/south or front to back burners both work equally well, some of us like the e/w a little better for rotisserie cooking.
But you do gain shelf space with the front burners.

With the side controls, you get heat on the left and the right, that said you can also have heat only on the left or right. That's very handy for doing indirect cooking

Overall on the size and design of a Genesis the real TRUE advantage of your friend's is if you want to rotisserie cook. Otherwise other than shelf space there is really no advantage to front controls. It was either Weber simply reducing production cost or bowing to people who could not figure out what to do with their tools. All things being equal and having used the Genesis in new design and also owning a Summit 4 burner IMO the better of the two is old style. YMMV

The rust on the grates is pretty much meaningless. If they are cast iron, then you can easily re-season them. If they are porcelain coated steel, then they don't last forever and will need to be replaced one day down the road anyway.
It appears from the picture that the grill was very well kept, but as stated earlier check for rust inside the cabinet, usually on the bottom left side.

I have this style of grill thst is older by a couple of years and warrinty is not a issue I have had one igintor replaced.
Oh and a cover and mine sits out in summer and winter.
Very even heat east west burners eork great for a rottie.
Get it.

Went and looked at it tonight. Will be picking it up tomorrow. It's in really good shape. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. Can't wait to cook on this thing!

Go for it. If his your close friend help him out. Who knows maybe he will buy you food so you can grill to prove it works properly.

That is a solid, reasonable deal. I would get it registered as the original owner if you can it might make a difference down the road but still good deal.

Side burners are never used on anyone I knows grill anyways so dont let that stop you
I use the side burner all the time and wouldn't want to be without one now. I also prefer the burners to be N/S as opposed to E/W direction.

That said, if my choice was between a new Summit grill or the Genius shown, I'd go with the Genesis.

I wouldn't sweat the warranty. There have been plenty of people who have call Weber about issues with grills they bought second hand and Weber has taken care of them. Even if they don't, most of the things that could go wrong are things that can be replaced fairly easy and cheaply.

To me, that is one of the best things about a Weber compared to other brands, finding replacement parts.

You are right on about the warranty great to have but worst case scenario is you have to buy the part and if the grill is at least covered and well maintained you are not going to need the warranty coverage.

I use the side burner all the time and wouldn't want to be without one now. I also prefer the burners to be N/S as opposed to E/W direction.

That said, if my choice was between a new Summit grill or the Genius shown, I'd go with the Genesis.

I wouldn't sweat the warranty. There have been plenty of people who have call Weber about issues with grills they bought second hand and Weber has taken care of them. Even if they don't, most of the things that could go wrong are things that can be replaced fairly easy and cheaply.

To me, that is one of the best things about a Weber compared to other brands, finding replacement parts.

Just got her home and on the back deck. Came with a cover, a pack of foil drip pan liners, and all the documentation. Need to look into giving it a good cleaning and will start cooking on it tomorrow. Can't wait!

...also need to figure out which grates this thing has in it.

Last edited:

Back