How is the best way to light a grill and smoker after dark? Part II

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
Back in August I asked for suggestions as to how to light the grills and smokers to use after dark. There were several suggestions made. I thought that maybe there would be some interest in my "Final Solution". The led lights on my ball cap's bill turned out to be no more than a help light - not really good enough for serious use. However, at my local Lowe's Home Improvement I found a REAL answer. It is simply a work light on a tripod:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_458095-4929...ht&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=work+light&facetInfo=

The price is quite reasonable and it has five hundred watts of power - this is plenty. However, if you belong to the "bigger is better" group, for $10.00 more (over the basic $24.98) they have a dual head 1000 watts of power (this one ought to be hot enough to grill on all by itself:rolleyes:).

Here is the light in use (photo taken only by light from worklight):

As you can see, there is PLENTY of light to judge doneness - in this case, it's "Salmon on a plank":

After these pictures were taken, I raised the light (on it's tripod) for better overall light. One of the things I particularly like about this lamp is you can easily move it around on the patio for better light on the grill, or just move it over for better light on the smoker. Take it from me, this outfit REALLY works!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Yeah, those lights are great unless you're indoors, then they are so hot you can't even work around them. I have one and love the light that it gives off, but not the heat. I've been looking at a LED version, but the reviews are not promising. The one thing I would be careful about in an outdoor environment is water/rain. Those things are so hot, I bet they would crack or worse if water hit the lens.

About 10 years ago, I got my husband a "headlamp" that used batteries (not too many and not the big ones, two AAs, I think) to help him at night when grilling, but it also helped when he was smoking late as well. He loves "toys" and was tickled pink with the darn thing. It worked well, too, and made his life a lot easier (the grill and smoker are maybe 12 feet from the deck, where there's light).

One night, I put it on my head inside the house and he got hystercial, saying, "You look like such an a$$ with that thing on!" Of course, I replied, "I guess you've never looked in the mirror when you're wearing it, huh?" His face changed and then I got hysterical!

It was a new gadget back then but now, even L.L. Bean sells one (free shipping, guys, and wonderful guarantees). It's a nice gift to get for grilling/smoking family or friends. I think Bean's is about $25. If you're a "prepared shopper," you could also purchase it now for a griller/smoker to have when their birthday comes up...

Merry Christmas to all of you. I've enjoyed (and AM enjoying) my time here even though lurking is what I do most.

oh duh...why didnt i think of that...off to lowes i go...i always thought it was tough trying to do stuff with a flashlight in one hand...

I have the two lamp version like that on the tripod. I like the two light version as I can aim one at the grill and the other at my work table or the smoker. They are very handy. Especially since its getting dark here at 430 now.

I have been using the head lamp for years now, works great and hands free, but I have the bonus, the blood light, since i am an archery deer killer (yum) the blood light function works great, even better for grillin in the dark, turn it on and blood light lets me know how well done the meat is, clear juice or blood. Blood lights up like on CSI,

I turn on the house floodlights, and/or back porch lights, and if that's not enough I use some battery operated lamps kept for when the elec. goes out. For the gas grill I also have a weber light attached, for the OTP, I'm SOL depending on the flood or porch lights............................d

I have my grill positioned right under a large floodlight on my deck, so that's what I use for after dark cooking. The only down side is that it lights up my whole backyard, so my neighbors are free to watch the action.

I also have one of those Weber LED lights that attach to the handle of the Genesis, but I've found too many times that the on button is bumped while underneath the cover and then I end up with a collection of dead batteries.

These lamps are quite safe to use, even in wet conditions. I've had one of these in my driveway for thirty years, IR- operated, so it turns it self on when something moves in the area. I have replaced the lamp a couple of times, because the IR part has stopped working, but there has been no problems with water or rather cold conditions. In fact it detects movement better during winter because of the temperature difference between cars, peolple, animals and the surroundings.

I have the two lamp version like that on the tripod. I like the two light version as I can aim one at the grill and the other at my work table or the smoker. They are very handy. Especially since its getting dark here at 430 now.

I also have the two light version and use it the same way.

About 2 months ago I had to get up at 0' dark thirty to put some butts on and used the lights. It was POURING rain the whole time. I was able to point the lights slightly downward to keep the water off the lenses and didn't have any problems with cracking them. The light given off was great even with it pointing down

Here is my arsenal that I use to light up my grill area at night. Yes all 4 do get used.....not at the same time but they all get used. My twin halogen work light, rayovac led latern, dewalt work light, and my favorite, my 1970's coleman lantern.

7E8D3182-EFE6-4EC7-A479-08663A9CD153_zpsy4gpgzox.jpg

Last edited:
Yep I have and use a similar device for BBQ. Been out ice fishing at night stayed overnight in the huts and it was the greatest little tool. Cheap and simple to use.

Just a hint here when you put in the Halogen light bulb, wear some thin rubber gloves, i didn't read the distructions as usual
and the bulb burnt out on the second time i used the the lamp because of the oil in the skin on your hands.

JeffG is absolutely correct about the halogen bulbs. You can use clean cotton gloves, also (doesn't have to be rubber)...

FWIW,
Keep on smokin',

Dale53:wsm:

Thanks Robert for the clean cotton gloves (doesn't have to be rubber) clarification.

All i had was rubber gloves and my halogen light has worked perfectly since then.

I wasn't trying to be a "smarty pants" (my grandchildren's phrase:rolleyes:) just trying to help others. The important thing is to keep the bulb CLEAN. I have even successfully used alcohol to clean a bulb when someone else inadvertently touched one before installing with good results.

Jeff, we are on the same page, here, and that was an excellent suggestion on your part...

Dale53

Robert Smarty Pants McGee has a nice ring to it…hehe

We were just pointing out the obvious, the last thing you need is a no light on your BBQ grill, WSM, or where you left your last beer.

Back